So how come oriental food makes you hungry again in short amount of time?

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
I know it's just saying, but like I had rice king 3 hours ago and my stomach is beginning to growl, despite still feeling kinda full.
Is it because they have or lack certain nutrients?
I know a nice 6 dollar burger keeps my hungry for hours:D

I might be wrong, but..

Just as rice expands in water.. it expands in your stomach creating the illusion that you're full even though you've only eaten about half of what your body wanted.

Can anybody confirm/deny this? I always thought it was about expansion.

It takes longer to break down fat, that's why eating a burger keeps you feeling full longer than a dish of rice. It also takes longer to digest meat. Try eating something with lots of fat, you'll get full quicker.

radeonic2 said:
I know it's just saying, but like I had rice king 3 hours ago and my stomach is beginning to growl, despite still feeling kinda full.

By getting hungry again quickly you're forced to go buy food again. It's all part of a grand conspiracy. Evil capitalism and all that ...

I get it.. complex carbs take longer to breakdown...
I read that when I was reading about weight lifting;)
I like regular white rise when it's a bit sweet with nothing on it, otherwise (what I had)I go for chicken fried rice, orange chicken and teriyaki chicken :drool:
I actually didn't eat dinner, I still felt full, just had from seasoned fries around 7 and just now I had one of those greasy beef and cheese sticks:D
with a gatorade:D

I believe I read once that fatty foods gives longer feeling of "fullness", so that might explain why that burger works so well as a stomach-filler... :)

it's probably due to the fact that chinese food has rice or noodles as part of the component.

carbs and starch are easily digested...

radeonic2 said:
I get it.. complex carbs take longer to breakdown...

That's not quite true. Starch for example is almost the same thing as eating pure glucose(Check the glycemic index of white bread).

The reason pasta is so different from rice, potatoes or white bread is that the starch in pasta is embedded in a "matrix" of protein and mechanically unaccessible. Interestingly the time it takes to convert fructose into glucose is very long, which makes the GI of sucrose about half that of glucose.

The reason "sugar"(sucrose) gets blamed for taking your blood sugar level on a roller coaster(your body cannot handle very high blood sugar levels and uses insulin to get it out of the blood stream which means you now have a low blood sugar level and feel hungry/tired) is that it is very concentrated in sweets. If you eat a tonne of low GI foods you will still jack up your blood sugar levels very high.

Fruits contain quite a bit of sucrose(or free glucose and fructose from broken down sucrose) but fruits aren't very soluable so much of it is released slowly from the food.

soylent said:
That's not quite true. Starch for example is almost the same thing as eating pure glucose(Check the glycemic index of white bread).

The reason pasta is so different from rice, potatoes or white bread is that the starch in pasta is embedded in a "matrix" of protein and mechanically unaccessible. Interestingly the time it takes to convert fructose into glucose is very long, which makes the GI of sucrose about half that of glucose.

The reason "sugar"(sucrose) gets blamed for taking your blood sugar level on a roller coaster(your body cannot handle very high blood sugar levels and uses insulin to get it out of the blood stream which means you now have a low blood sugar level and feel hungry/tired) is that it is very concentrated in sweets. If you eat a tonne of low GI foods you will still jack up your blood sugar levels very high.

Fruits contain quite a bit of sucrose(or free glucose and fructose from broken down sucrose) but fruits aren't very soluable so much of it is released slowly from the food.
It would seem you're well read on the subject:oops:

LunchBox said:
it's probably due to the fact that chinese food has rice or noodles as part of the component.

carbs and starch are easily digested...
Apart from what has been said on the subject, at least Thai food has a LOT of vegetable ingredients that act filling (fiber n stuff). On the other hand, there's also chili in thai food (and typically quite a bit of it too, heh!), which I believe I read stimulates the appetite. :p So in the end, who the hell knows how it really works? ;)

Guden Oden said:
Apart from what has been said on the subject, at least Thai food has a LOT of vegetable ingredients that act filling (fiber n stuff). On the other hand, there's also chili in thai food (and typically quite a bit of it too, heh!), which I believe I read stimulates the appetite. :p So in the end, who the hell knows how it really works? ;)

All I know is that you're all making me very hungry.

"Oriental food" means everything and nothing (like saying "Western food": from spaghetti to MacDonalds...not quite accurate, is it?). In China for instance, traditionally, there are 4 different types of "cuisine", and some are pretty "porky" (pork meat, and not only meat, is THE food in various parts of China: there are places where you'd eat pork, in several styles, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every single day of the week).

Crisidelm said:
"Oriental food" means everything and nothing (like saying "Western food": from spaghetti to MacDonalds...not quite accurate, is it?). In China for instance, traditionally, there are 4 different types of "cuisine", and some are pretty "porky" (pork meat, and not only meat, is THE food in various parts of China: there are places where you'd eat pork, in several styles, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every single day of the week).
I did say rice king:p

Back