solar power for pc???

what would a solar generator that could output enough juice to power a gaming pc cost? how big would it be? anyone have any idea?

what about a pedal power generator (similar to handcrank radio)?

i wanna keep gaming during the apocalypse. just ignore it.

From what I've seen 'home' solar power systems can yield up to 150W/m^2 at a cost of around >$600 for the panel. Then you need batteries, inverter, regulator... $3-4K maybe (edit: that estimate is probably too low) for something that can comfortably drive a high end PC 24/7.

Last edited by a moderator:
The batteries need replacing every few years, but I think everything else is pretty long-lived.

Cartoon Corpse said:
what would a solar generator that could output enough juice to power a gaming pc cost? how big would it be? anyone have any idea?

what about a pedal power generator (similar to handcrank radio)?

i wanna keep gaming during the apocalypse. just ignore it.

http://www.affordable-solar.com/386.html

This would run a low power pc quite nicely I think, it has everything included except the batteries. About another $900 for the ones they suggest.

Actually, it probably would power a high-end rig, but the cost is as you say, astronomical in comparison to the power output.

just think what a nice diversion it would be to play gta while the world was crashing down all around you. fiddling while rome burns.

yeah im talking about a solid amount of power for a high end desktop rig at my home, not a wristwatch im using in a tunnel i dug to hide in.

Well... If the world can hold off the apocalypse for a few years researchers have promised solar cells that can be up to three times as effective as those on sale today. They're also actively researching viable replacements for the silicon core to cut cost and increase availability.

CC, you're just joking about the tunnel, right? RIGHT?

:LOL:

Btw, I think you can forget about pedal powering a PC by the way. Even assuming you could build the rig, you'd get tired very quickly providing 250+ W power output. There'd be no way you could game effectively whilst exerting yourself to such an extent. Maybe do some one-handed surfing at most, but I doubt even that would be very effective. ;)

Guden Oden said:
CC, you're just joking about the tunnel, right? RIGHT?

:LOL:

Btw, I think you can forget about pedal powering a PC by the way. Even assuming you could build the rig, you'd get tired very quickly providing 250+ W power output. There'd be no way you could game effectively whilst exerting yourself to such an extent. Maybe do some one-handed surfing at most, but I doubt even that would be very effective. ;)

i wouldn't build a tunnel to hide in. i would just sit and play gta (or some game) till they broke down my door and shot me for not giving a crap about 'their' 'values' and had the audacity to not suffer miserably, but was playing computer games while they were cleansing and purifying and such.

250-500W....so that's difficult to generate i guess. i realize the handcrank radios and flashlights don't use much power. i was wondering how much human exertion would be required to generate an 8 hour batteries worth of it to run a gaming pc.

3 times more powerful/efficient in a few years? excellent. can i afford to wait, now that's the issue.

Take a look hear for new type of solar cells.
http://www.spheralsolar.com/
Its own by ATS in Canada. Its a spheral type that is light weight, flexable, and much stronger (wont brake if somthing is dropped on it). This was started by TI in the ealy 90s called the solar cell project that my father was a part of it. TI later sold the project to ATS and finished the reserch and now are selling prodcts. If you need more info I can try to get it for you. I have a TI prototype for the eary 90s here and can take a pic of it for you if you want it.

Solar power is useless during Apocalypse: If the complete annihilation of civilization is happening during our life time, it is with almost absolute certainty a nuclear world war. So good luck with your solar cells in the nuclear winter :LOL: Better invest in a good hand crank and a trustworthy slave or a well trained monkey. :p But make sure the monkey isn't too intelligent or those hairy mofos will one day start to take over the world. :LOL:

nah my vision of the apocalypse is more along the lines of economic collapse. fueling social collapse. with roaming bands of retards murdering those whom they do not approve of in the name of god.

nuclear exchange? not enough life left in us to get there (the time when all the NME's we're creating have enough to spark that sort of exchange.)

Back