resolution order

Davros

Legend
noticed this in a few games
you expect resolutions to be listed in order (which they are foor the most part) except for 1440x900 is there a reason for this?

As far as I know there is no guaranteed order in which the API reports the resolutions. It could be that the 1440x900 resolution is a custom resolution, added later, and as such not in a logical order.
I always run my own sorting routine over the resolutions before displaying them, to catch this problem.

ive never added any custom resolutions,
it happens in a few games and its allways 1440x900

I didn't say YOU added it later, just that the resolution may have been added later, because of a custom .inf file or something.

As far as I know there is no guaranteed order in which the API reports the resolutions.

Yup. In my experience resolutions can come in any order. Often they are semi-ordered, but occasionally there are some resolutions that seem quite unordered. Ordering of resolutions is quite subjective anyway. Placing 1152x864 before 1280x720 in that list makes sense if you consider width first, then height. But if you consider total pixels 1152x864 is the larger resolution. The most user friendly ordering would probably be to sort by aspect ratio, with those matching that of the monitor first.

I meant that it can come in any order for a given machine. So for games that don't do their own sorting, it'll whatever order the system likes. For your machine, the above would be it. It doesn't change from run to run though AFAIK. It could change with a new driver, new monitor, new monitor driver, custom resolutions added or any other such factor though. If the supported resolutions ever changed from the time you installed the OS chances are the list would be unordered, or semi-ordered.

Back