Quantum computer to be presented the next week

It could be measured in minutes per cycle & still come out ahead.
16 bit quantum proccessor running at 1 cycle per minute is rouhly as fast as 16bit non quantum processor running at 1092 Hz. Seeing as a modern process is running at 100s Mhz I think your thinking is flawed. As I mentioned above things might be different when we move onto ~32 qbit processors

Most classical problems can if they can be done in parrallel you'd prolly be better going out and just buying a bunch of FPGAs. Obliviously if they can double the qbits it things are getting a lot more interesting.
It's a technology demonstration. I don't see why we should expect the darned thing to beat current top of the line supercomputers from the get-go. ;)

Peace.

It's a technology demonstration. I don't see why we should expect the darned thing to beat current top of the line supercomputers from the get-go. ;)

Peace.
I wasn't comparing it to a super computer was I? no I was saying it ain't commerically fesible.
Well if they aren't actually planning then its really not a commerical application is it?

16 bit quantum proccessor running at 1 cycle per minute is rouhly as fast as 16bit non quantum processor running at 1092 Hz. Seeing as a modern process is running at 100s Mhz I think your thinking is flawed. As I mentioned above things might be different when we move onto ~32 qbit processors

You're saying it would have the same throughput, not that it's as fast.

A 128 qubit processor might be able to raytrace a scene with many billions or trillions of polygons, something that might take a standard system days or years, but it will never make a real-time renderer if it takes ten minutes to set up that one scene.

It also doesn't help if the system goes through the equivalent of a complete context switch every time the quantum state collapses.
That's the danger of having so much state in-flight, loading the data back in is a function of state size, and it is very serial.

I don't know if this is what happens for this system, but it's a problem for reliable use. If they've solved that problem, I'd be very interested even as I call super-shenanigans.

No it is equivalent to a 16bit float.

The real question is what is the speed like because I recon this has a lot slower clock and IPC then most processors. Really 16 qubits is fairly limited that should allow them a substance with 16 electrons really well but that isn't many electons. Most classical problems can if they can be done in parrallel you'd prolly be better going out and just buying a bunch of FPGAs. Obliviously if they can double the qbits it things are getting a lot more interesting.

not convinced,,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computation

but i'm non the wiser after reading this :D

but if crypto-analysis is a big thing for quantum computers, does this mean that either spooks or DVD haxxors will be the only users ? ?
[edit]
will add,, this really does look like a proper sci-fi computer :D ..

Last edited by a moderator:
While it looks impressive, the main problem (and it's a big one) isn't to feed the qu-bits or perform the actual calculations (that has been done more than 10 years ago in a test tube, at room temperature), but to extract all the states, or at least the one you want. Because as soon as you read it, you get one state, and all the others are gone. Which defeats the purpose of it.

I want to know how they have solved that.

While it looks impressive, the main problem (and it's a big one) isn't to feed the qu-bits or perform the actual calculations (that has been done more than 10 years ago in a test tube, at room temperature), but to extract all the states, or at least the one you want. Because as soon as you read it, you get one state, and all the others are gone. Which defeats the purpose of it.

I want to know how they have solved that.

Well, from the previously linked quantum computer wikipedia article:

"This random string can be used in computing the value of a function because (by design) the probability distribution of the measured output bitstring is skewed in favor of the correct value of the function. By repeated runs of the quantum computer and measurement of the output, the correct value can be determined, to a high probability, by majority polling of the outputs. In brief, quantum computations are probabilistic"

There's an interesting mathematical discussion in the quantum circuit link as well.

20070110_d-wave_orion_processor.JPG

what are those letters in the middle?

I believe that says "Europa". I think it's written in Cyrillic (sp) characters.

It`s not Cyrillic, the fourth, fifth and sixth letters(at least) are from the greek alphabet:eek:mega, pi and one which I`ve forgotten because I`m a moron and didn`t pay attention in physics class and simply got accustomed to use it for efficiency notations as in efficiency(the sixth letter)=effect/effort:)

Slaps forehead... that's where I remember those from. Didn't even think about that...

Edit 1. BUT, some of them are neither Russian Cyrillic (which I'm sorta used to), or Greek, AFIACT.

Edit 2. NOPE, never mind, they're all Greek, needed my glasses... Says "E-u-rho-Pi-e" and the last thing I do not recognize, but whatever it is, it is NOT a letter I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slaps forehead... that's where I remember those from. Didn't even think about that...

Edit 1. BUT, some of them are neither Russian Cyrillic (which I'm sorta used to), or Greek, AFIACT.

Edit 2. NOPE, never mind, they're all Greek, needed my glasses... Says "E-u-rho-Pi-e" and the last thing I do not recognize, but whatever it is, it is NOT a letter I know.
Your greek are great :)
The last one isnt a letter indeed.Maybe two(strange)exclamation marks?No idea..
My question is why on earth it has"Europe"in greek written on it?

Yeah, but it's a 2003 post.... T_T

So, really, i know that a 16qubit computer isn't gonna revolutionize the way we live (no quantum comp in our house to play UT) but, i find it very appealing, and what's strange, there were a lot of nay sayers, than some believers, then the "i will believe it when i see it" people" but the demo was shown and no one is saying anything, nor the nay-sayers to point "see i told you it was a fake" nor the believers...

So what happened?

Maybe it's not a big deal but i REALLY want to know

Back