Some things to chew on, and get off my chest

Natoma,

All I have left to say with the "politiking" is this: this is typically how democrats (and of course some Republicans) look at EVERY situation, so it's of course natural for them to assume that's how EVERYONE does it. (This is how WE would do it...so they're doing it like that too.)

The thought that someone might actually be basing decisions based on some principle other than the principle of "how can I attract the most votes", seems to be a foreign concept.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:
Exactly. There is nothing illegal about challenging a law through the court system.

Great. So we all agree on this. Is there a point to it?

You're the one that said the plaintiffs were defying the law in bringing their case to the supreme court.

Joe DeFuria said:
The plantiffs in the case defied MA law, which is to bring the case to the Supreme court.

Thank you for closing that little bit off.

Natoma said:
You're the one that said the plaintiffs were defying the law in bringing their case to the supreme court.

Um...yes. That's exactly what they did. DEFIED THE EXISTING LAW which said they couldn't be married.

I didn't say it was ILLEGAL.

What the SF Mayor did was clearly illegal, and that was the "final straw" so to speak. The MA plantiff's also defied the law (as does every plantiff challenging the constiutionality of a law). They defied the law in a different way.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma,

All I have left to say with the "politiking" is this: this is typically how democrats (and of course some Republicans) look at EVERY situation, so it's of course natural for them to assume that's how EVERYONE does it. (This is how WE would do it...so they're doing it like that too.)

The thought that someone might actually be basing decisions based on some principle other than the principle of "how can I attract the most votes", seems to be a foreign concept.

Wow... You really don't follow the politics of your own party do you. Again, Karl Rove is documented as making this promise regarding gay marriage to conservatives in order to shore up their support for the fall election, pre-MA decision. And if you need a refresher on base politics from republicans,

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222001&highlight=#222001

and

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222031&highlight=#222031

Natoma said:
Exactly. There is nothing illegal about challenging a law through the court system.

But it's that neo-con mentality: brand them as activists and that throws them into a bad light, as if they're acting outside the bounds of their legal rights. Not much different, IMO, as Ann Coulter's Treason: Liberal Treachery or Sean Hannity's Deliver us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism. I guess liberals are now domestic terrorists, or the moral equivalent thereof.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:

Um...yes. That's exactly what they did. DEFIED THE EXISTING LAW which said they couldn't be married.

I didn't say it was ILLEGAL.

What the SF Mayor did was clearly illegal, and that was the "final straw" so to speak. The MA plantiff's also defied the law (as does every plantiff challenging the constiutionality of a law). They defied the law in a different way.

The law says they couldn't get married. The law didn't say they couldn't bring the law itself to court and challenge it. You can only defy the law by the letter of the law itself. If it said "You can't challenge this in court" then yea, they'd be "defying" the law as you say. But it just said "Marriage is only for men and women." Nothing in that law that says it couldn't be challenged in a court. That aint defying Joe. ;)

John Reynolds said:
Natoma said:

But it's that neo-con mentality: brand them as activists and that throws them into a bad light, as if they're acting outside the bounds of their legal rights. Not much different, IMO, as Ann Coulter's Treason: Liberal Treachery or Sean Hannity's Deliver us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism. I guess liberals are now domestic terrorists, or the moral equivalent thereof.

Actually that reminds me. Last night I was watching NOW with Bill Moyers, and it turns out that the FBI and Local Police, with the full blessing of John Ashcroft via the patriot act, have infiltrated anti-war protests pre-Iraq war, posing as civilians. In one case, a protest run by Buddhists, the police member tried to incite them to charge the police, which would of course have given the police cause to use force, possibly deadly in nature. This kind of inside baiting was documented in a few other cases.

Drake University for instance, was ordered to hand over all files and information on students and teachers who got together for an anti-war protest. They filed their brief with the local police and it was a completely peaceful event. But the government's powers now allow them surveillance powers apparently, even if there is no cause for charges. Basically what the FBI was like under J. Edgar Hoover.

If one can show this V3, then abortion rights need to be tossed out the window. The moment someone can show that an unborn is in fact "human" is the moment where the rights of that being supercede the right of choice. Pretty much a summation of what i've been saying the past few pages. hehe.

Well, this was in reply to Tagrineth, which I assumed she already accepted that its human. But Vince adress this response already so I'll adressed your reply to that instead.

If that isn't circular reasoning.

Seriously though V3, tumors are known to release chemicals and hormones that promote blood vessel growth. Is it therefore self-aware?

No is not circular reasoning.

Tumors don't have a biological make up of unique human being. So tumors can grow and become self aware, but since its not human, you can kill them. A child in the womb is human however, its murder to kill the child with intent.

The problem Vince is that you get people who say we aren't just the sum of our genes and hormones. What do many anti-abortionists say? The fertilized egg has the potential to become a human life.

They're not pontetial, sperms and eggs are potential human life. Once the woman becomes pregnant there is another human being, different from the woman, living inside of her.

In your earlier post you've bring up the point about legislation about obtaining sperms, etc, because they maybe potential human being and we're killing them if not.

This is not right, sperms and eggs have limited life span. So when women discharge, the egg already had its life span. You're not killing a potential human being. The potential dies naturally.

The same with miscarriage. Woman who suffer miscarriage is not the same as abortion. Abortion has clear intent to end pregnancy, miscarriage is an unfortunate accidents. Woman who suffered miscarriage normally goes through grieving period. I am not sure about women who have abortion, if they go through the same period of the loss one.

