Ridge Racer 7 Screens are finally out...

Looks nice but the screens are small. Some textures seem low quality. The budha statue particularly isnt exactly what I d call next gen looking.And the water on the first pic is flat.

OK, I overlooked the handhelds. But then again is it rated so high because it's so great, or is it rated so high because it's on a handheld, where the expectations of what the game should deliver are lower?
RR is seen as one of the top games to buy for the psp (thats saying alot when you put games like lumines, daxter, wipeout, gta:lcs, syphon filter,etc in the mix), very fun pick up and go game. If the game was rated differently just because it was a handheld and was given "a break", im sure the DS game would have scored better.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/924896.asp

Wow, 3% higher than Apex on the Xbox. (And what a turd that game was)
I didnt realize 9 out of 10's, 4.5 out of 5's, and 8 out of 10's were regarded as a bad game? RRV had totally different handling than the psp and 360 versions.

RR is seen as one of the top games to buy for the psp (thats saying alot when you put games like lumines, daxter, wipeout, gta:lcs, syphon filter,etc in the mix), very fun pick up and go game. If the game was rated differently just because it was a handheld and was given "a break", im sure the DS game would have scored better.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/924896.asp

Maybe. But at best you've now shown that the series is very hit and miss.

I didnt realize 9 out of 10's, 4.5 out of 5's, and 8 out of 10's were regarded as a bad game? RRV had totally different handling than the psp and 360 versions.

Even the worst stinkers can get a few good scores. Somebody likes everything.

But when the average is a 79%, those 9's and 4.5's are clearly the exception, and there are quite a few 5's and 6's in there too. Like I said, overall it's just 3% higher than Apex, which sucked horribly.

But when the average is a 79%, those 9's and 4.5's are clearly the exception, and there are quite a few 5's and 6's in there too. Like I said, overall it's just 3% higher than Apex, which sucked horribly.

And look who gave the 5's and 6's. And look who gave the high scores to Apex. Non reputable sites/mags, xbox oriented mags/sites, etc.

Powderkeg, its obvious you don't care much about RR, what is the point of your argument?

Maybe. But at best you've now shown that the series is very hit and miss.

RR is an emblematic game, with its own unique surrealistic driving style, and generally easy-to-pick-up gaming. it's not a driving simulator, alright, but it's a racer delivering some very fun experience. it's ok that you don't like it, but that does not make this game, or the series as a whole, suck. of course you're free to critisize any aspect of this game that you personally don't like.

i, for one, enjoyed the psp version a lot, especially when challenging/being challenged by complete strangers at public places, on the bus or on train - seeing the opponent's reaction definitely adds to the whole experience of multiplayer.

RR for PSP is a gem. Absolutely still the best racer I remember playing in the last generation... music too!

Agreed. I finished the game 100% + (i.e. I did some extra racing for better times, and some of those greatly thought out timed championships), which includes the 39 World Tours and unlocking all the bonus cars and bonus movies (some people think you've finished the game when you get the first ending movie, which has some of the best sound quality ever, by the way, and beautiful graphics).

The playability was just perfect for a handheld. I loved the game to death. I never even ran into someone else who had the game, as I got the PSP 5 days after launch date in Japan, and I live in Europe, so mainstream didn't start getting the PSP until September.

I also got most of the other Ridge Racers. In comparison, the fifth that was released near launch for the PS2 wasn't all that hot, playing it in retrospect, but back then I did play it a fair bit. The 4th version wasn't bad either, on the old PS1.

If the game is anything like it's PSP cousin, and especially if it has good online modes, then I'm sure the game will do well. The 360 version got much better reviews than you think - you have to read them to know what I mean - but the 360 got PGR3, which obviously exclipsed the title, and rightly so.

In general though the RR series make for pretty good launch games, traditionally.

Thread Pruned

Keep on topic, guys.

And try not to take any bait, while you all are at it. ;)

Slightly Larger Screens:
rr74wu1.jpg

More here:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153385&did=1

it looks a bit like race racer back on playstatioin . greyish not so colorfullish

its a style .
I played the demo on xbox360 , that looked so colorfull (i could be wrong, i ditched my xbox 5 months ago now)

it looks a bit like race racer back on playstatioin . greyish not so colorfullish

its a style .
I played the demo on xbox360 , that looked so colorfull (i could be wrong, i ditched my xbox 5 months ago now)

You said that before... I asked why but i dont remember the answer... why did you ditch you 360?

LOL. It looks nice, but does it play less stupid than before? RR6 was so fake it was ridiculous. I played the demo with some friends and we just laughed at it. Going from a sim like Forsza say to RR6 was really sad. I think I blasted thru the entire demo without letting up on the gas. Cornering in the game was just laughably miraculous.

Ya I know some people apparently like the "arcade" style. If that's what this is called. Heh.

Test Drive U looks way more interesting. That demo was nifty.

never played RR on the psp I'm guessing?
Anyways I think RR7 is going back to RR5 style racing, they mention being able to change your cars handling and other adjustments. I suppose we will see at TGS when people get some hands on with it.

LOL. It looks nice, but does it play less stupid than before? RR6 was so fake it was ridiculous. I played the demo with some friends and we just laughed at it. Going from a sim like Forsza say to RR6 was really sad. I think I blasted thru the entire demo without letting up on the gas. Cornering in the game was just laughably miraculous.

Ya I know some people apparently like the "arcade" style. If that's what this is called. Heh.

Test Drive U looks way more interesting. That demo was nifty.

It's not a driving simulation. Comparing it to Forza, GT, etc. is completely bonkers. Arcade racers should be fun and quick to pick up. If you want to compare it to sg., I'd suggest games like Burnout,etc.

The scenery looks really rush. A soft, low-key look. IQ looks good (downsizing?). The foliage seems very highly sampled. Could this be nVidia's texture antialising? The lighting seems a little uncertain for me though. Like GT, the focus seems to be on the cars. There are people without shadows, and walls lacking any form of GI. Maybe that's yet to be put in. I imagine it'll all look pretty stellar in motion.

Back