Sony's new CLIE with Sony built custom CPU CLIE PEG-UX50

maskrider

Henshin !
Veteran
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/0717/sony2.htm

around 175g, 480x320 64K colours TFT with backlight, 104M total Flash memory, with 802.11b Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, IrDA, USB port and Memory Stick PRO port.

0.18u, 64Mbit eDRAM, core <-> memory 4x128bit bus connection, running Palm OS 5.2, Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Management (8-123MHz, core 1.2-1.6V, I/O 2.5-3.3V, standby 1.7mW, MPEG-4 playback around 270mW).

With standard battery, it is expected to last 14 days when the unit is used as a PIM for 30min everyday (with backlight off). There is also a large battery pack.

Could it be a test product before the PSP ?

Handheld Engine - Custom ARM CPU
sony206.jpg

The size
sony201.jpg

CLIE 3D Launcher (OpenGL)
sony215.jpg

edit: added some detail on the battery life.

This thing looks just awesome, both from a style and function perspective. I want it like, NOWWWWW! :D

My one complaint: where do we fit in international characters? Hopefully not through some awkward key combination, that would just suck!

*G*

Your slide shows it to be an arm system on a chip. These embedded processors can be customer customized, but i don't see your point as everyone does this.

PiNkY said:
Your slide shows it to be an arm system on a chip. These embedded processors can be customer customized, but i don't see your point as everyone does this.

I don't see everyone does that, it is packed with features and highly integrated.

It could be a test case product before the PSP on power management, eDRAM, Handheld MPEG-4 decoding, and high integration with all the communication interfaces and the OpenGL interface.

Going to have to agree with Pinky. While this is interesting in it's own right for it's design and technology, aswell as how the future of the Clie line and PSP will entangle or not shall be interesting at the least.

But, I see this as distinct from PSP in that it's a logical expansion of the Clie Line. Needless to say, I don't think we'll see this IC (or a derivative) in PSP.

Looks like my message was not delivered clearly.

The exact chip and OS will probably not be in PSP, what I mean is the integration, power management and 3D interface on a rather restricted resolution display.

maskrider said:
With standard battery, it is expected to last 14 days when the unit is used as a PIM for 30min everyday (with backlight off).

So, it last 7h with backlight off.

I agree. This is probably a warm-up design exercise for PSP.

sony205.jpg

Notice how there are very few other chips - I see a few switching voltage regulators, and 1-2 ICs. Not sure what that big black thing about the Handheld Engine is. I think PSP will look about the same. Almost all of the logic integrated on one chip, mass-produced to keep the price down, and to easily take advantage of any new fabrication techniques.

nondescript said:

No offense intended, but I don't understand whatcha mean. Would you consider the 486DX a "warm-up" for the Pentium4?

Video will run more smoothly at 30 frames per second, he said. Battery life will last 16 hours with continuous playback of music, or five hours of video. An attachable battery accessory more than doubles that performance, he said.

The new handheld, which will have two models, also marks Sony's entry into wireless communication. One model, the PEG-UX50, priced at $699, features the short-range radio technologies called Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. A second model, the PEG-UX40, priced at $599, has only Bluetooth.

They better do good with this "test" model and come up with something cool for PSP. More battery life, less fiery battery draining parts and a lot less in cost...Of course, i really wish to see the "P4" of a PSP too.

16 hours music and 5 hours video is pretty damn incredible for a device of this kind.

I'll take a PPC with a PowerVR MBX over this anyday.
Too bad such thing does not exist.

Character recognition or a tiny yet bulkty keypad?
Good thing this device (like most later Clie models) has both.

Yeah probably.

Handheld Engine, Broadband Engine, Emotion Engine :LOL: What's next ?

Is UMD used on this product ?

Anyway the Handheld Engine is on 0.18u process, PSP MIPS based all in one processor will be on 0.09u process. They still have time to improve battery life too. I also hope they included a better screen on PSP.

marconelly! said:
I'll take a PPC with a PowerVR MBX over this anyday.
Too bad such thing does not exist.

Character recognition or a tiny yet bulkty keypad?
Good thing this device (like most later Clie models) has both.

It doesn't exist now, but if you think PPC's with integrated 3D won't exist in the next couple years then you're kidding yourself ;)

BTW it's a STUPID idea to have both get it? A keypad adds un-needed bulk. Compare that monstrosity with a PPC. A PPC doesn't need to be unfolded and on a PPC the screen takes up the majority of it's size not some stupid redundant keypad. BTW what idiot is going to be typing on that itsy bitsy kepad when writing is ten times faster??? :LOL:

Don't let brand loyalty get in the way of common sense...

