• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11852

Well this is an interesting development, from C&VG:

C&VG said:
Sony has teased a new announcement related to Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games.

On its official PlayStation Twitter account, the platform holder posted an image with the accompanying slogan, "when worlds collide... heroes return."

I still love Ratchet & Clank, for me it's pure gameplay that never grows old. Ignoring Q-Force.

Part of me hopes for a Resistance game. But that part is quickly beaten into submission by the reality that it's more likely a Ratchet and Clank game. Which is cool. But not quite as cool...

Part of me hopes for a Resistance game. But that part is quickly beaten into submission by the reality that it's more likely a Ratchet and Clank game. Which is cool. But not quite as cool...

I've still not played Resistance 3, but "when worlds collide... heroes return" - plural - suggests Ratchet & Clank. Unless there are other heroes (plural) in Insomniac's past that I've overlooked. But I like this mercenary approach by developer Insomniac :)

Are Insomniac stretching themselves too thin? They have that XB360 game (Sunset Overdrive?), and then a Sony game too? Why not cross-platform? Did both Sony and MS money-hat Insomniac? That strikes me as odd given Insomniac's record this gen wasn't particularly amazing.

Are Insomniac stretching themselves too thin? They have that XB360 game (Sunset Overdrive?), and then a Sony game too? Why not cross-platform? Did both Sony and MS money-hat Insomniac? That strikes me as odd given Insomniac's record this gen wasn't particularly amazing.
Could be. Does anybody know about many internal dev teams Insomniac has? Given their PS3 game rate of release I'd say one team but maybe they've expanded to two (or more) like Naughty Dog.

I think they have two releasing one game a year on alternate cycles. 180 employees by Googlage. But they've just finished Fuse (which wasn't all that hot, IMO), which means concurrent work on Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, and Sony game. Considering they aren't getting the results with the hardware that they earned their reputation for on PS1 and 2, I worry for their game quality. Then again, Sunset Overdrive doesn't have a release date, so we could be looking at two games both with a year to go.

R&C ToD, ACiT and Resistance 1 & 3 were great games. Everything else was ok or meh. Wouldn't mind a Resistance or a R&C game on the PS4.

I think they have two releasing one game a year on alternate cycles. 180 employees by Googlage. But they've just finished Fuse (which wasn't all that hot, IMO), which means concurrent work on Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, and Sony game. Considering they aren't getting the results with the hardware that they earned their reputation for on PS1 and 2, I worry for their game quality. Then again, Sunset Overdrive doesn't have a release date, so we could be looking at two games both with a year to go.

Yeah, Wikipedia is a bit vague, but we have:
  • 2009: Resistance 3 and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  • 2011: Ratchet & Clank Collection
  • 2012: Outernauts (Facebook), R&C: Full Frontal Assault (Q-Force)
  • 2013: Fuse
That isn't looking like the output of two full time AA/AAA dev teams, particularly as the 2011 project was at least partly undertaken by Idol Minds and the Vita R&C 2012 project was done by Tin Giant but they may be in transition which is quite possible migrating from a Sony-exlcusive studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back