Internet speed problems with Win7

So you're router is effectively at your ISP?
If you run ipconfig /all on the w7 machine & another how do they compare?
Really curious as to what could do this.

So you're router is effectively at your ISP?
If you run ipconfig /all on the w7 machine & another how do they compare?
Really curious as to what could do this.

Yeah.
well, i'm not sure what exactly is "safe to paste" regarding the IPs, but they're pretty much the same, IPs of course different, subnet masks are different etc.
And Win7 ofc has all the IPv6 stuff too, and the tunneling adapters and whatnot, which XP doesn't. (yes, I've tried with IPv6 disabled, too, no difference on the performance)
Only thing that caught my eye is that while DHCP server is the same on both, on laptop (XP) it's also the default gateway, while on Win7 machine the default gateway is different one. They're at the same physical location, though, based on IP tracing.

Okay, now this is strange, I tried another torrent, this time linux image, and it's coming in at max speed.
I also tried Firefox just for kicks, and it gets full speed aswell, didn't even think about the possibility that it could be mostly just browser issues, since Safari was just as slow as IE

So - now what's wrong with IE and Safari, and why them but not FF?

for curiosity's sake, try setting the w7 machine (statically) to the laptop's settings (disconnect laptop) and see what happens. If it changes, maybe manually set the gateway...are they on the same ip range?

for curiosity's sake, try setting the w7 machine (statically) to the laptop's settings (disconnect laptop) and see what happens. If it changes, maybe manually set the gateway...are they on the same ip range?

Well as I just posted, the problem seems to be browser related after all somehow, since FF seems to be unaffected while IE & Safari are affected, what Safari and IE share that FF doesn't?

Well as I just posted, the problem seems to be browser related after all somehow, since FF seems to be unaffected while IE & Safari are affected, what Safari and IE share that FF doesn't?

How exactly are you measuring the speed? Are you using something outside the application like NetMeter? In-application indicators (especially browsers) can be notoriously inaccurate.

Are you also using multiple connections to saturate your bandwidth, either by increasing your browser connections, or preferably a download manager so you can have multiple files from multiple sources downloading at once?

Are you using a proxy of some description?

How exactly are you measuring the speed? Are you using something outside the application like NetMeter? In-application indicators (especially browsers) can be notoriously inaccurate.

Are you also using multiple connections to saturate your bandwidth, either by increasing your browser connections, or preferably a download manager so you can have multiple files from multiple sources downloading at once?

Both netmeter-type thing (hosted by my ISP) and downloading (big) things from places I _know_ are supposed to be fast for me and have been in past (like funet, which is apparently straight in Finlands internet "backbone" or whatever the "mainnetwork" is called)

Don't have Chrome installed atm, will try that one tomorrow unless I can solve this when I come home drunk

I'm using Security Essentials as AV, but I've tried with it's realtime protection disabled aswell, doesn't change anything.

Most bizarre thing I've seen. AV software typically focuses on port 80 and 8080 in addition to email ports (25, 110, 465, 993), not specific apps. Same with firewalls and the like.

Oh my f#cking #¤"¤"#¤"
It was in the end simplest thing in the world, just overlooked it alltogether.
Had "automaticly detect settings" in LAN configuration enabled, and both IE and Safari use the same, Windows settings for it, unticked it and everything works like a charm.
FF doesn't use it.

Could be the gateway it was automatically detecting. Is it now using the same gateway as the other machine? Either that or maybe it was detecting some proxy settings from your AV and automatically using them?

Regards,
SB

It's still using same gateway as before, not the same as XP machine.
I'm not aware of any proxy settings MS Security Essentials would apply or any such, but then again, I have no idea anyway.

Back