Strange problem any thoughts?

Basically ps/2 Keyboard and Mouse have stopped working. Tried different keyboard and mouse, no change (USB mouse works fine though) . Replaced motherboard, still no change.

My thoughts at the moment are that it is the power supply, any other suggestions?

CC

Assuming you're not using wireless devices, try that little device made to measure ohms (dunno the english name, maybe ohmmeter), while the mouse is disconnected.

For each inmouse pin/cable, try to find the corresponding PS/2 connector pin. If one is missing, it's likely that the cable is broken somewhere.

Tried the mouse/keyboard on another computer ?

Tried keyboard and mouse on other computer, they work fine.
Tried other keyboard and mouse on mine, doesn't work.

Worth adding that the fault doesn't always happen straight away, sometimes they work for a few minutes before not working.

CC

_xxx_ said:
Could also be that you have some heat problems, CC.
Fairly decent chieftec case, all fans look to be working ok.
The problem sometimes occurs immediatly i.e. power on the machine, can't even get into bios setup screen.

What do you suggest I check with the continuity tester?

Ingenu suggested to check the cables from your mouse/kb to the PS/2 connector, but if these work with another machine that's proof enough that the cables are ok. Can't you try another PSU? From some of your friends maybe? That would at least eliminate any doubts.

Sounds like you may indeed have some a power issue, tried another PSU ?

I suggested opening the mouse and check the internal connector points and the PS/2 pins, to see whether a cable is broken.
I've opened my Intellimouse and repaired it once already, it's pretty easy but somewhat time consuming.
But since they work with another comp that's not it.

[edit, gah _xxx_ beat me to it)

Captain Chickenpants said:
My thoughts at the moment are that it is the power supply, any other suggestions?

CC

You may have been cursed by a gypsy.

You haven't irritated any Romany travellers recently, have you? :p

Back