Stop IE from opening new window

I feel pretty stupid asking this. My computer has been infected with spywares I can not remove. And every 2 minutes they poping up new IE windows. I try various pop up blockers, but they do not work to well. So is there any way to stop IE from starting new windows altogether.

I made a little application for a guy at the Maxthon forum that had the same problem. You could try having my program running to prevent the IE windows from spawning.

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22287&view=findpost&p=141177

That version was hooked into Maxthon though, here's the code that would fit your needs a little better.

Code:
#NoTrayIcon

AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
hotKeySet("^{F1}","toggle")
hotKeySet("!{F1}","terminate")
$isEnabled = 1
toggle()

while 1 
  if $isEnabled then
    If ProcessExists("iexplore.exe") then ProcessClose("iexplore.exe")
    $handle = WinGetHandle("classname=Internet Explorer_TridentDlgFrame", "")
    if $handle then winClose($handle)
  endIf
  sleep(100)
Wend

func toggle()
	$isEnabled = NOT $isEnabled
	if $isEnabled then
		msgBox(4096,"","No Longer blocking IE windows from spawning",0)		
	else
		msgBox(4096,"","Blocking IE windows from spawning",0)
	endIf

endFunc

func terminate()
	msgBox(4096,"","Terminating IE blocker",0)
  exit
endFunc

You can compile if it you install AutoIt

You toggle the blocking with CTRL+F1, and terminate the program with ALT+F1 (both will give you a confirmation dialog)

silence said:
or you could start using different browser? ;)

Does not help if he has spyware in his computer, (which he could have gotten when he installed any typeof application actively... eg, kazaa)

It's not an IE issue, the spyware is just using IE to display the ads.

He could try deleting iexplore.exe from his harddrive of course... That might work unless windows blocks it. :p

Step 1) Open task manager and manually shut down any programs that are running that shouldn't be. If you are unsure skip to step 2.

Step 2) Download adaware, install

Step 3) Get an Anti Virus program like Norton, NOD32, Kaspersky, etc.

Step 4) restart the computer in safe mode and run adaware, once done scan your entire harddrive with the antivirus program.

That should rid you of the pesky viri/adware. If neither of those work then you can also try spybot search and destroy as well as HijackThis.

IE is fine as long as you configure it and/or patch it properly. Since you are obviously visiting questionable websites I would suggest you either use Firefox, Opera, etc. or install SP2 if you haven't already. Or you can go into tools->internet options->security->custom level and set all activex and script commands to either diabled or prompt.

Back