Saint's row demo out

Shark Sandwich said:
Well, on the map screen there are 3 different colored zones. Red, blue, and green. The demo takes place in the red zone and there's a glowing red barrier around it, so I think this is unfortunately part of the game.

Look closer at the red walls, they say "DEMO"

This city is all open from the start of the game I believe....or maybe that's crackdown.

Shark Sandwich said:

-- The police are much more lenient. I beat like 20 people to death without getting the cops on me. Also, the police will easily give up on chasing you if you manage to get away.
-- The physics are much more intricate, although not exactly lifelike. I kicked a dead woman in the crotch and the body went flying. It was hilarious.
-- The AI is even dumber. People will patiently sit there while you jack their car or beat up pedestrians 2 feet away.

-- For some reason there's no blood at all. I guess they wanted to keep it family-friendly.

i guess so too : )

:LOL: Yeah, it makes no sense.

ESRB:

MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

TEEN
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

# Intense Violence - Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons and depictions of human injury and death

# Sexual Themes - Mild to moderate sexual references and/or depictions. May include partial nudity

# Strong Language - Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously they're scared of being singled out/prosecuted by the media and politicians.

The guns are like blue toy guns, no real blood or bullet wounds, the entire thing is more cartoon violence than anything. Doesn't really bother me to tell you the truth, though I don't see the problem with it being more realistic.

scooby_dooby said:
Obviously they're scared of being singled out/prosecuted by the media and politicians.

The guns are like blue toy guns, no real blood or bullet wounds, the entire thing is more cartoon violence than anything. Doesn't really bother me to tell you the truth, though I don't see the problem with it being more realistic.
Probably the blood is off for the demo?

Sis said:
Probably the blood is off for the demo?
I don't think so, they talked about it in one of their interviews, it's an intential decision to curb the violent image of the game. Not really sure why they care...

scooby_dooby said:
I don't think so, they talked about it in one of their interviews, it's an intential decision to curb the violent image of the game. Not really sure why they care...

Especially considering the language and the subject matter in the demo. At this point you can find blood and gunplay on almost any channel on cable. However I rarely hear the kind of language used in this game outside of R rated films and stand-up comedians who work 'blue.'

There's an early mission where you need to kill pimps (by shooting them or just beating them to death on the street) who are beating up their "hos" and bring them to a new pimp...

To curb the violent image? :LOL: This game is about gangs.

They have profanities. You can get high and drunk. You can kill people, but no blood? Maybe its for performance reasons?:LOL:

edit: I just noticed that there is some blood in the opening cinematic

chroniceyestrain said:
To curb the violent image? :LOL: This game is about gangs.

They have profanities. You can get high and drunk. You can kill people, but no blood? Maybe its for performance reasons?:LOL:

edit: I just noticed that there is some blood in the opening cinematic

They have blood bursts, that's about it. Like a guy get shot in the back of the head, point blank, a little pink mist shows up and that's about it, he falls down dead no bullet wounds or anything,

You have to think they saw the scapegoating that GTA put up with, and decided they didn't want any part of that. Though...whatever happened to any publicity is good publicity??

you can pass through the red wall in the demo, i tried it, it's working, but not every time, gotta be patient to succeed
it's explained on video there
http://www.gamevideos.com/

on the left, in the "the hot list" section, the video called Breaking Saints Row demo barrier

I wasn't too impressed. Im probably biased because GTA:SA is my all time favourate game but I think there were several problems with the demo:

Framerate was very bad - especially considering the graphics.

Graphics are barely better than the PC version of GTA:SA IMO. Thats not to say that they arn't good enough or even quite nice in places though.

I hate the on foot camera control. Why can't it just face the way your running?!?

The rest seems fairly even with GTA so far. I like the combat system with multiple buttons - thats a one up on GTA.

pjbliverpool said:
I wasn't too impressed. Im probably biased because GTA:SA is my all time favourate game but I think there were several problems with the demo:

Framerate was very bad - especially considering the graphics.

Graphics are barely better than the PC version of GTA:SA IMO. Thats not to say that they arn't good enough or even quite nice in places though.

Well to compare it to the PC version of GTA:SA is to take it a bit to far. Neverthless Saint Row doesnt have anything graphically that makes one say "wow". The framerate is bad according to the ones having the demo but it makes me wonder if it also is caused becouse of data from the disc being transfered to RAM.

:D

Wasn't really expecting much, since this is probably the most straight up clone of GTA ever made. It doesn't really seem to do anything new or exciting that GTA didn't, and doesn't really have any appeal over it for me -- I'd rather just play GTA3/VC/SA if I was in the mood.

If you're going to clone a game, at least add something significant of your own or add your own twist to it (like that 360 game with atrocious art style that should be coming next year ...I can't remember the name... at least that isn't a straight clone, it has its own twist added to the GTA style game).

Bobbler said:
Wasn't really expecting much, since this is probably the most straight up clone of GTA ever made. It doesn't really seem to do anything new or exciting that GTA didn't, and doesn't really have any appeal over it for me -- I'd rather just play GTA3/VC/SA if I was in the mood.

If you're going to clone a game, at least add something significant of your own or add your own twist to it (like that 360 game with atrocious art style that should be coming next year ...I can't remember the name... at least that isn't a straight clone, it has its own twist added to the GTA style game).
I couldn't believe how much this game feels like GTA. It's uncanny. I'm really hoping the final game is an improvement, but right now I'm thinking this will be another game that thinks "edgy" == "cursing alot". Though I have to admit there's something satisfying about punching someone into the air with an uppercut (and then kicking them a few times on the ground all the while laughing about just how wrong this is).

Polygon Crusher said:
Well to compare it to the PC version of GTA:SA is to take it a bit to far. Neverthless Saint Row doesnt have anything graphically that makes one say "wow". The framerate is bad according to the ones having the demo but it makes me wonder if it also is caused becouse of data from the disc being transfered to RAM.

:D

Hey Polygon Crusher, hows it going?

I think I was remembering San Andrea better than it was, I just had a quick blast on the two side by side and Saints does have a fair edge - although still no-where near what it should be.

Saints does have obvious technological edges, but at least in my opinion it doesn't have the artistic quality and consistancy of San Andreas.

Bobbler said:

There's an entire multiplayer component in this game, afaik none of the GTAs had that.

Did GTA have multi on any platform or is everyone just ignoring that? Based on the number/variety of modes i've read about, it doesnt seem just tacked on at the end.

Back