resetting xp settings to default

chumps

Newcomer
hi,

i'm pretty familiar with xp but up until recently i haven't had to deal with its network settings. (being previously spoiled by relatively pain-free static-ip network)

now that i'm on a dhcp connect, i'm having trouble with my router. or more specifically my windows network settings when (and only when) i'm connected to my router.

i have 2 comps on the router. my friend's works, mine doesnt. if i connect the cable modem directly to my computer it works. if i'm connected to the router it doesnt, and i also get this extra thing in my 'network connections'

under the heading 'internet gateway' - internet connection (residential gateway) (disabled)

i know i ran through one too many wrong network wizard options. now how do i get rid of it? or just reset the network settings because w/ default settings i'm sure everything would work.

would appreciate any help on this matter!

by that do you mean like all the stuff under my local area connection properties?

ive uninstalled that stuff, but i can't uninstall tcp/ip. if i disable (or uncheck) tcp/ip then the internet gateway thing goes away. if i re-check it, gateway comes back. pretty annoying. i don't know what else i can do. tried uninstalling nic and reinstalling and i get the same problem.

Check what settings your friends comp. is at set under there and make sure the connection is not firewalled.

Xenus said:
Check what settings your friends comp. is at set under there and make sure the connection is not firewalled.

the connection is not firewalled. all the lan properties are the same between the two computers. it's just the weird gateway stuff comes up on mine :(.

The gateway is a result of universal plug and play. It allows, for example and in theory, software running in your computer to open up and forward ports from your router to your NIC. Stuff that you have to do manually most of the time.

Alas, you can try disabling UPnP on the router or in your PC, which is probably what your friend did even if through a software firewall.

But why do you want to get rid of it? Providing there are no more holes in UPnP (knock on wood) it shouldn't bother you that much...

Back