Sockets (Intel P3)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Roger Kohli, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Roger Kohli

Newcomer

Is it right that
    FCPGA = Coppermine
    FCPGA2 = Tualatin?

I want to buy a P3 1.26GHz, but my motherboard only supports Coppermine processors. There seem to be two versions of the 1.26 but my vendor only specifies them as FCPGA and FCPGA2.

I was under the impression that Coppermine at 1.13 never worked.

(yeah, I know I should get an Athlon or a P4 but I don't want to change my motherboard at the moment).

2. pascal

Veteran

Yes it is, but all 1.26GHz are Tualatin/FCPGA2.

I have a P3-S (server tualatin with 512kb cache) and it is cool, quiet and fast :grin:

Unfortunatelly you will need a new mobo with i815 B-step.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pascal on 2002-02-19 23:08 ]</font>

3. Roger Kohli

Newcomer

My vendor definately has an FCPGA 1.26 listed and at a slightly lower price than the FCPGA2 version. Maybe I should phone and ask, but I'm doubtfull of the salesman knowing the difference!

4. Rob M

Newcomer

A 1.26 must be FCPGA2, perhaps one is an OEM and the other retail and the descriptions were typed differently?

5. mat

mat
    Regular

6. pascal

Veteran

Ok, using the link provided by Mat:
    All tA1 stepping are Tualatin/FCPGA2.

There is no FCPGA 1.26GHz.

7. Dmitry

Newcomer

a very nice fcpga2 board is an abit st2. Also, you might want to reconsider buying a true pentium 3 tualatin. Thing is, Celeron 1.2ghz and up is exact the same CPU as tualatin, it has SSE, and 256kb L2 cache. Only difference being that celeron works @ 100mhz fsb and tualatin @ 133. However, if you have a nice hsf, you should be able to up you celerons fsb to 133 without a problem. This way your 1.2 celeron will turn into 1.6 tualatin. I have retail hsf (tiny fan) and I was able to overclock it to 1.5 (125mhz fsb). Celeron 1.2 costs about 80 bucks now.