Son sees the ghost of his deceased father in a videogame,

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Adolescent son sees the ghost of his deceased father in a videogame.

This heart-wrenching, tears worthy story was echoed by one of the Rallisport Challenge programmers, and now it's one of the most prized possessions and belongings of the guy.

"Well, when i was 4, my dad bought a trusty XBox. you know, the first, ruggedy, blocky one from 2001. we had tons and tons and tons of fun playing all kinds of games together - until he died, when i was just 6.

i couldnt touch that console for 10 years.

but once i did, i noticed something.

we used to play a racing game, Rally Sports Challenge. actually pretty awesome for the time it came.

and once i started meddling around... i found a GHOST.

literaly.

you know, when a time race happens, that the fastest lap so far gets recorded as a ghost driver? yep, you guessed it - his ghost still rolls around the track today.

and so i played and played, and played, untill i was almost able to beat the ghost. until one day i got ahead of it, i surpassed it, and...

i stopped right in front of the finish line, just to ensure i wouldnt delete it.

Bliss
."

Ken Lobb, one of the programmers of that game, considered one of the best games ever on the platform, shared the story.

kendios.png

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/5929075/rallisport-challenge-ghost-son-races-father-xbox

http://www.neowin.net/news/son-discovers-deceased-fathers-ghost-car-on-2002-xbox-game

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, cant imagine with DRIVATAR. even the dead's ghost can "live" in the cloud.

EDT:
a commenter on Polygon give this picture/comic heartfel-warm-fuzzy thing...
sad-Animal-Crossing-mom-MS-story.jpg
i never though animal crossing have AI that advanced. I though their AI will just like Harvest Moon that got frozen in stopped time if you did not play it and wont really remember you (wont ask if you dont play for a while, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
What facts is it you think I need to get straight? :rolleyes: If you want to correct anything in the OP, then do so without being a rude douche.

I think I've seen this story on 9gag several times and the first time was probably over a year ago.
The animal crossing one too.

That gaf thread also had a similar one I didn't know about:

Oniho1Z.jpg

What makes you think Ken Lobb was a programmer on RS?

What makes you think that's relevant to anything?

Have no opinion on this story.

All I know is that if I wanted to haunt someone in a good way it would be through Rallisport Challenge 2.

Forza and GT are both flaccid disappointments, waving themselves around like fleshy peanuts, next to the Blue Whale Cock like behemoth that is Rallisport.

Rallisport Challenge 2 4eva.

The Animal Crossing story is really touching, especially with the illustrations bringing it to life. Gaming can do so much for people.

I don't have anything similar to compare to in my own experiences, I just get incredibly nostalgic from looking at old 8/16-bit graphics from the 80s, with their limited resolution and color palettes. It brings me back to an era of my life that's long gone now.

The Animal Crossing story is really touching, especially with the illustrations bringing it to life. Gaming can do so much for people.

I don't have anything similar to compare to in my own experiences, I just get incredibly nostalgic from looking at old 8/16-bit graphics from the 80s, with their limited resolution and color palettes. It brings me back to an era of my life that's long gone now.

Youth? :D

I find both stories to be pleasant with a melancholy feeling hanging over it. And yeah, RSC2 was such a great game that it makes the story even more special.

You should always be correct, otherwise you dilute your message. And it is quite rude to the people at (then) DICE Gothenburg (and some at DICE Stockholm) that programmed the actual game to give programming credit to Ken Lobb. You could actually credit them instead, they actually deserve it.

You should always be correct, otherwise you dilute your message. And it is quite rude to the people at (then) DICE Gothenburg (and some at DICE Stockholm) that programmed the actual game to give programming credit to Ken Lobb. You could actually credit them instead, they actually deserve it.
The reference was only Ken Lobb tweeting the story, and he claims to have worked on the game (FEELS). No-one said nobody else was involved, nor that Ken Lobb was the supreme genius developer and everyone else his lacky. No-one's been rude to anyone. The credit of the story such as it is goes to the whole team and no-one's trying to claim solo credit AFAICS.

The reference was only Ken Lobb tweeting the story, and he claims to have worked on the game (FEELS). No-one said nobody else was involved, nor that Ken Lobb was the supreme genius developer and everyone else his lacky. No-one's been rude to anyone. The credit of the story such as it is goes to the whole team and no-one's trying to claim solo credit AFAICS.
In the first post Cyan wrote that Lobb was one of the programmers of the game.

Because the tweet says, "I worked on RSC 1&2". If Cyan misinterpreted, the most obvious response is not a (rhetorical) question but a simple correction. That is, post number two should read, "FYI Ken Lobb wasn't a programmer on this and the team at XYZ were responsible for the game." Then posts 3, 5, 6, 7.5, 11, 12, 13, 14 and this one needn't have happened. ;)

And it's all very besides the point anyway! It's not like lavish praise is being thrown on Mr. Lobb for this amazing achievement. It's just an aside where Cyan has made a note of creditation. The story is about a record of a person's input recreating their presence in the here-and-now. Quite who coded the game is pretty immaterial!

I am actually interested in why Cyan thought Lobb was a programmer on the game. His mind works in strange ways sometimes ;-)

What makes you think Ken Lobb was a programmer on RS?
Well, you know why. I don't actually remember who worked in Rallisport Challenge 2, but if he says he worked on it my first immediate thought he was either a programmer or a developer.

What do you think I'd believe he is, a Phacochoerus? A tuna? :mrgreen: A "professional of the amatory arts"? Any other English word to replace programmer/developer which could sound more generalist and hence more accurate.

I wouldn't define myself as very normal, indeed. I can't really tell you what or how I am, though without being mistaken --that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself. :smile2:

I think I've seen this story on 9gag several times and the first time was probably over a year ago.
The animal crossing one too.

That gaf thread also had a similar one I didn't know about:

Oniho1Z.jpg

This Rallisport Challenge story seems to be totally real... In fact, it went pretty much unnoticed until recently but this happened like 2 months ago, actually.

wow, cant imagine with DRIVATAR. even the dead's ghost can "live" in the cloud.

EDT:
a commenter on Polygon give this picture/comic heartfel-warm-fuzzy thing...
sad-Animal-Crossing-mom-MS-story.jpg
i never though animal crossing have AI that advanced. I though their AI will just like Harvest Moon that got frozen in stopped time if you did not play it and wont really remember you (wont ask if you dont play for a while, etc).
Darn, this one sent shivers down my spine and made me feel really melancholic. Thanks for sharing. I heard of it, I think, but had never seen it detailed.

I can sense what you are trying to say.

Time flies like an arrow, and it doesn't feel like it was like last Christmas, lots of water passed under the bridge ever since.

For people like you, the "With a single credit" Youtube channel would be like one of the discoveries of their life. Alas, I never found an equivalent in English. :cry:

It's not just the amazing, superb fun and special classic games he shows there, it's the person behind it who makes it so great.

He has everything, lots of charisma, niceness, people help him without him asking them to... people playing with him sometimes in some episodes.

In that sense, I have my needs of classic gaming pretty much covered while discovering new games and things so original and fun that you just don't see often at all.

Plus I use a Roland to play the music of classic games, and it sounds so amazing. Some of the greatest videogames songs ever are a pleasure to listen to.

The limitations of the time and how they tried to overcome those, makes it all the more special.

Back