Sony's Answer to Xbox Live Revealed

Xfire rocks, if the people at Sony are really doing this then I must extend my hand and say THANK YOU for making such a smart move.

With some tweaks and a few added functions XFire should be able to cover all of the bases.

Chat, audio chat, video chat, all could be easily added or already is part of XFire.

XFire supports a great way to tell you what people are playing, how many our on the server they are playing at, how long they've been playing, and how much total time they have played it. It works wonderfully and helps tons in getting clans and such all playing together with ease.

It allows to already browse servers for nearly all PC games, and since the PS3 is a closed platform I'm sure it could do this plus more.

It already features a Downloads such, expand the window and videos and such could be an easy addition.

Now Sony just needs to say this is true and that everything billing wise and name wise is unified. If this is done, then I must say Sony has either easily matched or even passed Xbox Live.

Nice.

This isn't that big of a deal imo. It's still going to lead to having multiple interfaces for the same online features in games, which I'm not fond of.

Unless something drastic has changed in the last little while, this news is being vastly misinterpreted.

In what sense? I don't think anyone's suggesting the other middleware partners already announced are being supplanted or the like. But the current thinking is that they're bringing different things to the table, I guess.

In what sense? I don't think anyone's suggesting the other middleware partners already announced are being supplanted or the like. But the current thinking is that they're bringing different things to the table, I guess.

I don't understand.... so it's not a single solution but an amalgamation of several partners?

X360 or original Xbox?

night and day difference IMO

if you've experienced X360 XBL (for more than 10 minutes) and still have the same opinion... well then.... you're wrong. ;)

Both....and im not wrong its called MY OPINION..

I don't understand.... so it's not a single solution but an amalgamation of several partners?

Well, I'd figured Gamespy and Quazal et al were providing developer libraries for the back end of games, for things like lobby creation, match making, and just the fundamental online code for multiplayer. Whereas something like Xfire would be relevant on the customer-facing side, the interface, the community, the communication aspects. That's the impression I've got anyway.

It sounds like Sony provides the Playstation Network Platform framework and partners such as XFire provide their solutions on top (and below ?). So a game devs can still pick and choose who to work with, but there is some consistency (e.g., unified login, if present).

We should just wait for the official announcements. There are many ways to interpret the framework.

It sounds like Sony provides the Playstation Network Platform framework and partners such as XFire provide their solutions on top (and below ?). So a game devs can still pick and choose who to work with, but there is some consistency (e.g., unified login, if present).

They've already said there'll be a unified login. I'm not sure if it's the case that things like xfire will run as discrete clients just as on the PC, and we pick which tools we want to use. I mean that could work, and that could be pretty interesting..but if the community is to be unified, it would sort of make that a little redundant (? i think anyway).

ok thanks guys... sorry in and out today, not much time to digest the info. like Patsu said... official announcement details would be nice.

This isn't that big of a deal imo. It's still going to lead to having multiple interfaces for the same online features in games, which I'm not fond of.
How do you know that? No mention was made at all of the interface, and the pic is just a mockup. We've no idea on features or presentation across the whole platform, short of a few XMB scenes and a list of what development partners are creating in other solutions.

X360 or original Xbox?

night and day difference IMO

if you've experienced X360 XBL (for more than 10 minutes) and still have the same opinion... well then.... you're wrong. ;)

I have to agree it's not all that, for the money I'm payin I expect more. Most games have fairly long wait times simply to join a game, many are full when you try and join, I've experience signifigant lag probably half the time I go online. I feel a little like I'm calling out teh emporer with no clothes here, but really it's not that seamless rock solid experience people make it out to be. Though, I have little perspective having never gamed online on PC or PS2, I don't know how those compare.

I dunno, for $60 a year, I want dedicated servers because this whole hosting on the client machine thing just doesn't seem that hot.

This seems like a great move by Sony, hopefully it kicks all kinds of ass and MS is forced to one-up them. This is exactly why competition is vital to the industry.

I dunno, for $60 a year, I want dedicated servers because this whole hosting on the client machine thing just doesn't seem that hot.

By the way; does the gold membership get rid of the ads? I enjoy using the silver for all the demos and previews and arcade shoping but the number and prevelance of ads is almost embarrasing.

By the way; does the gold membership get rid of the ads? I enjoy using the silver for all the demos and previews and arcade shoping but the number and prevelance of ads is almost embarrasing.

The only ads I see are for marketplace stuff, trailers or games, they are fairly discrete though, so much that I almost never notice them. I think they're teh same for Silver and Gold though.

The only ads I see are for marketplace stuff, trailers or games, they are fairly discrete though, so much that I almost never notice them. I think they're teh same for Silver and Gold though.

I think you might be being spared some advertising! Because I got non-stop ENORMOUS ads for Entourage and Superman!!

Back