Sony E3 2006 press conference

rabidrabbit

A Reformed Member
Legend
As there doesn't yet seem to be a thread where the press conference could be discussed in general, is it ok if I make one?

I just watched most of the conference and the trailers, and while the conference obviously wasn't as exciting as last year because there really isn't that much brand new info, I was impressed by the quality of the gameplay demos.

What impressed me most was the quality of rendering and animation in almost all of them.
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Afrika demo yet, imo it was among the most impressive demos. Iknow it hardly qualifies as a game demo, but as it apparently was realtime I was amazed how lifelike it look!

Judging by these trailers, the PS3 graphics seem to have distinctive "depth" in them that seems to be unique to it.
It might be because of lighting or someting with different type of rendering, but to me it was wery distinctive, and with the animation that clearly was a huge step from current offerings.

I'm glad Sony seems to be delivering what they've promised.

My top 10 of Sony E3 2006 showings.
1. FFXIII
2. Getaway
3. Afrika
4. Naughty Dog new game
5. MGS4
6. Lair (impressive if it's realtime, though needs moer on screen to really wow)
7. Eight Days (what was actually gameplay??)
8. Monster Kingdom (looked incredible, though what was gameplay I'm not sure)
9. Warhawk (while looking good and fun, the newcomers start lo look much better)
10. Heavenly Sword (sorry guys, I just am not that big fan of this type of games)
11. F1 (I hate F1)
12. GT HD (GT4 in HD, meh.)
13. Coded Arms Assault
14. Gundam
15. The Card Eye Toy game
16. Genji 2 (I fell asleep)

I'll have to go with
MGS4
Heavenly Sword
FFXIII
Warhawk
Naughty dog game (that looked pretty cool - animation was pretty sweet)
Resistance
Genji 2 (I had fun with the first one, although it was a bit short -- yoshitsune is badass)
and then the rest

This thread is important after the original was locked, I still wanted to make some comments.

There's one reason that hasn't been mentioned so far that some people (like me) will absolutely have to get PS3, and that's in the developer reel at the end of the conference: Nippon Ichi Software.

I'd have to go with:
FF13
HeavenlySword
MGS4
The new Naughty Dog game

But by far the best trailer was FF13, and the best playable game (no contest) was Heavenly Sword.

PeterT said:
This thread is important after the original was locked, I still wanted to make some comments.

There's one reason that hasn't been mentioned so far that some people (like me) will absolutely have to get PS3, and that's in the developer reel at the end of the conference: Nippon Ichi Software.

Atlus too, iirc!

Bobbler said:
Atlus too, iirc!
Whoa, didn't see that. We may as well declare the next-gen console wars over right now! Only half-joking.

It's funny when your priorities differ so much from so-called "hardcore" gamers that they sometimes don't even know what you're talking about - happened to me today IRL. (I still believe I game more than most of them)

The actual news and screens were very good, sucks about the price, but I guess waiting a bit won´t kill me.

Anyway, I´m definitely getting one for FFXIII, MGS4, Lair and Heavenly Sword so far. I still can´t get over how fantastic FFXIII looks. PS3 is going to be awesome!! :D

Oh, and in case Lair sucks, I´d like to try the new functionality with WarHawk. I really see A LOT of possibilites with the new controller, especially for FPS. I mean, if the sensitivity is good enough, we can actually move the controller a bit to perform look functions and move with the analog stick. That can potentially be much better than the dual analog way.

Hopefully Resistence uses something like it.

Yep, after the initial letdown that it still looks like the old DS, the new controler is getting me excited with the possibilities.
It does look like it could work well in fps games. It won't have the precision of a mouse, but with the help of a little bit of auto aiming it could finally be a good control scheme for fps games in consoles.
The gyro certainly should do well as a "look" or "aim" control with it's six axis, the vertical axis could be used for "jump" and "duck"

Will it be the control scheme that really differenciates the multiplatform games instead of graphics this gen.

I would have liked to see more of the Eye Toy, the card game demo was very unimpressive as it hardly wasn't anything the PS2 EyeToy couldn't do.
I'm starting to be worried the kinds of earlier demos (from Toshiba?) where the lady was trying different hairstyles and makeups will still be out of reach for the PS3.
The duck sink demo was a bit better, but now it would be possible with just the gyro controller.
I think Sony might not be putting as much into the EyeToy as it looked before, the new gyro controller seems to be receiving much of the "augmented reality" functions that were previously thought to be for EyeToy.

I'd still love to see the EyeToy being used for more than just simple videochat.
My dream of a MMORPG where you could express yourself with body language as the EyeToy is being used as a "motion capture" device might still remain just a dream.

