Sony's new CLIE with Sony built custom CPU CLIE PEG-UX50

Katsura said:
So err...

I'll take a PPC with a PowerVR MBX over this anyday. Character recognition or a tiny yet bulkty keypad?

You'd rather type on a tiny, useless, no feedback, can only see a tiny line of what you typed on screen keyboard and make the screen dirty and oily, rather than use a dedicated hardware/ feedback keyboard?

There is nothing wrong with Sony's design studio, it is the way you discuess that probably warrents an early retirement?

P.S. A fat hand != a big hand, fat hand can have short stubby fingures, the dude from the first picture does not appear have fat hands either.

Read below ;)

BTW look at the two pictures...they're NOT the same unit. The second pic shows a huge unit and using a SUMO wrestler's hand to try and make it look like it's actually small ;)

Seeing only one line when you type ? How brilliant !

01.gif

It doesn't have to run in fullscreen ;)

PC-Engine said:
I don't want no stupid hardware keyboards on a PPC.
I want this ;)

Oh come on, that's the stupidest thing I ever saw. No tactile feedback whatsoever sucks even worse than those idiotic membrane keyboards you found on some home computers ages ago (Atari 400XL was one of them I believe). How on earth are you supposed to type properly on that thing using just your thumbs? Sony's idea is muchmuchMUCH better. God, I'm in love, I want that thing YESTERDAY, with the battery pack and a 1GB memory stick to go along with it! :)

You might just as well admit it, PC, you hate anything that's branded with the Sony logo. It's clear from reading your posts. ;)

Who needs a built-in hardware keyboard that just takes up space?

Takes up space how? You mean your screen keyboard doesn't take up space? What, it's folded into a black hole or something? Of course it takes up space; SCREEN SPACE, which is far more precious than anything else. Unless you completely missed that, you might have noticed Sony's thingy has a twisting screen that folds up neatly over the keyboard if you don't need to use it. Having a keyboard that can be put away in a convenient manner is FAR sexier than not having a keyboard at all, but instead just a touch-sensitive screen.

Typing on your screen with your fingers and a huge non-tactile on-screen keyboard is going to create lots of errors from hitting keys you never intended to hit, keys you intended to hit but did not register as well as pure slip-ups. It will be hugely cumbersome since you can't see the text you're entering! I'm a writer myself (in the last fifteen or so months, I have produced upwards of half a million words of text, and that does not include message board posts such as this one), I could never function like that. Not to mention, you'll smear up your screen this way just like others have already pointed out.

Typing with a stylus on that minimal on-screen keyboard is going to be even slower, you're totally off your rockers if you believe EITHER of those solutions will be superior to a true hardware keyboard. Why do you think mobile phone manufacturers have produced chatboard add-ons for example, huh?

It's a STUPID idea period. SONY needs to hire new engineers.

Pardon me, but....BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's how funny that was.

*G*

Grall said:
PC-Engine said:
I don't want no stupid hardware keyboards on a PPC.
I want this ;)

Oh come on, that's the stupidest thing I ever saw. No tactile feedback whatsoever sucks even worse than those idiotic membrane keyboards you found on some home computers ages ago (Atari 400XL was one of them I believe). How on earth are you supposed to type properly on that thing using just your thumbs? Sony's idea is muchmuchMUCH better. God, I'm in love, I want that thing YESTERDAY, with the battery pack and a 1GB memory stick to go along with it! :)

You might just as well admit it, PC, you hate anything that's branded with the Sony logo. It's clear from reading your posts. ;)

Who needs a built-in hardware keyboard that just takes up space?

Takes up space how? You mean your screen keyboard doesn't take up space? What, it's folded into a black hole or something? Of course it takes up space; SCREEN SPACE, which is far more precious than anything else. Unless you completely missed that, you might have noticed Sony's thingy has a twisting screen that folds up neatly over the keyboard if you don't need to use it. Having a keyboard that can be put away in a convenient manner is FAR sexier than not having a keyboard at all, but instead just a touch-sensitive screen.

