Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

You're.....joking, right? A whole lot of Star Citizen's continued funding is coming from people who have fallen 10,000ft deep into the sunk cost fallacy.
It depends whether people bought the content because they wanted it as was, or whether they bought it to help fund SC becoming the game they want. I imagine not many are the latter and it's as tuna says, people buying content for a game they are playing.

I imagine not many are the latter
Then you have not observed much of the Star Citizen community. People were literally purchasing hugely expensive ships that didn't even exist yet! And Star Citizen's *entire* funding has essentially been an exercise in people wanting to support what the game could be. What they dream in their heads it's gonna be like at the end of it all, even though reality will almost certainly not match that.

I don't really get that "sunk cost" discussion regarding Star Citizen. You have the ships you have paid for, you don't really have to pay anything more to continue playing the way you have. It seems different from WoW etc. where you have to pay a subscription to keep playing and be a part of the community.
You're working under some assumption that everybody is rational and reasonable. They are not. That was the whole point of my little tangent there.

And it's funny you bring up the 'you have the ships you paid for', cuz there are absolutely cases where this isn't even true! CIG were absolutely selling ships that didn't exist yet.

It depends whether people bought the content because they wanted it as was, or whether they bought it to help fund SC becoming the game they want. I imagine not many are the latter and it's as tuna says, people buying content for a game they are playing.
This is a question that cannot be answered without statistics and anyone can arrive to whatever conclusion suits them...
If I were to guess, I'd say it's the opposite, and the vast majority of people that bought in, are not playing the game, but it's pretty clear I'm negatively biased.

Last edited:
Is Star Citizen going to be a one time purchase or subscription based?
does Star Citizen rely on Cig running servers?
if they do, when Cig eventually shut down the servers there's going to be a lot of angry people who have just lost thousands of dollars worth of ships

I'd imagine that the type of engagement the game sees is unusual compared to typical games. The demographics are also almost certainly unusual for the people that like to buy a lot of ships. The folks that I know of that play tend to come and go as a sort of pilgrimage. That type of irregular engagement probably lends itself to buying add-ons. And the dollar amounts we're talking about here are kind of peanuts, frankly. Most of the ships are 2-3 figures. You have a weekend off, the family is away, so you buy a ship and explore around. If you have a friend or two that you meet up with then that makes the expense inconsequential. It's basically the cost of a night out for a couple people.

Back