some new AMD m2 info

I do like one of the comments!
Launched on the sixth day of the sixth month in the year ought six.

The end days are upon us. AMD bears the dark child!

The bit about DDR2 latencies being higher is a little misleading, take into account the higher clockfrequencies and the latencies become similar with current high performance DDR1. I hope DDR2 memory will overclock as good as DDR1 does on the current Athlon 64 processors. The performance will probably take a nice leap with the doubled bandwidth, perhaps even enough to fend off Conroe.

I wouldn't expect doubled bandwidth to help the AMD processors THAT much in the short term; the last time they doubled the bandwidth (the socket 754->939 transition) the speed increase corresponded to only about ~1 speed grade. The extra bandwidth becomes much more important when they start going quad core next year or so.

One speedgrade should be all they'll need until 2007. Take a peek at the SPEC scores for Intels Core duos and project that score lineary to 2.67GHz and then compare that to the rumoured 3GHz Opteron in the works + one speed grade. ;)

And don't forget that there might be L3 cache for the FX line.

arjan de lumens said:
I wouldn't expect doubled bandwidth to help the AMD processors THAT much in the short term; the last time they doubled the bandwidth (the socket 754->939 transition) the speed increase corresponded to only about ~1 speed grade. The extra bandwidth becomes much more important when they start going quad core next year or so.
Well in live for speed S2, going from 1 512 stick to two I went from 117FPs to 138 fps.
And LFS doesn't use much ram either...

DDR2 bandwidth increases will really only help dual core processors. The current single core processors from AMD already have more than enough bandwidth from DDR.

Back