Typing on your screen with your fingers and a huge non-tactile on-screen keyboard is going to create lots of errors from hitting keys you never intended to hit, keys you intended to hit but did not register as well as pure slip-ups. It will be hugely cumbersome since you can't see the text you're entering! I'm a writer myself (in the last fifteen or so months, I have produced upwards of half a million words of text, and that does not include message board posts such as this one), I could never function like that. Not to mention, you'll smear up your screen this way just like others have already pointed out.

Typing with a stylus on that minimal on-screen keyboard is going to be even slower, you're totally off your rockers if you believe EITHER of those solutions will be superior to a true hardware keyboard. Why do you think mobile phone manufacturers have produced chatboard add-ons for example, huh?

It's a STUPID idea period. SONY needs to hire new engineers.

Pardon me, but....BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's how funny that was.

*G*

01.gif

I'm laughing too ;) :LOL:

A typing class really helps you learn how to type correctly. Once you memorize where all the keys are, a stylus is pretty fast actually. Of course if you don't have the manual dexterity unlike myself then that's just your problem ;)

P.S. The non-fullscreen mode also allows fingered input if you're too slow with the stylus ;)

Read the reviews if you still think it doesn't work well :p

The mini onscreen keyboard still has all the drawbacks of the big onscreen version except you can see more text, and a few more drawbacks to boot. Stylus input isn't ever going to beat finger-typing simply because you got more fingers than you got styluses. The small version still offers no feedback and it's smaller so even easier to mistype (especially with fingers, since palmtop screens are way small to begin with).

No, you don't convince me, much less impress me with that crap man. :D There's no substitute for a real keyboard when one has to type something that's longer than a name, password or a few words.

*G*

hpc_sl5600_pic2_h174.jpg

hpc_sl5500_pic2_h174.jpg

I own a Sharp <a href=http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeLanding/0,1056,112,00.html>Zaurus</a>. It features real handwriting-recognition, mini-on-screen-keyboard, uni-code input, ABCDE bar and qwerty-keyboard. All methods work great, but the hardware keyboard is priceless. Since the Zaurus is powered by embedded Linux, you'll use it a lot and it works great with two thumbs, way faster than the mini-on-screen-keyboard. The hardware one is also very useful, while running fullscreen apps like emulators, VNC, etc.

Best way to type on the Zaurus is logged on via SSH or VNC tunnelled through SSH and use a real full-size keyboard ;)

A typing class really helps you learn how to type correctly. Once you memorize where all the keys are, a stylus is pretty fast actually.
I'm sorry, but anyone who can say this, and show the picture of QWERTY keyboard that you are supposed to use with the stylus is clueless. Simple as that. Have you ever used any of these devices you seem to be so expertly informed about?

BTW look at the two pictures...they're NOT the same unit. The second pic shows a huge unit and using a SUMO wrestler's hand to try and make it look like it's actually small
OK... this is just bloody insane. I'm at the loss of words here. For the sake of your sanity I hope you are just joking/trolling here. Of course it's the same damn unit:
img_ux50_2_sm.jpg

img_sony_ux50_1_sm.jpg

img_clie_ux50j_sm.jpg

Fat Hands? Does the dimensions posted earlier mean nothing to you?

Marco, please edit that post of yours, the pics are useless (we've seen them before) and they make the board fuck up the layout of the page (it gets wider than the window).

Thanks. :)

*G*

ChryZ said:
I own a Sharp <a href=http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeLanding/0,1056,112,00.html>Zaurus</a>. It features real handwriting-recognition, mini-on-screen-keyboard, uni-code input, ABCDE bar and qwerty-keyboard. All methods work great, but the hardware keyboard is priceless. Since the Zaurus is powered by embedded Linux, you'll use it a lot and it works great with two thumbs, way faster than the mini-on-screen-keyboard. The hardware one is also very useful, while running fullscreen apps like emulators, VNC, etc.

Best way to type on the Zaurus is logged on via SSH or VNC tunnelled through SSH and use a real full-size keyboard ;)

The Sharp Linux PDAs are the current best ones IMHO, but the battery life is still a problem, and so do the other PPC and Palm based PDAs. With Linux, I have a lot of freedom to create my own software, tools and have access to a very good TCP/IP stack.

