Sleeping Dogs

How is it not? It's claiming the entire gaming culture is enamored with one and one type of game only.

It's just as bad when I hear non-US people talk about how American games are all military FPS games or when they say that they're all grimdark muscle bound space marines games.

It's implying the entire gaming culture of that nation is a bunch of fucking morons.

How is it not? It's claiming the entire gaming culture is enamored with one and one type of game only.

It's just as bad when I hear non-US people talk about how American games are all military FPS games or when they say that they're all grimdark muscle bound space marines games.

It's implying the entire gaming culture of that nation is a bunch of fucking morons.

This is massively off topic and I fully expect Shifty to move us along any minute, but I think you need to reevaluate was is meant by the term "racism", including what does or doesn't constitute "race".

Saying all Americans like military shooters isn't racist either. It's a generalisation and probably a rather inaccurate one but racist it is not.

I mean... Look, I'll put it this way people.

Look at what your words imply. This is how it was phrased:
I'm not sure I want more games with half naked big eyed school girls and spikey haired full length coat wearing guys wielding way oversized wide blade swords in every game in existence.

It's implying every japanese game is like that. He didn't say jRPG(And for that matter, not a lot of half naked school girls in those. :p), he used the words "every game in existence." How is that not implying every japanese game is like that?

And I fully admitted earlier the genre's currently in the pits for the most part. This isn't coming from a super fangirl.

I'm not saying the guy is racist, just that what he said was. If it's a case of poor wording, then I apologize to everyone involved.

I suppose it's just my experiences, but I've seen a lot of people actually meaning that. I.E. they really do believe all japanese games are like that.

So, when I see someone saying that, guess what my first instinct is?

I'm not a racist, never considered myself one. I'm Australian and grew up in the midst of many cultures and now live in the US where I do actually find a lot more racism around me and have become quite uncomfortable with it. What I said was a gross generalization, stereotyping a culture and shouldn't have done so.

Can we move on and get rid of this noise?

To get back on topic, everyone I know who has touched this game absolutely loves it. I plan to pick up a copy on Winter sales.

Glad it didn't fall through the cracks of Activision's initial re-tooling of the game and then canceling it.

Also, sorry for the comments Malo. I was wrong.

I've just tried the demo, on my new PC. Does indeed look great, though I still seem to have to run it on Medium (to get a smooth enough framerate, which makes the fighting - which is very cool - easier), if I want to stay at native res at least (I'm on 3rd gen i& with 550Ti) .. will look into custom config later, first going to try it again downstairs on the 3D tv. ;)

I've just tried the demo, on my new PC. Does indeed look great, though I still seem to have to run it on Medium (to get a smooth enough framerate, which makes the fighting - which is very cool - easier), if I want to stay at native res at least (I'm on 3rd gen i& with 550Ti) .. will look into custom config later, first going to try it again downstairs on the 3D tv. ;)

Your 550ti is a severe weak link, it's like driving a Ferrari on spare tires. It's not a good card even at it's price point, it was very slow even when it was released, if not the slowest card available. Get one of the upcoming 660ti's they are very good bang for the buck.

I may get a 560Ti first, better value for now I think. The 660Ti doesn't seem significantly faster for the money (only about 1/6th?)

Will have to drop to closer to 100 though (it's something like 220 euro now). So somewhere in six months perhaps.

It's nice to see another DX10+ only game, especially considering it's cross platform. Didn't realize there's a demo, downloading now!

would be good to see sgssaa rather than brute force ogssaa which dev's been using.. still fun though, im currently using normal aa(=fxaa) and all other settings maxed w frame rate to 45FPS@1080p with a oc'd 460..

I may get a 560Ti first, better value for now I think. The 660Ti doesn't seem significantly faster for the money (only about 1/6th?)

It's a fair bit quicker, for example at 1920x1080 the 660 gets 79fps on Batman whereas the 560 gets 51fps, 47fps vs 33fps on Metro 2033, and 53fps vs 37fps on BF3. Up to you, but I think you'd get more value long term with a 660, the 560 is pretty old now.

Played the demo, looks like a great game. I wouldn't play it without a controller though, felt very strange on mouse/keyboard. Runs and looks great on my 7870.

Considering actually buying it for full price.

I've finished it last night. While maybe not as detailed or visually impressive as GTA4 (outside of when its raining at night), I found it to be a superior to GTA4 in alot of ways.

I found that the undercover cop dynamic adds alot to the game. It provides the foundation of having the plot revolving around 2 main storylines that are interwined but allows for more varied missions. Its has less point A to point B then gundown person C style missions than most sandbox games.

I played like 6 or 7 hours before I picked up a weapon. Not that I avoided them as the game is literally devoid of them except for about of 1/4 of the missions that have you use them liberally. Which I didn't mind because I found the hand to hand combat more to my liking. It can be repetitive sometimes but not as repetitive as the gunplay in most other sandbox games. Its AA or AC style combat which isn't as smooth but is alot more varied.

The driving is arcade like but car chase or car combat based mission are much better than those found in GTA, even though getting away from the cops is a little too easy. Chasing someone on foot was kind of lacking just because catching someone seemed impossible at times and kind of cheap because they always ran to a dead end with friends to help in the fight.

Stat building revolves around 3 stats which is the cop, triad and face stat which all have ten levels. Leveling each stat allowed you to move along two different lines of upgrade for each stat. There is also two lines for upgrading everytime you level your melee stat but that is done by finding
statues around the city that were stolen from your sifu

I was far more impressed with the game than the demo.

Back