Spybot 1.3

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Do you use this anti-spyware program?

It is supposed to detect spyware intrusions (Immunize option), however, I run "Check and Verify" and they keep coming. SpyBot is upto date.

What's wrong?

Like virus scanners, spyware detectors are only as good as their definitions. Do you keep them up to date?

Diplo said:
Like virus scanners, spyware detectors are only as good as their definitions. Do you keep them up to date?

Spybot is up to date, as well as my AVG free edition. AVG does detect trojans regularly.

A lot of spyware and trojans still aren't actively treated as malware by all the programs that try to protect you. And there's so many of them, that it depends on the program used if it is detected and/or seen as such. Try another spy sweeper as well.

How come you get so much spyware, anyway? In all the time I've had my PC I've never had any 'proper' spyware (tracking cookies etc. really don't count).

Other alternatives are AdAware SE and the beta Microsoft Anti-Spyware. However, SpyBot is supposed to be good, so I'm not sure why it's failing you...

I use Spyware Doctor and Spybot, and Panda AV online scanner. To date only a few tracking cookies and thats it.

Firefox.
Turn off cookies.
Make exceptions for friendly sites eg b3d (needed to log in to forum).
Use Adblock extension with wildcard (OMG what a great feature :!: )

Sweet F.A. sites actually have difficulty if you turn off cookies.

arrrse said:
Firefox.
Turn off cookies.
Make exceptions for friendly sites eg b3d (needed to log in to forum).
Use Adblock extension with wildcard (OMG what a great feature :!: )

Sweet F.A. sites actually have difficulty if you turn off cookies.

acctually set cookies to "allow sites to set cookies", but choose "ask me every time" option in Keep cookies drop down menu....

that way you have total control over cookies.... ;)

I don't want to be asked every time.
I want to say no every time except when I know its needed & I trust the site.

arrrse said:
Why? What harm do you think cookies could possibly do to you?

arrrse said:

then dont allow cookies and create list of sites you trust and those cookies will be accepted....
i rather have FF ask me, cause you never know if u gonna stumble upon something usefull that needs you to use cookies.... and its also fun to see how many advertising cookies there are around acctually.....

even when you visit some of top internet sites you get bombarded by cookies from ads they run....i sooooo enjoy pressing no.... ;)

arrrse said:
When firefox pops up the dialogue box you can always tell it to remember how to handle cookies from that site.

Did you 3 guys even bother to read my first post in this thread??? :rolleyes:

Default off = no hassle at all on all but very few sites.
Make exception for stuff like forums.
I have 28 cookies. 2 are google preferences the rest are forum login related.

Back