Speculation and Rumors: Nvidia Blackwell ...

It did, 40 series did not sell all that well compared to 30 series, hence why they released the Super refresh.

Steam Hardware Survey (September 2024) seems to suggest otherwise, as 4060 (4.58%) is currently #2 compared to 3060 (5.86%) at #1, 4060 Laptop (4.37%) #3, and 4060 Ti (3.66%) #4, compared to 3060 Ti (3.57%) at #6. 4070 (2.91%) is lower than 3070 (3.31%) but not by much, especially considering 4070 was released much later. 4070 Super is 1.47%.
I think it's probably only 4080 (0.72%) that's significantly worse than 3080 (1.94%) but 4080 seems to be not selling well as even 4090 (0.93%) has higher market share.

Yeah, the existence of Super refresh doesn't tell us anything about how well 40 series has sold. It is far more likely that the lack of said update with 30 series was a result of mining GPU demand removing the need for any update back then. It is also anyone's guess into how many of these 30 series sales ended up in gamers hands to begin with.

It did, 40 series did not sell all that well compared to 30 series, hence why they released the Super refresh.
For the entirety of the high end series (4080/4090) I was under the assumption there was usually more demand then supply. The company met or exceeded their sales targets for the enthusiast tiers, especially the 4090.

Take it with a grain of salt but TomsHardware arrived at approximately 125000 - 160000 units sold of 4090s the first month of release based on Steam Deck and GPU hardware monthly statistics. Their approach was pretty smart but there were other data issues that month didn't help much with their conclusion. However a statement from Valve confirmed some of their Steam Deck numbers which would indicate they sold a few million of 4090s.

Last edited:
For the entirety of the high end series (4080/4090) I was under the assumption there was usually more demand then supply. The company met or exceeded their sales targets for the enthusiast tiers, especially the 4090.
I think this was the case for the 4090 but not the 4080. They did effectively cut the 4080 MSRP by $200 and it still comfortably sits at the new $1000 MSRP. The 4090 has spent much of its life above the $1600 MSRP and is now effectively an $1800-$2000 card.

FWIW Kopite7kimi don't think that 5090 will be much more expensive than 4090:

I don’t think even Nvidia knows exactly how much it will be - price is the easiest thing to change on a SKU. I would be surprised if they weren’t at least floating a much higher price point to partners to gauge reaction. Interesting that he doesn’t mention the 5080 though - he was referring to the MLID leak including 5080 up to $1500. But I can’t see them launching even a $1,400 5080 and leaving the 5090 at $2k - although who knows, they tried it last Gen!

But ultra high end monster GPUs aren't really intended for such cases. If you're going with small form factor, you should be looking at something less than "peak workstation" hardware.
Plenty of Mini-ITX cases support the length of large GPUs and have sufficient cooling, but max out at 2-2.5 slots. I can understand a '90 class card not fitting if we think of that as a Titan replacement. However the '80 class cards didn't use to be "peak workstation" hardware.

I don’t think even Nvidia knows exactly how much it will be - price is the easiest thing to change on a SKU.
Nvidia knows exactly how much it can be but the final pricing will depend on their decisions on competitive landscape and projected supply/demand figures. It is true that final pricing is usually the last thing which is being set for any SKU but that doesn't mean that this pricing can be whatever, there is a range - and this range is usually communicated to AIBs so that they could decide on how to build their own lineups.

Back