I also would have liked to see more of the PSP/PS3 interoperatibility, the "LocationFree" service and streaming of media from PS3 to PSP and vice versa.
We did see however that the PSP could be used as a screen for PS3 games, in the F1 rear mirror demo, which hints strongly that using PSP as a "terminal" for PS3 ganmes and media will work fine.

There was no thing of the PS3 frontend and OS, they seemed to concentrate on just the software.
Will we have to keep waiting and guessing until TGS06 before more info on the hardware and OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I though it was ok, moved way too slow with the whole GT4 deal. that was actually painful to watch.

the eye toy thing was cool and some of the upcoming game trailers looked great.

Disappointed that they didn't follow through on E305 and show some playable Motostorm or Killzone. conspicuously absent IMO.

HS was amazing and FFXIII is not my thing (at all) but looked great (typical Japanese art that I don't really appreciate though) MGS4 looked beautiful to show off the cinematics but I want to see some more game play in motion to compare to other running games (like HS). In the trailer (watching it again) I now see a few sections that appear to be gameplay (in the street).

I realize it's early so it's not like I expected all this stuff yesterday, but it would have been a better show with it IMO.

revealing the price this early was a surprise actually (as much as the actual price) and I read a quote today that Kutaguri said that they maybe they "priced it too low" :LOL:

Jury is still out for me on the controller.
I hate the DS (1995 ergonomics?) but the gyro thing sounds very cool. If they get it to really be an asset in games, that could be a selling point for me. I actually liked the banana controller better (reminded me of my Alps controller for PS1)

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Afrika demo yet, imo it was among the most impressive demos. Iknow it hardly qualifies as a game demo, but as it apparently was realtime I was amazed how lifelike it look!

agreed that looked amazing :oops:

I just assumed it was CG, I didn't know it was real time :idea:

not graphicly challenging or so but i like RIdgeRacer on PSP a lot :)
psx emu for the win i tell you :pp

Tap In said:
agreed that looked amazing :oops:

I just assumed it was CG, I didn't know it was real time :idea:
I probably havent said anything about it mainly because my stream was pretty bad quality, so I really couldnt make out any details, looked average to me. Is there a HD video I can check out?

rabidrabbit said:
Yep, after the initial letdown that it still looks like the old DS, the new controler is getting me excited with the possibilities.
It does look like it could work well in fps games. It won't have the precision of a mouse, but with the help of a little bit of auto aiming it could finally be a good control scheme for fps games in consoles.
The gyro certainly should do well as a "look" or "aim" control with it's six axis, the vertical axis could be used for "jump" and "duck"

Will it be the control scheme that really differenciates the multiplatform games instead of graphics this gen.

I would have liked to see more of the Eye Toy, the card game demo was very unimpressive as it hardly wasn't anything the PS2 EyeToy couldn't do.
I'm starting to be worried the kinds of earlier demos (from Toshiba?) where the lady was trying different hairstyles and makeups will still be out of reach for the PS3.

The duck sink demo was a bit better, but now it would be possible with just the gyro controller.
I think Sony might not be putting as much into the EyeToy as it looked before, the new gyro controller seems to be receiving much of the "augmented reality" functions that were previously thought to be for EyeToy.

I'd still love to see the EyeToy being used for more than just simple videochat.
My dream of a MMORPG where you could express yourself with body language as the EyeToy is being used as a "motion capture" device might still remain just a dream.

I am pretty excited by both controllers. The card game amazes me but they need to make it run faster, and allow the animation to be interrupted (for experienced players). Then it truly provides next-gen game play for [online] collectible card games (especually Yu-Gi-Oh which started from a series of manga with exactly the same premise).

The hairdo demo, as you said, would be good for MMORPG. So cosplay personality can now have a cheap/free form of expression online. PS3 would paint your face with the appropriate makeup, and alter your voice. RPG is really about social networking anyway.

rabidrabbit said:
I also would have liked to see more of the PSP/PS3 interoperatibility, the "LocationFree" service and streaming of media from PS3 to PSP and vice versa.
We did see however that the PSP could be used as a screen for PS3 games, in the F1 rear mirror demo, which hints strongly that using PSP as a "terminal" for PS3 ganmes and media will work fine.

There was no thing of the PS3 frontend and OS, they seemed to concentrate on just the software.
Will we have to keep waiting and guessing until TGS06 before more info on the hardware and OS.

Right I was disappointed in the non-game aspect of PS3. Only SingStar is shown but people already have iTunes screwed to their mind.

rabidrabbit said:

I noticed it but wrote it off as CG :D
I like how the Rhino twitches its left ear. It's certainly lifelike but I don't know what they want to do with the animals. I can't bear to shoot 'em.

Back