"Scientists Call Fish Fossil the 'Missing Link'"

LunchBox said:
I wonder what that thing tasted like...

I was thinking the same thing myself!

Tiktaalik roseae battered and deep fried in dripping with some nice chips (fries, if you prefer). Mmmm.

Mariner said:
I was thinking the same thing myself!

Tiktaalik roseae battered and deep fried in dripping with some nice chips (fries, if you prefer). Mmmm.

Ummm... I hate to dampen your bonfire, but I don't think that potatos had evolved at the time this creature roamed the Earth :cry:

nutball said:
Ummm... I hate to dampen your bonfire, but I don't think that potatos had evolved at the time this creature roamed the Earth :cry:

No, that's the one I linked above, they're alive and well. I'm sure you can get them somewhere in the tropics.

Humus said:
Which raises the question what the point of testing people's faith is.
Possibly to heighten people's awareness of their faith - if you feel that an aspect of yourself is being tested, you will presumably become much more aware of that aspect of yourself, and spend correspondingly more effort to strengthen it (or evade further testing).

Then again, placing out misleading hints without making direct statements, so as to maintain plausible deniability, is a kind of subtly dishonest behavior very often seen in politics; if God too is guilty of this kind of behavior (which he certainly is if all those fossils are placed out specifically to "test our faith"), then the implications for what God really is are a bit ... interesting and a bit disturbing as well.

The more you indulge in fawning over the stupidity of a few people (creationists), the more you give them publicity and make the tiny minority of people in that field suddenly have an audience/funding and so forth.

Why don't you guys go after the cult of Moon or something like that, they haven't gotten enough publicity recently, lets give them a media circus like the creationists and the scientologists.

The way I see it, everybody falls into 3 categories:

*The glamourized who want validation
*The validated who want awknowledgement
*The awknowledged who want glamourization

The reason people fall into these categories is for the sake of having something to empathize with anybody else with. I'm not saying that everybody is a worthless narcissist, I'm saying that people are too obsessed with making somebody an idol so that they don't have to worry about themselves.

Back