Serenity (** warning: spoilers ahead! **)

I liked the series, I liked the move - give it 4 out of 5 stars. After Sin City its my second favourite movie this year.

The plot is interesting, the characters play beautifully off one another, there are no gaping plot holes or swap special effects for good drama.

Wish they'd make for episodes of FireFly.

I just went and saw the movie another time. Damn such a good movie. :)

Nite_Hawk said:
The TV show also isn't really consistent with the movie in this regard. The guy left on the ship is made out to have "become" a reaver because he was made to watch over and over them eating/raping/defiling all of the other humans on the ship. All of the other reavers we've now found out are this way because of the addative to the air on miranda. Honestly leaving the guy alive seemed more to serve as a plot device rather than a particular trait of the reavers.

Nite_Hawk

Or he became a reaver because he was exposed to the chemicals that effected the reavers. The whole "watched" reason is what they assumed happened, it is not necessarily the truth. Also I do believe it was added to their water, not air.

I'm surprised no one has yet discussed the overt political overtones in the movie. Or was some of Whedon's dialogue, "We're meddlesome," just coincidental and not meant as commentary on current times?

John Reynolds said:

Joss once commented that Firefly was inspired in part by his reading of the Michael Shaara book "The Killer Angels", which includes a character called....

John Reynolds - "Major General, forty-two. Perhaps the finest soldier in the Union Army."

RussSchultz said:
If you bought it, then good for us.
If you haven't, then you're a stinking thieving pile of poo.
Aw, so binary. :)

If he CANNOT buy it, no money has been lost, surely? Living in America (or for some things, Japan) makes a lot of people ignorant about global releases.

I myself agree with silence's Doom 3 example 100%. I had it on preorder, but I had a slow month when it was released (in America), and so I downloaded it. Played it. Enjoyed it a fair bit (couple too many labs, though). Completed it. Just over a week later, my preorder arrived.

So was I a stinking thieving pile of poo for a week or two there, Russ? Seriously? I bought it as soon as I could, and at full price. I happen to think there is such a thing as a 'moral pirate' - and I think this might be the perfect thread to discuss such a thing, as Malcolm Reynolds is surely not too disparate to a moral pirate. ;)

Would love to hear your opinion, though! :)

Edit: changed a tiny spelling error. These things bug me, OK!? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
pocketmoon66 said:
John Reynolds - "Major General, forty-two. Perhaps the finest soldier in the Union Army."

Heh, shot and killed by a Confederate sniper on the first day of Gettysburg, if memory serves.

John Reynolds said:
Heh, shot and killed by a Confederate sniper on the first day of Gettysburg, if memory serves.
To be fair, you were shot and killed, so we should give your memory a little leeway. ;)

PenguinJim said:
If he CANNOT buy it, no money has been lost, surely?
Strawman. HE CAN BUY IT.

The thing has been out for over a year.
Just over a week later, my preorder arrived.

So was I a stinking thieving pile of poo for a week or two there, Russ? Seriously? I bought it as soon as I could, and at full price.
Yes, but you bought it. As soon as you could. If somebody hasn't bought Firefly yet, but has seen every episode
I happen to think there is such a thing as a 'moral pirate' - and I think this might be the perfect thread to discuss such a thing, as Malcolm Reynolds is surely not too disparate to a moral pirate. ;)
Yes, there probably is. Somebody who thieves movies/shows and never pays for them even when they're available is not a moral pirate.

John Reynolds said:
I'm surprised no one has yet discussed the overt political overtones in the movie. Or was some of Whedon's dialogue, "We're meddlesome," just coincidental and not meant as commentary on current times?

I think it was "We meddle." Firefly verse is based around the Civil War era. Joss does a good job of staying away from his own political views. He said himself that he wouldn't get along with Malcom Reynolds.

Back