Serenity (** warning: spoilers ahead! **)

The Baron said:
I've yet to figure out what the big deal is with Firefly. Okay, it had an interesting setting. But... other than that, it wasn't that good.

Where's that rep button at? Good lord, Firefly is Shakespeare compared to most TV sci-fi.

Babylon 5 was not nearly that good at the same point in its life-cycle. Which is not to say conclusively that Firefly would have exceeded it. . .but it had a shot. . .a good shot.

geo said:
Babylon 5 was not nearly that good at the same point in its life-cycle. Which is not to say conclusively that Firefly would have exceeded it. . .but it had a shot. . .a good shot.

a 14 episode shot, may have eventually been on par with later B5 episodes, but dont know about exceededing them.

just recently showed this series to a few friends lately and they all like it, looks like i have someone to go cinema with :p

not to destroy all hope of a another series but doesnt fox own the rights till 2010, and knowing fox i doubt they'll start a new series cos their all a bunch on arrogant knobs :devilish:

*grumble* It doesn't open until December 2. here and by then I'll probably be so knee deep in spoilers that I'll go see V for Vendetta that opens at the same time instead... (Edit: Or not. Vendetta appears to have been delayed from it's projected Nov. 4 international launch. Probably our cinema company not beeing up to date on their release scedules.) Virtually all other movies are beeing squished aside to give more room for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Monty said:
not to destroy all hope of a another series but doesnt fox own the rights till 2010, and knowing fox i doubt they'll start a new series cos their all a bunch on arrogant knobs :devilish:

Dunno. My fantasy is HBO. . .Firewood? Deadfly? Errm, something.

Zaphod said:
*grumble* It doesn't open until December 2. here and by then I'll probably be so knee deep in spoilers that I'll go see V for Vendetta that opens at the same time instead... Virtually all other movies are beeing squished aside to give more room for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. :devilish:

another *grumble*...i dont even know when it might come here.... and since Firefly was never on TV here, i have my doubts about it.....

so sorry epic, but i will DL it as soon as i see it on torrents.... after all, it was you who told me about the show....

(it sux to discover so many great shows that were never shown here....):???:

John Reynolds said:
Where's that rep button at? Good lord, Firefly is Shakespeare compared to most TV sci-fi.
Exactly. It was also more realistic, every scifi show i can think of has sound in space, SOUND IN SPACE. WTF. When an explosion happens in space (in firefly) you hear silence. Nice. The series was many times better than your average sci-fi show.

epic

John Reynolds said:

I'm not going to argue with that; most of it is awful. Just because the rest of it is bad doesn't make Firefly the Sci-Fi Messiah or anything, though. My real problem with it is that it had none of the more subtle thematic elements that make good sci-fi good sci-fi as opposed to "other genre in space," plus there were a few bad episodes.

geo said:
Kay, but still, that doesn't make it good. First season B5 was pretty terrible, but it fulfilled a role in the grand five-season scheme of things. If you take away the rest of the show, first season B5 is totally forgettable. What's different about Firefly except that it's slightly less forgettable (in my mind, at least)?

I mean, I've seen two great sci-fi shows in the past year--new Doctor Who and BSG--and yet Firefly is the supposed savior of sci-fi? New Doctor Who was pretty consistent, way more interesting than Firefly, and is pretty much ignored (although that's probably due to its very limited viewing audience). BSG kicks the snot out of both of them (Edward James Olmos > *). I realize I'm judging it on the content of what is instead of what could have been (like most Firefly fans seem to do), and I know Joss Whedon's stuff is always full of those thematic undertones that were noticeably lacking from Firefly... but in those fourteen episodes, what exactly is there besides some slightly different (although not too much) characters, a Western-meets-Star Trek-meets-Blade Runner setting, and the plot of a Western in space?

Edward James Olmos DOES > *

The Baron said:
(Edward James Olmos > *)

You my sir, are the man. I've never thought of Olmos to be able to pull of Sci-Fi like this...but somehow he connects. I love him as a chicano and badass latino...and he as an accomplished actor makes me proud to see someone expanding into different realms as he has.

The Baron said:
but in those fourteen episodes, what exactly is there besides some slightly different (although not too much) characters, a Western-meets-Star Trek-meets-Blade Runner setting, and the plot of a Western in space?
You need more?

RussSchultz said:
You need more?
Yeah, that's still kinda lacking. Nothing really interesting about it beyond what's really obvious. I mean, that'd be like making Blade Runner as a detective story with robots (so I guess you could compare Blade Runner to I, Robot, and there you go).

The Baron said:
Kay, but still, that doesn't make it good. First season B5 was pretty terrible, but it fulfilled a role in the grand five-season scheme of things. If you take away the rest of the show, first season B5 is totally forgettable. What's different about Firefly except that it's slightly less forgettable (in my mind, at least)?

I disagree with you here. FF was pretty good right from the beginning. Clever writing, characters, plotlines, etc, and it got this way almost from the get go. Nearly every other show took a couple of seasons to get settled in and as good as FF was by the end of the third or fourth episode. Imagine what it could have been like after a 25 or 50 episodes.

I really do rate FF (what we saw of it) up there with B5 and Farscape.

BSG paid homage to the Firefly.

Watch, the miniseries, where the education minister, soon to be president is waiting in doctor's office about to receive news about her condition. The scene starts off moving into the office, with the camera pitched up, you can seen through the massive array of skylights above a ship passing overhead. It's no biggie at that point, but just as the camera is adjusting it's orientation to become parallel with the floor, you'll catch a ship, fat butt/fuselage, two turbine engines on the side each mounted to stubby wings and a craned neck in the front. I swear that's the firefly!

Saem said:
BSG paid homage to the Firefly.

Watch, the miniseries, where the education minister, soon to be president is waiting in doctor's office about to receive news about her condition. The scene starts off moving into the office, with the camera pitched up, you can seen through the massive array of skylights above a ship passing overhead. It's no biggie at that point, but just as the camera is adjusting it's orientation to become parallel with the floor, you'll catch a ship, fat butt/fuselage, two turbine engines on the side each mounted to stubby wings and a craned neck in the front. I swear that's the firefly!

The company that does the CGI (ie spaceship combat) for BSG is the same one that did it for Firefly.

Back