Steve Irwin has died...

Sad day, impressive guy and a good heart. I never thought he took unneccessary risks, he always seemed very controlled in his work, it didn't seem like he was ever outside his safety zone (from years of experience).

It looked like a freakish accident, from something that normally is never life threatening.

Aw....

I watching Animal Planet right now. Suddenly see him in a new light.

Seems like he had a pretty good life. Lives come in all different lengths, after all.

whilst its typical for ppl to eulojize when someones died, if someone was a f-wit alive, after they died i'ld still call them a f-wit.
anyways steve urwin was the single greatest living australian (who is now?, cant think of anyone that jumps out )
sure there was a lot of act in his personality.
oddly austrialians never really liked him, his star burnt much brighter outside oz

Last edited by a moderator:
was the single greatest living australian (who is now?, cant think of anyone that jumps out )

Mel Gibson :devilish:

I took Steves death surprisingly hard last night...went up to get a pizza and I was feeling a little sick in my stomach the whole time. Ate my food in silence, and went to bed. Feeling much better today...I guess it just had to sink it properly.

How else would he die? Old age? Car accident? I'd like to think that even he would pick something like this over anything else. Of course I'd rather he got to spend more time with his family, see his children grow up, but he died doing what he loved. That's not something you can say about the vast majority of people.

... but he died doing what he loved. That's not something you can say about the vast majority of people.
I really liked watching his documentaries but as a father I will never understand that dangerous act of his, holding his baby son while feeding the croc. He'd defended it but he could have slipped. Despite what he said in defense, what he didn't say was that he wouldn't have done it if there weren't any cameras arounds. That was being overly confident to the point of being an irresponsible parent.

Mel Gibson :devilish:

I took Steves death surprisingly hard last night...went up to get a pizza and I was feeling a little sick in my stomach the whole time. Ate my food in silence, and went to bed. Feeling much better today...I guess it just had to sink it properly.
I had one too many Castlemaine XXXXs last night, to toast his memory. I feel a little sick in my stomach this morning (since the lager really is absolutely goddamn disgusting :LOL: ), too.

'holding his baby son while feeding the croc'
i gotta honestly say that would be in his top10 ( wacko with baby over the railing doesnt cut it sorry ),
also up there when he jumps overboard into the water at night and the crocs like twice as big as he though
and the time up in that cave with the black snake + terri
all 3 great comedy moments

Mel Gibson
well he was born in the US but i suppose hes more an ozzie (more so than say rolf harris, plays the ozzie card to the max but hes llived in england for the last 50+ years :oops: ), yeah mels drunken outburst recently has moved him up in my books, not the antisemetic part though, as thats bad of course + certainly unwaranted as jews WRT populationwise have prolly commited more to the advacement of humanity (well maybe not over the last few decades)

Last edited by a moderator:
He might have been insane, but a very likeable kind of insane. And he sure was an entertainer.

My favourite insanity was when he was walking around to his waist in muddy water. You couldn't see 1 cm in it. He's saying that there's a croc somwhere there. When he sees some turbulence on the water surface, he walks over there, poking around with a stick. Then he found it, and just dived down into the water. After some wrestling (you could only see the turbulence on the water surface), he rose with the croc in his arms.

I has been confirmed, as per a couple articles on the Drudge Report, that his death was indeed filmed, though they never plan on airing the footage. Also, they are reporting that before his death, in true Crocodile Hunter form, he pulled the stingray's barb from his chest, then died within a minute after.

Yikes. Perhaps not the best thing to have done, though of course he probably did not know the extent of his injuries.

I think he was probably in a no win situation there. Leave the barb in to stem the bleeding and the venom would have killed him. Take it out and he bleeds to death. I did read some reports that said he suffered cardiac arrest due to the venom stopping his heart, but I guess we won't really know the definate cause of death until they do an autopsy.

Whatever could have been done after such a serious injury, his chances of survival must have been very small as he was so far away from medical assistance.

I think I would have respected him more if he did the odd film about birds of paradise or butterflies rather than things that got ratings.

Mind you, the butterflies can probably savage you to death in Australia, place is full of things that can kill.

Mind you, the butterflies can probably savage you to death in Australia, place is full of things that can kill.
butterfly_small.jpg

Back