Software Firewall

Scott_Arm

Legend
Any recommendations on a good software firewall? I have one of those nifty Nforce3 motherboards with the firewall built in, but the damned thing does not seem to work very well.

I have tried Zonealarm in the past, but it has always ended up screwing my internet connection after a couple months. Usually it's awesome for the first little while, and my connection starts to behave as if the ports are all blocked, even when I shut the firewall down. It also wrecks havoc on my pings, and it sucks to play online games with a ping of 250+

So really, I'm looking for a good software firewall that won't totally destroy my pings, and won't mess up my internet connection ... sounds easy

Cool

Free is always a really big selling point. Tried Kerio. Seems pretty nice. Not sure if it's the best thing around, but it's better than nothing, and FREE. Doesn't seem to make a big impact on my gaming pings either, which is pretty cool. Zonealarm killed my pings, big time.

The Nforce firewall works fine for me. Pings didn't change in games too. What didn't work for you?

Firewall

Vadi said:
The Nforce firewall works fine for me. Pings didn't change in games too. What didn't work for you?

Well, I installed the firewall and I was having some problems with my messengers. MSN, ICQ etc would constantly disconnect every minute or so. I was using the medium profile. I made sure all the necessary ports were open in the rules list. Also, I could not get Bittorrent to work without being firewalled. I looked at the FAQ and found all of the TCP and UDP ports that had to be open, but it still wouldn't work. I just had problems like that. I'm not really a networking expert, so I imagine they are problems that could be fixed by a more knowledgeable user.

I don't use that software but Emule works (if that helps).

edit: I use a custom profile which is the medium profile with all TCP/UDP ports denied (no rules) except the ports the wizard opens for you (for Emule I had to open ports of course).

Ok

I'll try it again tonight when I get home ...

Right now I'm at school, tryin' to implement a batch scheduler into the linux 2.4 kernel, which is not going super well.

Cool

Well, I reinstalled the Nvidia firewall stuff. I switched to a custom profile, purged the TCP/UDP rules, and used the wizard to add only the stuff I needed. Then I added a few custom rules on top of that. I have done this before, to no avail. This time, things seemed to be on the same track. I added my custom rules, clicked on apply and things didn't look too bright. Lots of random disconnects from ICQ, MSN and AIM (I use Trillian becuase I have friends on all 3 ... PAIN IN THE ARSE!). But anyway, I rebooted and voila, it's all good now. So I guess the moral of the story is, even though there is an 'Apply' button in the Nvidia network access manager, it doesn't really work until you reboot your system.

Damn

Spoke too soon. After a good 40 minutes of use after reboot, all of my messengers(ICQ, MSN, AIM) disconnected at once, and are now disconnecting and reconnecting once every few minutes .... I also noticed that Soulseek will disconnect from the server as well.

Perhaps it's blocking some kind of ICMP data that's needed to keep the connection alive?

AIM - *** Fatal error (couldn't receive flap): Error Code 10054
ICQ *** Fatal error (couldn't receive flap): Error Code 10054
MSN *** Lost connection to server. Err 10054:-1

I believe error code 10054 in Trillian is 'Connection reset by peer'

Soulseek works for me. After I opened the port it stopped disconnecting. Also I found out that the internet becomes very sluggish when you set local acces to "deny" (I thought that's necessary in order to prevent non-administartors accessing the firewall config, which isn't true). Probably it was just coincidence but maybe setting it to "allow" helps. Sorry, I'm a network newbie.

edit: I read some articles about software firewalls. They said that in Windows it's very easy to circumvent those.

edit: Ok, Igave up now. It doesn't work. :(

edit2: Now I know it ain't no hardware firewall. The Nforce4 has a hardware firewall.

Back