RIP Steve Jobs (merged with other thread of same name)

Oh, also, my project on NeXTSTEP at University helped me to get a half decent degree after three years of indolence. ;)

I did the modeling work for both my Master's and PhD on NeXTSTEP machines. Mathematica, g++ and an X11 client to Ansys on a mainframe. The final wavelet transform runs were uploaded to a Cray, but those 7 years were all NeXT on my desktop.

I did the modeling work for both my Master's and PhD on NeXTSTEP machines. Mathematica, g++ and an X11 client to Ansys on a mainframe. The final wavelet transform runs were uploaded to a Cray, but those 7 years were all NeXT on my desktop.

Wait... So does that make you Dr Mize to the rest of us?

Not forgetting that Tim Berners-Lee also tooled around a bit with NeXTSTEP to develop some technology or other...

One of the founding fathers of the whole IT industry is gone. A day to be sad over the loss but also a day to rejoice on his amazing accomplishments and what they have brought to the entire industry and how they have positively affected millions of lives.

Not forgetting that Tim Berners-Lee also tooled around a bit with NeXTSTEP to develop some technology or other...

Indeed. One can't say TimBL wouldn't have developed WWW without his NeXT Cube, but one also can't say that the NeXT Cube, NeXTSTEP and Objective-C, all parts of Jobs' vision, weren't instrumental in TimBL's invention of the world wide web.

For gamers let's not forget that Carmack developed both Wolf3D and Doom on a NeXT Cube too. Jobs' embracing of Objective-C over C++ was key in furthering object oriented programming.

I like the story of how, after returning to Apple, Jobs had the Apple I computer removed from Apple's lobby; he was always wanting to go forward and leave the past behind.

I found Steve Job's speech at Stanford very interesting:
It was a wonderful speech. Very personal, truly thought-provoking and inspirational. I wish I could have been one of the young graduates who sat there listening to it; alas, almost a decade and a half, many thousands of kilometers and a host of other factors barred me from that, but at least I got to watch it over the intertubes...

I'm not much of a fan of the person Steve Jobs, or Apple the company (both have a reptutation for being notoriously ruthless at times), but as mentioned here in this thread, he was a founding father of modern computing - and in his case this is more true than in most - few single people in this industry, which is quite big and encompasses many many individuals - have had such a direct, and such a large impact on peoples' daily lives.

There's Bill Gates, a couple others, and not that many more.

That's an accomplishment any way you look at it. Even an iHater should be able to agree with that, but somehow I doubt they will. ;)

Damn ben I don't recall you ever mentioning that around here. Of course if you didn't I completely understand. Internet friends don't really count for much, but hell don't go dying without saying goodbye!

And it's awesome that you're doing okay now. Peace and love :)

I never was and never will be an Apple guy but I got an iPod touch 4 for Christmas. You can think whatever you like about the company and its policies, but it's just an awesome device.

It was a quote from Steve.
homerdog I'm doing OK, been absent from here for a while but life goes on but its nice to be remembered.

I never owned any Apple product, but I always admired him...
and his influence and impact are certainly bigger than the companies he started,
RIP

To lose a great visionary in his prime is what will hurt everyone from a macro perspective. You can't even begin to put a value on that.

In high school, I envied a friend who had an Apple ][, but cheered up when the school bought 6 of them in my final year. I eventually got a 512k "fat" Mac in university which I found to be a wonderful machine.

haha nice one, Im a bit surprised with the general lack of 'news' around his death, i.e. it died out so quickly. After all he is the biggest IT guy bar none ever. But thats prolly more reflective on how media is today, very short attention span.
Should of gone out with a bang like kurt corbain, now that would of had them talking for weeks.

I don't think the media would give more attention to anybody else's death, barring a president being assassinated.

I'm wondering how this will affect Apple's company culture. He was probably more hands-off in the last few years due to the cancer but I hope the company still does new stuff. Apple has always had a bead on designing a good user interface that most companies can't match, probably why they essentially created the platform for modern smartphones.

Back