Sharky against reality - (luzer) review from the past?

T2k

Veteran
It's not even funny, it's only sad...

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3079811__1

One of the typical 'luzer' reviews - that's why GFFX-owners been shocked when they saw their DX9 and REAL GAME performance numbers...
This review is a perfect example how NOT to perform a card review anymore.

Seems guys over at Sharkyextreme have no connection with outer world...
Ridiculous... just check the test list:

- Q3 (!!:oops:!!), RtCW, JKII...ROTFLMAO! Same engine, all of them! :D
- SSamII - yeah, you're right: the 4th OGL-game test... LOL!
- original C4 :rolleyes: first DX but one of the worst engines ever :(
- UT2003 - of course, no notes regarding NV's well-known AF-trick (trilinear off)
- 3DM2001, 3DM03, CCreatures - only TOTAL scores, no details! Cheap trick to hide something... devil is inside...

LOL! DX9 card review and FOUR OLD OGL GAME, ONE DX7-8 games... :(

Dunno... maybe somebody has to tell these guys not to use the built-in demos?... :rolleyes:
they never bothered themselves with custom scripting... all those tests were based on same ol' built-in, default demos.

But the biggest ROTFLMAO: the IQ part! :D
They picked 3DM03 and took a shot from first test (DX7) to measure how cards do their filtering during games... :LOL: LOL

And THAT'S IT.
No word on ANYTHING which surround all GFFX vards nowadays...

Finally the Grand Finale - don't forget, date is September 18, 2003! - here:

Conclusion

The GeForce FX 5900 Ultra is a definite player in the high-and 3D market, and ASUS has a serious challenger with their V9950 Ultra. Performance is top-notch, the slimline cooling hardware is a welcome change, and ASUS quality continues to be a selling point. If you're looking to be on the bleeding edge of 3D game performance and don't mind the sticker price, then the ASUS V9950 Ultra is one tough card to beat.

No comment needed, IMHO.

PS: I think SExtreme has reached its lowest point with this something-something, called 'review',

BTW, has anybody noticed that it's the same Sharky Extreme site which never ever posted ANY news regarding current NVIDIA-GFFX-DX9-scandals?Nothing, nope, not a short news, zero...
:!:
Conspiracy+irony mode ON
Yeah, I know, it's just an accident... such a random accident...
:idea:

I can't believe you were actually reading sharky's its been years since I bothered to go over there. That is the most humorous part of your post to me.

Yes, Sharky's....ah....I doubt I'll ever forget it years ago when Sharky (supposedly not the same Sharky as runs the site today) labeled "AGP Texturing" (at AGPx2, even) a "crucial technology" for "3d performance of the future." Of course, although 3dfx was plain and up front in explaining why it didn't need it, the nVidia card he was contrasting it to *advertised* "AGP texturing" as a feature but was of course just as dependent on local texturing as was the 3dfx card. It was a fact that completely eluded Sharky at the time. Back then, it was relatively easy to pull the wool over many hardware reviewers' eyes, because things like "AGP Texturing" just sounded so "cool" they had to be great (even if the product didn't rely on them)...:) With the market maturing as it is these days it's much harder to pull those kinds of tricks successfully, as nVidia has no doubt discovered this year. And websites that dive head first into a marketing catch-phrase sea are much more likely to wind up ignored these days, which is a good thing for everybody, I think. Yep, Sharky's has struck me as being extreme-ly confused ever since...:)

And here I didnt even know Sharkys was still around. :LOL:

Well at least you can see the diffrence between a review done the old way and the new normal.

And it seems to me that he have enlarged/zoomed already JPEG compressed images! Those big artifacts look so good! :)
There have to be an award for that! :D

Bye!

There have been a # of alarmingly bad reviews here recently. They're like time machines, glimpses of a time prior to this summer when we were all so wonderfully, naively ignorant/innocent. :oops:

Wow! I'm truely amazed that website is still around. I thought they died off two or three years ago.

DaveBaumann said:
And the problem is that those type of reviewers will end up getting all the hardware to review!

They also look like fools, thx to your efforts and B3D's staff...along with a select few other websites.
Credability goes a long way, and people are finally opening their eyes.

Anyone care to take "The Rules" from here and guess how many apply to this review? (I know that site has to do with audio reviews but most of the stuff can apply to other types of reviews)

Be sure to read through some of the other stuff on that site such as the "Code of Ethics" its an interesting read.

I linked over to Sharky's (from Hexus, I think) just because I keep an eye on the reviews coming out to know the overall flavors now, and this one was almost humerous in its overall difference to just about ANYwhere right now. And yes, no information at all about ANY of the happenings in the GPU world of late. Maybe they're trying to keep one or two of their remaining readers by not offending their sensibilities? ;)

The last time I visited SharkyExtreme regularly was when it was called Cyrellis3D. :)

John Reynolds said:
There have been a # of alarmingly bad reviews here recently. They're like time machines, glimpses of a time prior to this summer when we were all so wonderfully, naively ignorant/innocent. :oops:

Yes, a glorious, golden age when all were suckers ripe for the plucking...:D

Are they really time machines, or merely signs of a present that we only wish was past? :?:

Perhaps they are merely signs of business as usual, or of what the future holds.

K.I.L.E.R said:
DaveBaumann said:
And the problem is that those type of reviewers will end up getting all the hardware to review!

Isn't that the entire point of kissing ass? ;)

If all the major websites had enough collective sense to organize and speak to the IHVs "en blanc" about getting review cards at the same time with no strings attached on reviewing them--with the penalty being the IHV gets no free publicity from anybody otherwise--this kind of thing could be eliminated. Pre-shipping publicity is vital to IHVs when they are releasing a new product (unless the product sucks, of course...:))

But the sad fact is that an IHV would find a weak link somewhere--somebody amenable to a bribe in one form or another, not necessarily cash--and the coalition would fall apart and go back to the "every site for itself" credo. From an IHV's PR-department position--an unscrupulous IHV--the strategy is "divide and conquer" among web sites, as while it isn't possible to have them all saying what you want said, it is, unfortunately, possible to have a few of them say it.

Web-site publishers are just like any other cross section--you've got your bright bulbs and your dim bulbs--with the dims not understanding that working collectively can be in their own self-interest as much as anybody else's. As long as the brainless "scoop" mentality prevails, this level of cooperation is probably unlikely.

Back