Free windows NAT software?

does that exist. I'm on dial-up so a hardware router is out of the question. the PC with modem is connected to a PC with ethernet and another one (mine) with adhoc wifi (slow but more than enough).

this makes windows Internet Connection Sharing unable to share the connnection for all PCs as this damn thing only work with a 192.168.0.1 lan address, so it does sharing for the wired PC, not for the wireless one. (wifi is 10.0.0.1)

windows's network bridge function is broken. no way to get it to work with a wired and wireless networks, after lots of fiddling the windows installation even ended with broken networking so there was a formatting.

so, you see how that sucks :p .
I used till now a proxy server (Free Proxy) to access the web, IM, ftp on my wireless PC. but it seems some people on the web are using my proxy as well :D (so, the proxy is open, and I can't seem to find a way to close it). I tried other proxy software before : analogX (sucks and can't even run as a service), and Jana (bad web interface only, and no matter how I configure it I can get it to do anything). and some others certainly, which I probably don't remember for good reasons.

suggestions? what NAT or proxy software to use. (I tried winroute lite, fucks up the wireless networking - no ping, seems to suck anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
no, that would seem quite complex and resource hungry :)
I'm trying a thing called Proxy+ now, looks good but Socks doesn't seem to work for now, I might stick with it for some time.

Blazkowicz_ said:
no, that would seem quite complex and resource hungry
Depends. Compared to a native solotion, yes; but in absolute terms? The smallest distros fit on a 1.44MB floppy and doesn't need more processing power than a 16MB 386 to run, and virtualization software isn't terribly resource hungry by today's standards.

thanks. I didn't answer till now as I had given up for a while, had other things to do etc. but I've successfully set up a network bridge with Routix. Net access wasn't working on my wireless PC, thus I tried to set up a NAT with Routix but failed, then got back to using the bridge and realized DNS wasn't working for it but I managed it eventually.

so the final, working configuration is :

wired PC :
192.168.0.99 (that one never had a problem)

central PC :
56K modem, dynamic IP
192.168.0.1 for lan
windows Internet Connection Sharing (tied to 192.168.0.1)
192.168.1.1 for wlan
Bridge rule set up in Routix NetCom according to the instructions in help

my PC :
192.168.1.100 (wlan)
can ping and access 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.99
gateway : 192.168.1.1 (dumb windows, if set to 192.168.0.1 network doesn't work anymore)
DNS : 192.168.0.1

Back