Site performance in MSIE

Tagrineth

murr
Veteran
In the last two months I've noticed BIG performance problems with the boards in MSIE...

At home and at school (both 1.5Mbit downstream) many forums and some threads tend to be on the slow side, even when there aren't many users browsing.

And also at home and at every school computer I've visited from, loading a new post/new topic screen has HUGE problems related to the emoticon display on the left... while the emoticon previews are loading, the rest of the window will be pretty much frozen; if I scroll up or down with the mouse scrollwheel everything stretches / blurs to hell, I'll try and save a screen of it later. Loading all the emoticons also takes an unbelievable amount of time, especially considering their very small sizes (more than once I've had to wait over a minute for the new post window to stabilise).

I don't have that kind of problem on my system
win2k pro SP3 + IE6 SP1 on cable

The boards have been slow for me too many times, for no apparent reason. Haven’t had any problems with the emoticons, though. Running WinXP, IE6 on ADSL connection (2Mbps down, 640Kbps up).

Er, right, the school computers are Win98FE with either IE5.5 or IE6 (not entirely sure, and I can't check - a lot of context menus outside of Adobe programmes are blocked).

And here at home it's WinXP Pro SP1 + IE6 SP1.

It seems to vary from time to time for me, so I would tend to think it's not the browser's fault, just network congestion or an overloaded server. Could be a caching issue too, though, since I notice IE seems to load all of the images whenever you navigate through the forum, unless you use the back button.

The boards seem a tad slow to me, but I'd attribute that to either an underpowered server or slow server connection.

I also notice some strange slowdown (in Moz/Phoenix) when the emoticons load upon replying. I'm not sure if it's an issue of slow loading or slowdown due to table resizing.

Speaking of emoticons and nitpicks, I think just adding another row or two (in the reply window) is preferable to a link to see the one or two extra that don't fit in the current 4x5 layout.

OK, here's a screenshot of the problem, which I *STILL* have here at home, and on my school's Win98SE boxes (but not on the Win2k machines)

http://steelkiel.tripod.com/emoticons.jpg

The lines are from me scrolling, and the screen... well, NOT scrolling. And I think you can see the not-blinking cursor in there, which moves but leaves trails that don't go away when I type, and no text I put in will show up until everything snaps back to normal...

Heh, funny, I've been getting that exact problem on other sites, but never on Beyond3D. I don't think it's the sites problem, but possibly something with IE itself and loading pages slowly.

My biggest problem has just been the irritating Flash based adds. Slowing down my entire system to a crawl making IE totally non resposive in some cases. So annoyed I got with them I changed the permissions on Flash.ocx and denied all uses the ability to execute and read it. :)

Back