Sony patent: Game controller attachment. (Any idea what this could be?)

onQ

Veteran
The patent doesn't give any information about what it's for.

screenshot-by-nimbus%2B(1).png

screenshot-by-nimbus%2B(4).png

screenshot-by-nimbus.png

ithough its chatpad but why it locks the analogue...

That's what's so strange about it. what could possible be important enough to get in the way of the left analog stick?

I'm thinking maybe it's some type of sensor. like a tactile sensor or vital sign sensor (maybe for Until Dawn heart rate monitoring).

Sidenote: Sony does have a patent for an analog stick with sensors so this could be the same thing but as an attachment because it wasn't ready when the PS4 was released.

20130100021-5+cropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the source?

Sidenote: Sony does have a patent for an analog stick with sensors so this could be the same thing but as an attachment because it wasn't ready when the PS4 was released.
Can't be the same thing because it prevents the thumbstick from moving, and does not cover the thumbstick with a sensor. The thumbstick, a pad of simple rubber, will still be present, just stopped from moving.

It is pretty weird looking... It looks like it completely restricts the movement of the stick, but maybe it doesn't and provides some sort of force feedback to the stick?

Or maybe it's for people who already have everything in life, no further needs or challenges left to conquer, except the want to stop that frigging left thumbstick from moving!! :)

No that's not it that's the patent for the thumb stick with sensors. This one is just a design patent for some type of attachment it doesn't say exactly what it's for.

Yeah my bad I just realized my error. Sorry for the confusion there!

Back