Something less serious: Games you looked forward to but never made it...

Ferrari_pro

Newcomer
I'm not a big poster on here (in fact I get very little time to post on forums - too busy with work :p ) but I really enjoy reading some of the more technically orientated posts.

Anyhow, here is something a little less challenging for you lot to discuss:

What games did you most look forward to that were in production but were then canned?

For me it has to be either Starcraft Ghost or Duke Nukem Forever (although it's supposedly still in production.).

Starcraft Ghost looked quite good (considering it was to be an Xbox title), maybe the actual premise of the gameplay was lacking, but the starcraft universe created in the original game was diverse and quite in depth. It's a shame imo that nothing has been created since that has followed on from it.

Duke Nukem Forever was a game that I had been waiting to play ever since being a very young teenager. I played doom to death but I was very much more of a Duke Nukem man - Going from the side scrollers to Duke Nukem 3D was something special. The range of unique (at the time) weaponry, the comical bad guys, the jaw dropping graphics (for the time) and the wise cracks from Duke made it a very special game indeed.

I suppose the problem with these games ever happening was the sheer amount of expectation heaped on them. Other games have been released that had high profile ancestors but very few ever achieved anything close to the recognition or quality that the originals had in abundance.

So what about you guys? What games had you heard about and excited you never made it into the shops?

As much as I am indifferent to multiplayer. I was actually really looking forward to Battletech:3025 on PC.

But... console-wise, I would definitely have to say Starcraft Ghost for Xbox/PS2/GC generation. Although, I will take their word for it when they said it wasn't satisfactory for Blizzard standards.

I guess I can't think of anything else that was canned.... Could someone make a list of canned games? :p

I'm struggling to think of canned games too. I'll have to do a bit of research.

My first thought was to turn the thread on it's head - games that should've been canned. Perhaps more accurately games that sounded good in theory but the execution was a little lacking. Guess there's too much cannon fodder for that topic though!

slider said:
I'm struggling to think of canned games too. I'll have to do a bit of research.

My first thought was to turn the thread on it's head - games that should've been canned. Perhaps more accurately games that sounded good in theory but the execution was a little lacking. Guess there's too much cannon fodder for that topic though!

Games that should have been canned? Arrgggh... there are so many of them!

How about the Evil dead games (just crap and not funny unlike the films), Dino Crisis 3 (The worst camera EVER in a game), Terminator games (a disgrace to the license) etc...

Didn't mean to turn the thread around!

I'm sure a lot of GC fans were gutted when MS bought Rare. Surely the next version of Kameo (as it was) and Banjo Threeie(?) on the GC would've rocked.

I'm also slightly miffed that Elite never made it past the Amiga and Atari ST. :(

I really was looking forward to The Lost from Irrational Games. I think the game was pretty far and almost finished , but there was a lot of trouble with publishers etc.

Another game I would have liked to have tried was Speedball 3 - It was being developed on the Quake3 engine and had started to look quite promising...

This was a good couple of years back at least... Never heard of it since.

I also can't believe followups were never made to Actraiser 2... that was a classic.

The execution of D&D Heroes was quite poor. I was really hoping for a robust game, but it turned out to be buggy with a pretty inconsistent framerate. There sure are plenty of others (low low budget games), but I won't mention them. ;)

Canned games....hm... yeah, it's really tough to say since there wouldn't be too too much info on them. :LOL: I guess I was sorta looking forward to Frame City Killers (was hoping they'd fix up the graphics).

And I guess there are the ports that are canceled too, but the game exists on at least one platform (FarCry Instincts was canned for the PS2 for instance).

I wouldve loved Dungeon Keeper 3, nice blend of genres.

Though I cant remember specifics, there was a game similar to Battlezone announced by a Company called like "Jack in the Box", just vanished from earth as it seems.

slider said:
I'm also slightly miffed that Elite never made it past the Amiga and Atari ST. :(
Theres Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters, both available for PC too.
And Elite 4 is still on the road, the question is just: when ?

Team Fortress 2 is the biggest one for me. I was crazy about Team Fortress Classic. When everybody else in the dorms got into the Counterstrike craze, I was the one still playing TF:C (and I managed to convert a few Counterstrikers to the dark side, too).

This might not count because its still in production I think, but I'm still waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., the whole premise of that game was pretty interesting to me. Im afraid by the time it comes out it will get overshadowed by the other games that look much better.

Npl said:
Theres Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters, both available for PC too.
And Elite 4 is still on the road, the question is just: when ?

Yeah sorry, I was aware of them but I guess as I didn't have a PC around the mid 90's(?) I missed them. I want a next gen version of the excitement I had with my C64, Quickshot joystick and copy of Elite!

Elite 4 is "still coming" according to David Braben over at the Frontier Developments website (check out the FAQ's if you're interested - not that there's much there). The closest I can get to a date for that material is 2000-2001...

Whilst there I noticed Zarch. Played that on my Archimedes - reportedly the fastest home computer on the planet at the time - a 4Mhz RISC ARM CPU IIRC!

slider said:
Yeah sorry, I was aware of them but I guess as I didn't have a PC around the mid 90's(?) I missed them. I want a next gen version of the excitement I had with my C64, Quickshot joystick and copy of Elite!

Elite 4 is "still coming" according to David Braben over at the Frontier Developments website (check out the FAQ's if you're interested - not that there's much there). The closest I can get to a date for that material is 2000-2001...
the website is terribly out-of date. you can find some pieces in interviews like this though: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=109653

Battlezone 3. Pandemic had a killer title with Battlezone on the PC (with a nice shout out to the arcade classic). FPS-RTS with vehicles you could enter/exit, fairly large maps, and LAN/online MP. It did not sell well and the 2nd title was shipped rushed and buggy. If Pandemic had solid funding on the project I think it could have started an entire new genre. Instead it is a small footnote in gaming history :(

Bard's Tale IV (PC)

Jagged Alliance 3 / 3D: OK, I know it's still officially in development, but I have zero faith in the Russian developer. They seem to dislike the franchise and that does not bode well for the future.

Back