Sony Doesn't Have To Tell Me to Wait for a PS3: Microsoft's Doing Their Dirty Work!

london-boy said:
If there are 90% Premium and 10% Core, what's the point of releasing Core units at all? They could have kept the Premium unit as the only standard unit and many people would have been happy.

Yes, but then MS couldn't say they released their console at a $300 price point.

Gholbine said:
They said they would ship more premiums than cores, but quite simply, they lied. It's their way of dealing with the non-standard harddrive debacle.

Quit simply you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I called about 6 stores, including futureshop, bestbuy, walmart and superstore, they ALL had roughly 2/3 premium, 1/3 core.

Walmart - 22core, 44 premium
superstore - 12premium, 4 core
futureshop - 75premium, 25 core

Deepak said:
UK sales should not be counted in Europe sales, isn't it 51st state of US afterall? :mrgreen: j/k
Oh no you don't. The UK is the 51st state only after it's been India's 29th state or 8th territory for awhile.

Besides, everyone knows that Canada is the 51st state.
So the UK would have to take slot 52. :p

london-boy said:
If there are 90% Premium and 10% Core, what's the point of releasing Core units at all? They could have kept the Premium unit as the only standard unit and many people would have been happy.

The point of the core is so they can say they launched at $299. I'm trying to dig up the link where it said 90% premium.

you'll probably have a hard time finding that quote since it was never said ;)

Also, the point fo the core is for people who don't have broadband conncetions, and don't have HDTV's(like many of my non-computer savy freinds) they can pick up a $299 X360 w/ a memory card and start gaming, no need to pay for the HDD or Component Cables.

Platon said:
I guess that the numbers I had seen where for 2004, about PS1. I hadn't seen the new ones. But common tha margin is extremely small, compaired to the common misconception that Europe is by far the smallest market, and once again although Europe gets shafted both when it comes to prices as well as luanch dates whether it is consoles or games they still buy them, at huge numbers...

You can also add the fact that many europeans import from other regions aswell. It wasn't that long ago Sony felt compelled to threaten import firms with legal actions regarding the PSP.

they DID actually. no store is permitted to sell imported official sony entertainment material.
Nintendo is in the same boat.
many years ago they put up legal action against lots of shops. many closed in paris that I remember.

The point of the core is that in three years, 80% of units sold will be core. Even MS has stated this.

MS doesn't want to subsidize a free Hard Drive any longer, and it was one of the best decisions they made.

Even at launch, it seemed to me a goodly percentage of 360's were cores..way more than 10%.

Now, at launch is the hardcore like me. I want the live goodies and HD. So the $400 pack makes sense for that group. But not for everybody.

By the way, Major Nelson stated today that 360's will be replenished weekly, no matter what retail stores are telling people..so good news, I guess, except maybe for ebayers..

Back