Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

More than four years ago, we launched PlayStation VR to offer a transformative new way to play games on PS4, providing a much stronger sense of presence and deeper immersion to players compared with traditional games. In that time, we’ve seen tremendous experiences that have propelled virtual reality gaming forward, including highly acclaimed titles like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Tetris Effect, Blood & Truth, Moss, Beat Saber, and Resident Evil 7 biohazard. We’ve also enhanced the experience for some PS VR titles when played on PS4 Pro and PlayStation 5.
Today I’m pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.
One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That’s just one of the examples of future-proof technology we’re developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

There’s still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won’t be launching in 2021. But we wanted to provide this early update to our fans, as the development community has started to work on creating new worlds for you to explore in virtual reality.

We also want to thank all of our PS VR players for your continued support — with upcoming games like After The Fall, Sniper Elite VR, and Humanity, there’s much more to come for PS VR whether you’re playing on PS4 or PS5. With both PlayStation VR and the next-generation VR system we’re building, our commitment to virtual reality as a medium for games is stronger than ever. We look forward to sharing more details in the future!

PSVR 2 is official

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/

Shame there's no details on PSVR2, but hopefully wireless and any controller will utilise haptics like the DualSense.

Best thing about Quest 2 is the lack of faffing about with cables etc.

Still wired. Guess they couldn't get the cost down on that enough. Presumably plugs into the USB C on the front of PS5. An optional wireless "puck" would be cool though. Still think that's the best form factor to remove heft from a wireless HMD.

Wider resolution and FOV weren't a given so that's good to hear. I think they'll be in the Index's ballpark.

Hopefully they bundle the new controller, as without doing so you obviously limit support. Their own variant index controller with duelsense triggers would be nice.

Any idea on what they'll do with tracking for everything? Optical inside out?

This is great. It keeps vr momentum going. Gives me hope vr for playstation isn't another eye toy/move controller. Should also be great for small developers. Bigger developers probably know a lot more as they likely get briefed by sony but are under nda. Small developers can be sure there is additional market outside oculus/steam. Every little bit of sales will help to keep developers healthy.

Shame there's no details on PSVR2, but hopefully wireless and any controller will utilise haptics like the DualSense.

In the blog they're pimping it as a "single cable experience". Likely plugs straight into the front USB C and probably uses inside out tracking. Which is better than PSVR, if not quite a Quest-like experience.

In the blog they're pimping it as a "single cable experience". Likely plugs straight into the front USB C and probably uses inside out tracking. Which is better than PSVR, if not quite a Quest-like experience.
That seems like the most plausible thing.

Interesting to see what they do. I've been itching to get a Quest 2 lately for use with my PC.. but I'm not a fan of what Facebook appears to be doing. Gonna take my time.. since I've still got my original Rift and it's working just fine for now.

Quest 2 requires a cable to use anything more than that crappy soc on board.

Wireless adapters for the vive are $300 on their own. So I don't expect to see a sony headset with it. I expect the psvr 2 to be $300-$500

Reactions: snc
That seems like the most plausible thing.

Interesting to see what they do. I've been itching to get a Quest 2 lately for use with my PC.. but I'm not a fan of what Facebook appears to be doing. Gonna take my time.. since I've still got my original Rift and it's working just fine for now.

Its why I went with valve index. I was a bit annoyed that my constellation sensors didn't carry over to the rift s and the tracking was a step back. I saw the writing on the wall that they were going all in on the quest when they announced vader for quest first.

The lighthouses work really well and I don't see valve ditching them. Right now they are the best tracking on the market. Perhaps they will add camera tracking on the head set to augment the lighthouse tracking but not to replace it. The index controllers are also the best on the market.

Since I have the controllers and light houses now I will just invest in the new headset when it becomes available. I'm betting next year

"introducing the next gen of VR"

sharing some sparse piece of info, not actually showing anything.

Son, i'm disappoint.

You expected something different after Sony's "marketing" push for the PS5? They haven't even announced the name for it yet. That's going to be something they're saving to announce in the future. Of course, likely after they make an announcement that they'll be making an announcement about something VR related (when they'll unveil the name). :p

Regards,
SB

Quest 2 requires a cable to use anything more than that crappy soc on board.

Wireless adapters for the vive are $300 on their own. So I don't expect to see a sony headset with it. I expect the psvr 2 to be $300-$500

That hasn’t stopped me from not having used anything but the ‘crappy soc’ since I got the Quest 2 and being very happy with it.

Back