Shadow of the Colossus is one of the, if not the most beautiful game last-gen, agree?

I see SOTC as one of those classic titles that no matter how far video game visuals progress, it will always look beautiful (more so in motion than in any static shot you could post and then pick apart, which so many individuals liek to do around here I might add..) and the look of the game can never stop you from going back and enjoying the experience again and again (much like stylised games such as 2D fighters, Okami, Zelda Wind Waker, and even FFVII with it's static pre-rendered environs and predominantly vertex-coloured models)..

The art is what stands out, fully agree. The color tone for the lightning and textures and more. But I am shure I posted a link on the previous page to a HD review video, let me check..... yep.

http://www.gametrailers.com/downloadnew.php?id=8135&type=wmv&f=

Excuse me what ? 15 fps average framer rate whenever fighting a colossi !....now unless EU version of SoTC had it's frame rate improved, no, just no.

there where only two battles where frame rate was occasionally that bad, the battle with the third colossus (whenever his giant club impacted the ground ) and the sixth colossus (him smashing the walls down )

Excuse me what ? 15 fps average framer rate whenever fighting a colossi !....now unless EU version of SoTC had it's frame rate improved, no, just no.

there where only two battles where frame rate was occasionally that bad, the battle with the third colossus (whenever his giant club impacted the ground ) and the sixth colossus (him smashing the walls down )

Watch a little higher and you see my previous post, there is a link to the HD video review Of Shadow of the Colossus, check the framerate (and I was wrong it's not only during the colossi fights but in several other places to). ;)

You know, it's easier for the system to handle 3 characters animation (player, horse, collossi) than 2000 characters! ;)

The same thing was said about Gears (they said Gears looks the way it is because there are only 8 characters max). However this game has giant giant characters.

The same thing was said about Gears (they said Gears looks the way it is because there are only 8 characters max). However this game has giant giant characters.

Doesn't change the fact that there is top 3 characters to animate at a given a time. Of course the collossis are huge but still we are talking about top 3 characters to animate.

(they said Gears looks the way it is because there are only 8 characters max)

Same can be said about many games, FN3 for example! ;)

Doesn't change the fact that there is top 3 characters to animate at a given a time. Of course the collossis are huge but still we are talking about top 3 characters to animate.

Same can be said about many games, FN3 for example! ;)

So basically a game is superior regardless of the number of characters on-screen, right?

So what are you arguing about?

So basically a game is superior regardless of the number of characters on-screen, right?

SOTC with 3 or 1000 characters, the game looks as it looks: half-descent in comparasion to old PC titles.

You wrote this,

The same thing was said about Gears (they said Gears looks the way it is because there are only 8 characters max).

I responded with this,

Same can be said about many games, FN3 for example!

Youre comment about Gears was OT but I responded to it neverthless. And no a game is not superior regardless of the number of characters on-screen. It comes down to many variables which include graphics/art/gameplay/sound/game story and more.

But a game with less characters to render could instead render more detailed environments/effects.

So you see I dont know how you got to the conclusion above, perhaps you do selective reading,
no problem I just put more "air" between the sentences in my posts for you so that you read them completly.

That I would ask you! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Good read. Pretty cool stuff and the most extensive interview I've read thus far with Ueda.
--------
People are now comparing God of War to SOTC? Gadzuks! Both are good-looking and both go for completely different art/technical direction. On the surface I guess GoW is more impressive with enemies-on-screen and a nice shiny look to it. But the environments are closed and the camera is fixed. It is appropriate to compare it to the DMC or Onimusha series. SOTC is an odd combination of photo-realism and photo-surrealism.

That I would ask you! ;)

Maybe you don't get me.

A game can be superior with less characters on-screen because the system resource can be used for something else.
But to gamers' eyes, they don't care about that. They just care about the overall of the game.
8 characters don't prevent Gears from getting Game of the Year. Here the resource maybe used for graphics, gameplay...

Maybe you don't get me.

A game can be superior with less characters on-screen because the system resource can be used for something else.
But to gamers' eyes, they don't care about that. They just care about the overall of the game.
8 characters don't prevent Gears from getting Game of the Year. Here the resource maybe used for graphics, gameplay...

Duke wrote the following.
Add better animations than in any next-gen game out so far to the list.;)

I responded with the following below.
You know, it's easier for the system to handle 3 characters animation (player, horse, collossi) than 2000 characters!

You wrote the following below as a response to my above quote, note the bolded part, meaning youre talking about the graphical part.

I respond with the following below, meaning less characters gives more detail to either the characters or game environment!
Same can be said about many games, FN3 for example!

You answer with the following below.

I respond with the following below!
Youre comment about Gears was OT but I responded to it neverthless. And no a game is not superior regardless of the number of characters on-screen. It comes down to many variables which include graphics/art/gameplay/sound/game story and more.

But a game with less characters to render could instead render more detailed environments/effects.

So you are basically saying what I said to you to me now? :LOL:

You know, it's easier for the system to handle 3 characters animation (player, horse, collossi) than 2000 characters!

What you said above is that SotC is not impressive because it has only 3 characters.
My response was that its not the number of characters but the overall (the techniques got implemented) of the game that makes a game superior (impressive).

That's the difference between yours and mine.

What you said above is that SotC is not impressive because it has only 3 characters.
My response was that its not the number of characters but the overall (the techniques got implemented) of the game.

That's the difference between yours and mine.

You are getting it all wrong becouse you aren't reading it in the whole context. I was talking about animations. One more time! ;)

Duke says it has better animations than next-gen games out.
Add better animations than in any next-gen game out so far to the list.;)

I respond with the following below.

And then you understand I have not said that the animations in SotC are unimpressive or bad (they are very very good). But you can't expect next-gen games to be able to animate 1000s of characters with the same animation detail as SotC (non synced).

If SotC had 200 characters at the same time in a frame, do you think the animations would have looked as good?

My response was that its not the number of characters but the overall (the techniques got implemented) of the game.

It's not only about techniques, it's about the precision, is it real or fake (well all effects are trying to fake reality). I already responded to you on the techique post you made on page 1 and gave examples! ;)

Back