I like the EPOC32 based Ericcson P800 a lot, but the same battery life problem bugs me, and it does not have a physical keyboard.

maskrider said:
The Sharp Linux PDAs are the current best ones IMHO, but the battery life is still a problem, and so do the other PPC and Palm based PDAs. With Linux, I have a lot of freedom to create my own software, tools and have access to a very good TCP/IP stack.
I use the Zaurus for 10 month now, the battery life never bugged me much. Outdoors or indoors with much light you could switch of the backlight, then you'll get 6-8 hours out of it. With backlight 4 hours. With CF2 wireless LAN 90-120min. The batteries recharge in under 60min. I hardly use the PMT for 120min in one go, it is suspending in one sec and comes up in one sec ... it keeps network shares mounted of course (smb,nfs,etc.). I love to walk around in the house/garden, headphones plugged into the Zaurus and listing to MP3s or OGGs via WLAN (the files on my network-shares) :)

The Zaurus is quit inexpensive, the 5500 is somewhere at (€|$)300.
Linux knowledge is a must to get some fun out of it.

http://www.openzaurus.org/
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/zaurus-faq/

Screw, don't argue with him.

If he prefers a small soft keyboard that SIMULATES typing on a real keyboard, so be it. iPaq screen is 3.8 inches diagonally. The Clie is 4.1 by 3.4 by 0.75 inches. Even if you use the entire iPaq screen for a keyboard, it would still be smaller. So much for the big hands argument.

Most of the world can type text messages rather quickly on their cell phones - I'm sure they could do even better on a QWERTY keyboard.

I'm sorry, but anyone who can say this, and show the picture of QWERTY keyboard that you are supposed to use with the stylus is clueless. Simple as that. Have you ever used any of these devices you seem to be so expertly informed about?

Do you even know what the home keys are???? You probably have never taken a typing class in your entire life :LOL: A typing class forces you to memorize a QWERTY layout so that you can type by touch. As a matter of fact if you successfully complete a typing class you can type with your eyes CLOSED because you know where all the keys are. Granted you can't do that with a stylus but the point is that you know where all the keys are so you don't have to look around for a specific letter. The screenshot of the nonfullscreen keyboard is laid out just like any other PC keyboard and if you know how to CORRECTLY type from taking a typing class you wouldn't have ANY problems. Why don't you read the REVIEWS before you open your mouth???

OK... this is just bloody insane. I'm at the loss of words here. For the sake of your sanity I hope you are just joking/trolling here. Of course it's the same damn unit
img_new_sony_p.jpg

Take off your goggles man. THAT is about the same height as a folded GBA SP.

THIS

sony201.jpg

IS NOT!!!

Screw, don't argue with him.

If he prefers a small soft keyboard that SIMULATES typing on a real keyboard, so be it. iPaq screen is 3.8 inches diagonally. The Clie is 4.1 by 3.4 by 0.75 inches. Even if you use the entire iPaq screen for a keyboard, it would still be smaller. So much for the big hands argument.

Most of the world can type text messages rather quickly on their cell phones - I'm sure they could do even better on a QWERTY keyboard.

Read the reviews for that software keyboard then get back to me ;)

PC, I don't care how many typing classes you take, no amount of typing classes is going to make you a fast typer on an on-screen keyboard where you can't feel if you're hitting the right button or not! Not to mention the fact it occupies just about the whole damn screen.

Stylus typing is just going to be way way slower than anything else so don't even mention it.

All this is just bullshit from you, wish you'd stop, as you're bordering on trolling right now. Anyone with the smallest amount of common sense is going to realize that a proper hardware keyboard WILL be far superior, why else do you think we still HAVE mechanical keyboards attached to our computers, huh?

And the units in the two pics definitely are the same size, held differently, by possibly different-sized hands. Of course, unfolding the unit will make it look bigger, that's just common sense man.

It's still gorgeous, and I still want one. :D Damn, I'd have sex with the queen of England if it meant she'd give me one of these! :LOL:

*G*

Anyone with the smallest amount of common sense is going to realize that a proper hardware keyboard WILL be far superior, why else do you think we still HAVE mechanical keyboards attached to our computers, huh?

