S3 releases the "highest-clocked GPU"

Cartoon Corpse said:
im eager to see how these stack up against comparable nvidia/ati units. low power/heat sounds good...but how 'tough' are they?

Anyway, it says "fanless design", which sounds nice so far for low-power apps.

Looks to me like idle power is good, but 3D power consumption is quite poor. So if you plan on gaming on your laptop, this chip will actually shorten the battery life.

And besides, S3's always had shitty drivers.

Chalnoth said:
Looks to me like idle power is good, but 3D power consumption is quite poor. So if you plan on gaming on your laptop, this chip will actually shorten the battery life.

And besides, S3's always had shitty drivers.

Give them a break man. I think the drivers for the Chomes have been pretty solid and user friendly.

zeckensack had some good and bad things to say about S3 in a recent thread. If they can just support their cards after release, instead of how they used to abandon things, then maybe they're worth considering.

Interesting that they seem to have decoupled texture units from pixel pipes, according to TR:
the S20 series GPUs combine four vertex shaders, eight pixel shaders, and four texture units per GPU.
Maybe Scott('s source) meant ROPs, though.

So it looks like without AA or AF, the S27 @ 700/700 core/mem is able to beat the NV43 @ 300/300. S3 should be proud! :rolleyes:

Well, if they can make a profit, then good for them. But it'll be very tough/impossible for S3 to beat the X700 at that speed, which is already below $100.

Uttar said:
Hmm, isn't that 700/350 compared to 300/300? Or am I confused here?

Uttar
I see. My bad. I didn't think S3 would launch their highest speed chip with such low speed memory, but I guess I'm wrong. Even the X1300Pro is 800MHz.

Still, the plain X700 also has that speed memory, so I think S3 should aim at this graphics card as opposed to the vanilla 6600. The S27 is, after all, PS2.0.

Uttar said:
Hmm, isn't that 700/350 compared to 300/300? Or am I confused here?
If you're confused, I'm stoned. I seriously thought they were including 700MHz GDDR3 with this $100 part (all that talk of 512MB GTXs...). That explains their targetting 6600, then, but hopefully someone will try to pair it with faster RAM.

700MHz (1400MHz) 128-bit GDDR-3 RAM, yielding 22.4GB/s of bandwidth, is obviously cheap enough to make a $100 part viable for S3, as both Tech Report and Hexus are reporting the S27 variant as having 700MHz memory instead of 350MHz. The S27 will have slightly more bandwidth than the 9800Pro, which is equipped with 340MHz/680MHz 256-bit GDDR-1.

I think in order to claim you have the fastest clocked gpu you need atleast 16 PP...
And even having the highest clocked gpu is a silly thing to boast about if a lower clocked gpu can smash it to bits.

Chalnoth said:
Clock speed is a silly thing to boast about regardless. And it always has been.
:smile:
It was great when amd beat intel to 1 ghz and intel had to resort to the P4 to complete, with initially performed poorly, infact untill most of the apps for SSE2...
Intel go their revenge though with hyperthreading...
and we know how the rest played out...

Back