Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by idsn6, May 8, 2013.

1. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yeah you definitely get used to it. Even Lucky's Tale gave me a bit of motion sickness when I first started playing it but it quickly passed. The more often you play, the quicker you get used to it.

2. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Just tried out Windlands. Took off all the VR anti vomit-measures - no problems. Guess I got my VR legs.

Awesome game, by the way. Bionic Commando in VR basically.

3. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

As I said a few weeks ago...I really expect Scorpio to support as much VR HMDs as possible (with the Vive being the high-end experience IMO). Here's what Phil Spencer had to say about that:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-xbox-scorpio-and-beyond.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

RootKit likes this.
  4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Not going to be a very good VR game they make if they're using Photoshop and not some 3D modelling software...

cheapchips and Arwin like this.
  5. manux

Veteran Regular

I got the new razer blade with nvidia 1060. Rift works wonderfully on it. Based on the first ~half an hour or so I would claim blade runs vr better than my desktop with nvidia 780 Ghz edition. This is quite an achievement for not too thick 14" laptop.

Blade supports rift "out of the box". No hacking needed. I guess razers vr ready claims are true.

#1505 manux, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  6. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Flat 3d should look good in VR I think. Imagine making a game where everything is flat, like Mario paper.

Only the world is 3d.

Make it like a miniature world floating in front of you

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's still 3D. If you just use 2D sprites (3D quads), texture res will need to be off the charts! But would like to see a VR Tearaway world - would look amazing if with good quality GI. Abstract is where VR could really shine.

8. tabs

Veteran

Load up SteamVR and in the introduction section you'll see a few flat characters running around - it's extremely effective. Works on Rift and Vive.

pjbliverpool likes this.
  9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yes I was thinking about that too. Presumably Tearaway didn't do well enough on PS4? Bound though is much like this and a Tearaway VR could reuse a lot of that tech. Bound is also getting a pretty serious Pro upgrade and it is already *very* good ...

10. manux

Veteran Regular

Good news

http://www.roadtovr.com/steamvr-to-get-linux-and-mac-osx-support-in-a-few-months/

11. manux

Veteran Regular

My touch order has shipped. Cannot wait for the hands to arrive next week :)

#1511 manux, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

lucky !

I got charged but mine hasn't shipped yet , perhaps tomorrow

13. manux

Veteran Regular

Some hype and reviews while waiting. I'll get mine tomorrow. Hopefully the third sensor ships before holidays.

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-controllers-review/

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/05/oculus-touch-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/5/13811232/oculus-touch-rift-vr-motion-controller-review

http://www.roadtovr.com/watch-us-test-oculus-touch-tracking-room-scale-tracking-to-the-limits/

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-review-reach-rift/

pjbliverpool likes this.
  14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I'm so excited mine showed delivery today and I waited by the door and it never came. Now it says by the end of day tomorrow. That means I wont get it till like 10pm. But I can do more cleaning and get some last minute changes to maximize floor space out of the way

15. hughJ

Regular

Mine still hasn't processed or shipped yet. Oh well, I have a 1080 that's scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'll get to re-experience some Vive titles until Touch finally gets here. Also need to figure out whether the Oculus cameras are going to be able to handle my Vive's room size, or if I'm going to need to dedicated mounts for the cameras. I was hoping I'd be able to screw one or two of the cameras into the exposed threaded hole of the lighthouses, but I'm thinking that might put them too far away.

The launch lineup looks excellent though. The bundled software is actually almost too good - in the sense that I'm left wondering how many people are going to be buying much third-party Touch launch content at all for the next couple months.

from Reddit:

Free for Preorders

(Codes will be sent to you in an email upon shipping)

Free With Any Oculus Store Purchase (limited time offer)

Free Upon Activating Touch controllers

Free for Everyone

I think I would have been happy had they only bundled Medium and something else.

pjbliverpool likes this.
  16. manux

Veteran Regular

I guess the play area on rift is quite much smaller than vive based on reviews.

I'm probably going to get i expect you to die and wait for rest of the neat games to come on sale.

I need better gpu but I decided to wait just a bit. There is enough rumors that I want to see what comes out next.

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Touch Launch Bundle

5 titles $89.99

Space pirate Trainer (14.99)

I expect you to die (24.99)

Kingspray Graffiti (14.99)

Super hot (24,99)

The climb (49.99)

and due to a promotion you'd get rip coil free. So that's $10

its a good bundle

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

and ups still has my controllers they didn't even try to deliver due to operating conditions... Its 3 miles from my house we didn't even get rain till 5pm and I got two packages earlier today.

This really sucks

19. manux

Veteran Regular

Touch is amazing to a point that I would call it magical. The tracking is truly spectacularly 1:1 even with really fine movements. The capacitive buttons and gestures are much more useful than what I thought. For example grabbing and letting go is very natural. The getting to know the controller minigame/app is also just fantastic.

On the negative side the touch play area calibration is bit tedious and might take second try to optimize camera placement. Also without third sensor there clearly is ways to obstruct the path and get poor tracking if you turn away from cameras/place hands behind back.

Overall I'm super happy how touch turned out. And now time to go install rest of the free stuff and try it out.

pjbliverpool and eastmen like this.
  20. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Still waiting for mine to be shipped :(

Loving reading the impressions though.