Sandy Bridge preview

No we all use outhouses. It's a bitch when it's -10F outside like in the past couple of days. :D Keeps you frosty and alert!!!!

So like what did the new CPU do that the old CPU couldn't? ;)

Well, for one I avoided overclocking Lynnfield, so base 2.8 (3.1 turbo 1 core) to 4.4 (4.5 turbo 1 core) is a massive increase. Even if I had overclocked my Lynnfield, I believe I only got it up to something like 3.4 or 3.6. I can't remember as it's been well over a year since I did that. And that's ignoring the clock for clock increase in perf.

It was also cheaper than my Lynnfield was, although without Hyperthreading. And at stock it's 3.3 (3.6 1 core) which would still have been an increase above and beyond the clock for clock.

Add to that lower power consumption. I may at some point experiement with the turbo clocks to see if single core can do higher than 4.5, I only set it to that due to the 2nd core failing prime 95 when all 4 cores were loaded at 4.5.

If I wasn't concerned with power consumption, upping the vcore would probably allow me to hit anywhere between 4.7 - 5.1 ghz on air.

Being able to reuse both my heatsink (they finally stopped changing mounting holes with each socket revision :p) and RAM also made this upgrade a LOT cheaper than when I went from Core 2 duo to Lynnfield.

As I said, this reminds me quite a bit of the legendary Celeron 300's. Except without the missing cache. :D

Regards,
SB

Well, for one I avoided overclocking Lynnfield, so base 2.8 (3.1 turbo 1 core) to 4.4 (4.5 turbo 1 core) is a massive increase.
Regards,
SB

But what does it actually do for you?! Whats the benefit of the upgrade, lol! Tech whoring? :p

Oh, faster processing for various things. :) Not just games, this also doubles as my work machine. Although since I'm mostly semi-retired, it'll probably end up mostly for games. :D Computers is my main guilty pleasure in life, which is why I budget roughly 1,200 USD a year for it. All of that is from savings gained from other areas. :) Electricity, food (almost only buy when on sale), knowing where to buy cheaper gas, not going to bars every weekend, etc...

Regards,
SB

Oh, faster processing for various things. :) Not just games, this also doubles as my work machine. Although since I'm mostly semi-retired, it'll probably end up mostly for games. :D Computers is my main guilty pleasure in life, which is why I budget roughly 1,200 USD a year for it. All of that is from savings gained from other areas. :) Electricity, food (almost only buy when on sale), knowing where to buy cheaper gas, not going to bars every weekend, etc...

Regards,
SB

You should go to bars every weekend, otherwise I agree with what you said. :cool:

But what does it actually do for you?! Whats the benefit of the upgrade, lol! Tech whoring? :p

My video rendering times got cut in half. I can also scrub video footage in realtime now. Yeah, I'm real happy with the 2600k :) I've haven't had much luck with overclocking on my previous two cpu's. My q6600 2.4ghz could do maybe ~2.8ghz, and my i7920 2.6ghz could only muster 2.8ghz. Was always frustrating to read what seemed like everyone getting crazy clock speeds from their q6600's and 920's yet even with water cooling I couldn't get anywhere near what other people got. Hence why I'm so happy with the 2600k as it solidly does 4.4ghz with no effort on my part, just a plain old stock cooler and letting the firmware do everything automatically. If you have a q6600 in my mind it's a no brainer upgrade for the price. In my case I was using an i7-920 for my business and the sandy bridge cpu is clearly so much faster that it was also a no brainer upgrade as well.

My video rendering times got cut in half. I can also scrub video footage in realtime now. Yeah, I'm real happy with the 2600k :) I've haven't had much luck with overclocking on my previous two cpu's. My q6600 2.4ghz could do maybe ~2.8ghz, and my i7920 2.6ghz could only muster 2.8ghz. Was always frustrating to read what seemed like everyone getting crazy clock speeds from their q6600's and 920's yet even with water cooling I couldn't get anywhere near what other people got. Hence why I'm so happy with the 2600k as it solidly does 4.4ghz with no effort on my part, just a plain old stock cooler and letting the firmware do everything automatically. If you have a q6600 in my mind it's a no brainer upgrade for the price. In my case I was using an i7-920 for my business and the sandy bridge cpu is clearly so much faster that it was also a no brainer upgrade as well.

I think intel is binning the high clocking parts and selling them in the k series.

That's possible, as we'll never know if the other's could or couldn't go higher as the non-K limited overclock CPUs are limited to a 300 mhz overclock while the cheaper CPUs aren't allowed to overclock at all.

Regards,
SB

I can see why you'd be happy, however I still condemn SB for his wastefulness. Im sure there was a child in the Bronx who could have used that money to buy a PSP game or something important. :LOL:

Ah, but my replaced parts never go to the trash, they eventually form a system that I donate. :) Probably better than a PSP for some poor child in the Bronx. ;)

Regards,
SB

Ah, but my replaced parts never go to the trash, they eventually form a system that I donate. :) Probably better than a PSP for some poor child in the Bronx. ;)

Regards,
SB

When donating please don't forget abuse shelters for women. Alot of them need computers to find jobs as if they can get out on their own they are less likely to go back to abusive spouses.

I volunteer at one in NJ and spend my time fixing the old junk they have there. I was able to modernize their equipment last year when my athlon x 2 3800 made its way from my little sisters pc to the shelter. There are mostly p2 300s and some very low clocked p4. I'm sure the ones in NYC are equaly if not more so needy

I sold my E2140 dell optiplex that I'd bought for $200 a couple years ago for about the same price :)
Not planning on upgrading my i5-2300 anytime soon, it's fast enough for 3d 1080p playback with less than %50 cpu utilization and 0% gpu utilization, that's all I need.

When donating please don't forget abuse shelters for women. Alot of them need computers to find jobs as if they can get out on their own they are less likely to go back to abusive spouses.

I volunteer at one in NJ and spend my time fixing the old junk they have there. I was able to modernize their equipment last year when my athlon x 2 3800 made its way from my little sisters pc to the shelter. There are mostly p2 300s and some very low clocked p4. I'm sure the ones in NYC are equaly if not more so needy

I have to find some similar place where I might give some help.
don't know where, here the territory is littered by public structures funded by social security and local government for social needs, national agencies for job search, etc.
well I can maybe more easily find thanks to all of this

what I like doing with the P2s is setting them up as thin client, your x2 3800+ can work as a great multi-user machines. using ubuntu + ltsp.
have to try edubuntu's live dvd which can do the ltsp thing live. the trick is that the P2s have to be able to boot on network. but nice to see them live on their own too

sandy bridge is so insanely powerful I guess it can host tens of low intensity users without breaking a sweat..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't adverse to relgious organizations, many local churches do great local programs for the poor and needy.

As eastmen noted, women's shelters are also great. If you don't like donating to religious organizatiosn you'll want to check before donating. But that applies to a lot of local non-profit programs.

Food banks, schools, charity organizations, boy and girls clubs, etc. Just make sure to properly investigate the organizations before donating to make sure they actually are an organization you wish to donate to.

For example, I stopped donating to Greenpeace back in the late 80's when they went cuckoo. And I'll never donate to something like PETA because of how hypocritical they are and the type of activities they actually fund with donations.

I also try to only donate to local programs. In my area that means mostly local churches, despite me being more Buddhist than anything else. I avoid donating to government funded programs except in special cases. Etc...

If you can't think of anything. Local schools are always a good place to start. Although with public schools they can often have government restrictions on whether they can accept donations or not. :p And as I mentioned, Churches or Temples are always good as long as you don't find them objectionable.

Regards,
SB

Back