Keyboards for computers are far more superior..why is that? Because you use ALL your fingers not just your thumbs ;)

A person who types 40 wpm on a regular computer keyboard isn't going to be typing 40 wpm on that STUPID Clie. They'll be typing like 10 wpm. ;)

You think people can't input 10 wpm with a software keyboard and stylus? :LOL:

Again...read the reviews. The sofware keyboard works well whether people want to admit it or not.

maskrider said:
I like the EPOC32 based Ericcson P800 a lot, but the same battery life problem bugs me, and it does not have a physical keyboard.

i'm considering the upcoming nokia 6600 -- epoc 7.0s, 6MB internal memory, 32MB bundled MMC, bluetooth, 176x208 hi-color screen, tripple-band GSM, built-in VGA camera (quite decent, if it's on the 7650 level)

Hey Kats, so that's the trick huh. Now I know how to get you to climb out of your hole down there at EA on that god forsaken not continent, just post about the little Sony devices :p
Anyway thanks for the lesson on naming convention, I still find it confusing in a way, but at least I can see there's some logic behind it after all :)

PCEngine said:
Again...read the reviews. The sofware keyboard works well whether people want to admit it or not.
Interesting how you went from adamant bashing of keyboard concept on the first page (including software keyboards I posted) to upplaying the very same software keyboards on next page :)
Either way, you're arguing addons are inherently superior to built in features (because they don't add unnecessary bulk to the core parts). Not that I'm saying you're necesserily wrong, but I'd like to see you convince XBox owners of that "fact " :devilish:
And whatever you defend, the foldable "full size" keyboard I posted works a whole lot better then any of those, with the tiny problem that you need to use it as a laptop... :oops:

Anyway I don't see what's the whole debate about size - the actual numbers are listed right there in every article. You can always draw a box of the same size on a piece of paper and see how it fits with your own hands Or compare the dimensions to other handhelds of choice.

darkblu said:
maskrider said:

i'm considering the upcoming nokia 6600 -- epoc 7.0s, 6MB internal memory, 32MB bundled MMC, bluetooth, 176x208 hi-color screen, tripple-band GSM, built-in VGA camera (quite decent, if it's on the 7650 level)

Yeah, that's a possible choice for me, too. But I would wait for more comment on the software side and the battery life before committing.

Do you even know what the home keys are???? You probably have never taken a typing class in your entire life A typing class forces you to memorize a QWERTY layout so that you can type by touch.
Dear God, just when you think craziness has stopped...

What the heck does one's ability to memorize positions of keys on QWERTY keyboard has to do with one's ability to type on such a tiny keyboard using stylys?

There is a soft keyboard optimized for stylys usage and it's called FITALY. QWERTY keyboards are not even optimal for typing with ten fingers, much less one stylus, and have been arranged like that since the old times because they had to make sure keys don't get stuck in the old mechanical typewriters.

No matter how much you try to argue it, having a keyboard with some mechanical feedback and typing on it using two thumbs will gain you more speed than any stylys based input or on-screen keyboard.

Take off your goggles man. THAT is about the same height as a folded GBA SP.
Why do you have to argue something so obvious and just make a fool out of yourself? Would you please enlighten me *what* device is that *other* device if it's not the same one as in the first picture? If the pictures I posted above, and the dimensions someone posted earlier can't convince you, how about this: The device pictured is the only Sony PDA with horizontal screen that folds like this. The devices on those two pictures simply cannot be anything but one and the same. Besides, why do you even care if it's a sumo wrestler's hand there? You have *dimensions* of the damn thing. Draw it on paper and compare it with your own hand if you want.

PC-Engine said:
A person who types 40 wpm on a regular computer keyboard isn't going to be typing 40 wpm on that STUPID Clie. They'll be typing like 10 wpm. ;)

You think people can't input 10 wpm with a software keyboard and stylus? :LOL:

If you type 10wpm using two thumbs, would it not stand to reason you type (at most) 5 wpm using only one (or a stylus)? 10 wpm using stylus or 20WPM using thumbs. What will it be? 5 or 10?

WhatEVER man. Continue to stay in denial just as you have the whole time. Believe the world is flat if you like, no skin off my nose. :) The rest of the universe however will agree with me, tactile feedback from a proper keyboard will be far far superior compared to a completely flat surface where you strike more or less blindly.

*G*

Yes they are quite cool... A couple execs here got some in a few weeks ago, and I got to play with one before the IT guys handed them off...

Back