PCEngine said:
It doesn't exist now, but...
Said the Palm users 3 years ago when PPCs started coming out with better features then Palms.

BTW what idiot is going to be typing on that itsy bitsy kepad when writing is ten times faster???
The same idiot I imagine that bought/uses this...
phone_presviewer9290.jpg

Or this...
SnapNType006.jpg

Or heck... even these...
akbdscr_p.jpg

fitalyshortcut.gif

But nope... the SMART people will always carry around one of these instead
digitally-unique_1750_5056354

After all, it's a well known fact that software and hardware addons are much superior to any kind of built in features. 8)
It's about freaking time for PPC and Palms makers to take a page out of x86 market book and start selling barebones Pocket motherboards.
The case, the screen, and any other useless crap that some stupid users also want, should be sold separate, after all I don't want prebuilt systems, I want the ability to upgrade.
Hell, they should make CPU and graphic chip detachable too while we're at it.

Someone should let these people know that the stylus is included will PPC's and the handwriting recognition software too :LOL:

BTW are you saying PPC's won't have integrated 3D graphics in the next couple of years? :LOL:

There's so many manufacturers make PPC's it's not even funny. Palm OS PDA's are like Apple computers are to PCs ;)

PC-Engine said:
Someone should let these people know that the stylus is included will PPC's and the handwriting recognition software too :LOL:

BTW are you saying PPC's won't have integrated 3D graphics in the next couple of years? :LOL:

There's so many manufacturers make PPC's it's not even funny. Palm OS PDA's are like Apple computers are to PCs ;)

I'd rather have a keyboard than writing, I had a Palm before and those Grafitti got me mad, writing is stupid, the problem was solved once I bought the Targus keyboard. If I have to write I would rather take out a sheet of paper from my non-electronic notebook and write it down. But in the end I have sold them all and rather wait until something like Sharp Linux PDA with a keyboard with acceptable battery life using standard battery.

Both Palm OS and PPC suck.

maskrider said:
PC-Engine said:

I'd rather have a keyboard than writing, I had a Palm before and those Grafitti got me mad, writing is stupid, the problem was solved once I bought the Targus keyboard. If I have to write I would rather take out a sheet of paper from my non-electronic notebook and write it down. But in the end I have sold them all and rather wait until something like Sharp Linux PDA with a keyboard with acceptable battery life using standard battery.

Both Palm OS and PPC suck.

If you're gonna cary a keyboard with you then why not just get a ultralight laptop PC? :p

Have you seen the Fujitsu P series mini laptops? Or the Sharp Actius series ultralights?

BTW how are you going to send emails with a piece of paper? ;)

It doesn't exist now, but if you think PPC's with integrated 3D won't exist in the next couple years then you're kidding yourself
Ah cool, but I'll just wait 20 years and get my holographic PDA device embedded in my front tooth. Or heck, I'll wait 30 years and get one integrated with my brain :p

BTW it's a STUPID idea to have both get it? A keypad adds un-needed bulk. Compare that monstrosity with a PPC.
Clies, even thought they unfold, are about the same size as most PPCs (keyboard can be flipped on the back of the screen so it doesn't add any extra bulk when you don't need it) and even include features like video camera and have higher resolution screen.

BTW what idiot is going to be typing on that itsy bitsy kepad when writing is ten times faster??? ... Someone should let these people know that the stylus is included will PPC's and the handwriting recognition software too
Have you ever tried using that stylys and recognition software? Well, I do it on a daily basis (I have a PPC) and thank God I don't have to enter more than a few words every now and then, because that kind of input is *frickin annoying AND slow* After three years of usage I still constantly make input mistakes, have to delete it than re-write again, etc. If I had to input more stuff this way I would give up long time ago and learned that FITALY thing which apparently allows by far the fastest text input with stylys. The handwriting recognition as of now, is a little more than a gimmick.

PC-Engine said:
If you're gonna cary a keyboard with you then why not just get a ultralight laptop PC? :p

BTW how are you going to send emails with a piece of paper? ;)

Oh, I have been using ultralight sub-notebook PC since the release of Toshiba Libretto 50CT, I am currently using a Libretto L5.

I'd rather find an Internet Cafe when I want to send an e-mail (via web mail) and have a coffee, when I am on the road, I'd rather make a call or send SMS with the chat pad (a very small keyboard for mobile phone).

edit: and BTW, my mobile phone can already read and write e-mail.

Back