Sierra Entertainment Unleashes PROTOTYPEâ„¢

Credit: FantasyGhost

Sierra Entertainment Unleashes PROTOTYPE™

Sierra Entertainment and Radical Entertainment Raise the Bar on Open-World Games

Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, today announced PROTOTYPE™, a completely new kind of open-world game, featuring a rich story line of conspiracy, deception and deadly shape shifting action.

Developed by Radical Entertainment, a critically acclaimed developer of open-world games, PROTOTYPE tells the story of Alex Mercer - a man haunted by his past, fighting a secret war in New York City. As the action spirals out of control, a conspiracy tied to his origins threatens the future of mankind itself. Mercer’s amazing shapeshifting powers allow him to become an exact replica and steal the skills or powers of anyone who crosses his path.

PROTOTYPE debuts on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Microsoft's Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system and PC in summer 2008.

“Radical Entertainment has a strong pedigree of critically acclaimed, best-selling open-world games, and Sierra Entertainment is excited to see them craft an original game that has already fired-up the imaginations of press and gamers alike,” said Martin Tremblay, president, Worldwide Studios for Sierra Entertainment.“PROTOTYPE represents the strength of Sierra Entertainment’s internal studios and our commitment to creating original and exciting games.”

“Radical Entertainment set out to create the most dynamic video game character ever imagined. From free-form movement to over-the-top combat action; PROTOTYPE can climb or wall-run across any surface, jump 30 stories high, and destroy anything that crosses his path,” said Kelly Zmak, president of Radical Entertainment.“Our team at Radical has built upon the technology that drove our previous best-selling games and now has the freedom to dream big and imagine a powerful character in a sprawling city like New York, cloaked in a conspiracy and ripped from today’s headlines.”

This is not the compromised parody of NYC we've seen a hundred times before in games like Spider-Man or True Crime - this is New York, as realistically, cinematically and lovingly rendered as it's ever likely to be. Car horns blare, sirens howl, people shout to one another and you genuinely feel like you're standing in a real city. You can almost smell the asphalt and the hot dog vendors.

108376.jpg

108375.jpg

108374.jpg

108373.jpg

108377.jpg

Read a big preview on this in GameInformer, it sounds great.

It's from the guys who made Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, so it's basically Hulk x 10.

Nice concept art in the lowermost picture there.

The others look quite doable in-game methinks but of course if this game won't be out for roughly a year a screenshot now will probably not be representativbe of how thw game looks when it is released..

Peace.

All the superhero/big city games that don't look at least as good as that automatically suck from now on.

That last concept art makes me think of a movie i just saw... what was it's name, a korean film i think ugh... basically a monster fish. I'm trying to figure out the name of it but i just can't. Either way it featured a pun on Americas "Agent Yellow" used in Vietnam but here called "Agent Orange".

Far fetched i know, looks interesting non the less.

Sierra is still around? I thought vivendi absorbed them into their corporate structure after king's quest died and halflife got away.

That last concept art makes me think of a movie i just saw... what was it's name, a korean film i think ugh... basically a monster fish. I'm trying to figure out the name of it but i just can't. Either way it featured a pun on Americas "Agent Yellow" used in Vietnam but here called "Agent Orange".

Far fetched i know, looks interesting non the less.

The Host. And it was called Agent Orange in Vietnam, and Agent Yellow in the movie, as far as I can recall about the movie, and assuming that the subtitles haven't changed since the theatrical premier last year at the TIFF and the blu-ray.

Sierra is still around? I thought vivendi absorbed them into their corporate structure after king's quest died and halflife got away.
The old Sierra On-Line entity was absorbed years ago, but after lots of mucking around Vivendi Games/VU Games seems to have settled back into using the 'Sierra' brand name for their global publishing and development operations.

Back