Sarcasm aside, I've said and will continue to say that I don't like the idea of terminating a pregnancy unless it's in the case of forced sex or the mother's life is in danger.

In the case of rape, its still murder to kill the child.

In the case of the mother's life in danger, you're saving the mother's life, the death of the child is an accident that can't be avoided. Its an unfortunate circumstances that happend. Different from abortion, where the intent is to end the life of the child.

But until we have a rock solid definition of what a human being is, I can't personally see legislating against the right of a woman to choose whether to bring a pregnancy to term. Frankly it's going to take technology to answer that question imo, and at that point, I believe the right to an abortion will fall away. We just aren't there yet.

Science is useless isn't ? Several hundred years until now, we're still asking what's a human being ? We know more about Mars, than we know about ourself, and this lack of knowledge isn't helping when innocent humans are being killed daily.

Beside with this lack of knowledge, wouldn't it better to legislate against abortion, woman has 9 months of discomfort and lack of freedom Vs a whole life time of an innocent child ?

Natoma said:
The law says they couldn't get married. The law didn't say they couldn't bring the law itself to court and challenge it.

Ummm...right.

You can only defy the law by the letter of the law itself.

Oh come on...here we go with the self-imposed semantic definitions.... :rolleyes:

Facts:

1) A law existed banning sam sex marriage
2) The plaintiff's didn't agree with the law.
3) They could have either accepted it, or not.

You're now imposing some magical "only by doing some illegal means" is an act of defiance? Whatever. I'm so sick of playing these semantic games with you, Natoma.

They did NOT accept the law. Their taking it to court is an act of defiance of the law. This is how the sysytem works, and is not something I ever claimed was "illegal" or "wrong" for the plaintiffs to do. For some reason, "defy" in your world equates to illegal. Uh, OK.

Every point that you brought up V3 is very legitimate and part of the debate that I said "the other side" was having even amongst itself. Many anti-abortionists would disagree with you that abortion in the case of rape is necessarily murder, as they would disagree that sperm couldn't be treated as potential murder. I grew up in a very anti abortionist environment, which also decried masturbation as murder. Crazy, I know, but just pointing out the differences of opinion in the anti-abortion camp.

Natoma said:
...just pointing out the differences of opinion in the anti-abortion camp.

Which is exactly why there should be legislative debate and concensus on abortion limits. Because EVERYONE (anti-abortionists and abortionsists) has differing opinions.

Joe I haven't played any semantical games at all. I just used what you gave me. You said that the only reason Bush brought this forward is because the plaintiffs in the MA court case "defied" the law, as if Bush bringing a constitutional amendment proposal up is somehow their fault. Right.

This is the same thing that republican pollsters and pundits have said is Bush's key to this so that he can keep his "compassionate conservative" moniker. Make it seem as if his decision is all the fault of those who would challenge the laws they live under. That he didn't want to do this, but since they wouldn't live under the law like good little citizens, he's got to do it. Please. :LOL:

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:
...just pointing out the differences of opinion in the anti-abortion camp.

Which is exactly why there should be legislative debate and concensus on abortion limits. Because EVERYONE (anti-abortionists and abortionsists) has differing opinions.

There was a debate, and it was given a marking point by the supreme court. I've long said that this will change in the future as our technology progresses in order to make the case for anti-abortionists stronger. But until that point, there isn't enough conclusive evidence to do so. If there were, roe v wade would have been overturned don't you think? And if there is a court case winding its way through the system, and they have the evidence to do so, it certainly will be overturned. Nothing different than what I said when this whole thing came up in the first place.

Natoma said:
Joe I haven't played any semantical games at all. I just used what you gave me. You said that the only reason Bush brought this forward is because the plaintiffs in the MA court case "defied" the law, as if Bush bringing a constitutional amendment proposal up is somehow their fault. Right.

Get my claims straight.

I said Bush brought this forward because of MA and SF...(and particularly that SF was the 'final straw.')

The MA court case, and the SF debacle are both illustrations of the law being defied. That's all.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:

Get my claims straight.

I said Bush brought this forward because of MA and SF...(and particularly that SF was the 'final straw.')

The MA court case, and the SF debacle are both illustrations of the law being defied. That's all.

Get your history straight. Bush brought this forward on January 28th, roughly two weeks before SF went into action. This was all about MA. So sorry, I automatically adjusted your claim to what was actually relevant at the time Bush spoke publically about a constitutional amendment to "protect" marriage. I guess I should have left your statement as incorrect since SF had nothing to do with Bush's State of the Union speech.

Joe DeFuria said:
Get my claims straight.

Bush didn't not incorporate this into his State of the Union address because the law had been broken, but because he didn't like that the MA court had revised their state law to something he doesn't approve of because of his personal, religious beliefs. Separation. . .church. . .state.

Egad. Lets step through a few primers, shall we?

Illegal means against the law. Nothing more and nothing less. It does not, necessarily, mean right or wrong.

You cannot challenge a law in appeals court unless you are affected by it. Hence, in order to be affected by a criminal and/or civil law, you must do something "illegal". But that doesn't reflect on the morality of the action. Morality and Law seldom intersect.

Other than that, I have to agree with Joe. Newsom didn't start his little stunt to help Bush out. You've got to have a tin foil hat to believe that he did.

John Reynolds said:
Bush didn't not incorporate this into his State of the Union address because the law had been broken, but because he didn't like that the MA court had revised their state law to something he doesn't approve of because of his personal, religious beliefs. Separation. . .church. . .state.
No, he said he had a problem with the process of activist judges redefining what the majority of the populace codified into law.

Back