*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

Nesh said:
Many media say that the accounts of 77 million members have been compromised which is misleading.. There arent even 77 million PS3's out there. Many of us have multiple accounts. 77 million accounts may be out there but certainly not members. Also is it completely certain that all 77 million account information have been compromised?

Families can also have multiple accounts for dofferent users.

77 million total accounts, but they also mention that only around 10 million or so actually have a registered credit card. Which gives an indication of how many truly "active" accounts there are.

Families can also have multiple accounts for dofferent users.
Yeah that happens. But can you quantify how many?
Also that doesnt mean all members of the family have put their details or real info in the other accounts. Families may have multiple profiles in one PS3 without PSN accounts except a main one that will use for movie and game purchases. And if they use multiple accounts there will be in many cases duplication of personal info or fake info because they will simply want the access to PSN.
I for example have one main PSN account and multiple others for my sibling etc which do not contain any real info.
No reason to store real info in all accounts

It's safer to assume that the number of active accounts sits at ~50 million. The rest are made up of multiples and dead accounts.

To get that much data (77 million plain text records) wouldn't be very hard at all. At most it would be a couple of Gb and if they had any kind of system level access they could easily have piped the data from the db through gzip or bzip2 to reduce the size. SCP that off server and delete your key entry from the sshd conf and you're done. The only thing that would remain would be your access footprint e.g. initial IP logging and system logging for shell access and also httpd.

Didn't Sony themselves say the real number was around 38 million actual individuals? I thought that number came out of the press conference at the same time as the 10 million registered card numbers figure.

Just got my second mail, this time from SOE from my long since abandoned Station Pass account. At least I don't have to regret the decision to put real info in when I set up my PSN account. My info was getting out anyway.

It's safer to assume that the number of active accounts sits at ~50 million. The rest are made up of multiples and dead accounts.

To get that much data (77 million plain text records) wouldn't be very hard at all. At most it would be a couple of Gb and if they had any kind of system level access they could easily have piped the data from the db through gzip or bzip2 to reduce the size. SCP that off server and delete your key entry from the sshd conf and you're done. The only thing that would remain would be your access footprint e.g. initial IP logging and system logging for shell access and also httpd.

Don't forget 77 Millions is all PSN, so PS3, PSP and also accounts created before PS3 launch. And double accounts.
If you want numbers of user/system linked to PSN, Sony give them, 37M PS3 and only 16M PSP. I really surprised with the PSP number, it seem very low toward the sell number? PS3 on other hand got a high rate . Around 80% if you're base on 50M "shipped", and more high around 90% if base on 41M "sell", really good. Only 10M of CB, so PSN had a very big growth potential, or Sony have to push card point for buying content. A good thing to avoid CB stole fear. ;)

Didn't Sony themselves say the real number was around 38 million actual individuals? I thought that number came out of the press conference at the same time as the 10 million registered card numbers figure.

Yes, i heard that as connected systems or something like that. I wondered if it was "current" or if it was in the entire lifespan of PSN, and if it includes PSP´s Since some PSP/PS3´s must have died and some never ever connected to the internet.

In anycase, if we just say it´s 38 million PS3 then 20% of the useres will never be able to buy games, rent or buy movies in a "download" only world. Good info for our disccussion on that subject.

And the 10 million credit cards hints at how many actually buys DLC unless you can buy PSN money on cards?

You can buy PSN credit on cards. You will also have child accounts using a parent account to buy, so one credit card serves multiple users, though not multiple consoles. Given the willingness of people to buy over iTunes and the like, I don't think the low card-use level on PS3 is indicative of a limited DD future.

You can buy PSN credit on cards. You will also have child accounts using a parent account to buy, so one credit card serves multiple users, though not multiple consoles. Given the willingness of people to buy over iTunes and the like, I don't think the low card-use level on PS3 is indicative of a limited DD future.

It´s an indication of how many that use it now, the future is only to be predicted and guessed about :)

It´s an indication of how many that use it now, the future is only to be predicted and guessed about :)

Not a good indication... of course, I'm just one person, but neither my PSN nor XBL account have my credit card details saved. Admittedly, I got into both somewhat late (a few years back) so I don't know if that's only possible now with the retail points cards. At any rate, I renew XBL, and add points to XBL and PSN via. cards that I buy, usually from amazon, because they have "online redemption codes" I can use. Oddly enough, there are times when it's cheaper to buy the physical card from amazon vs. the online code. Especially considering I get them with free shipping... it's strange.

These are fairly equivalent:
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-4000-Points-Online/dp/B001V7QIDY/ref=pd_sim__3
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstat..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304528927&sr=1-4

XBox only (since PSN+ isn't sold via cards yet):
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Mon..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304528948&sr=1-2

It's none of the above. Sony would be stupid to fake it with the FBI and congress involved. But i could hack into something a put a file on their that this was the chinese mafia and that doesn't mean it was.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/04/sonys-response-to-the-u-s-house-of-representatives/

In SONY's response to the US House of Representatives, they mention a planted file on an SOE server named "Anonymous" with the words "We Are Legion".

Is this clear evidence that Anonymous were indeed involved in this hack? Or do people still believe they're just a 'scapegoat' for SONY's failure? I'm thinking the former...but that's my uneducated opinion.

Could be. Could be an individual or small group of Anon members acting independently of the main group. Could also be a misdirection attempt by the perpetrators. We'll probably never know for certain unless the perpetrators are caught.

It's none of the above. Sony would be stupid to fake it with the FBI and congress involved. But i could hack into something a put a file on their that this was the chinese mafia and that doesn't mean it was.
Absolutely. help point the finger the other way. Also Anonymous isn't really an organisation as I understand it, but an umbrella term, so it can't be attributed to them. Could be one guy acting alone but using their name, although I'd say it's not them at all. This is (organised) crime hunting for card or personal data, or some teenager poking around seeing what he can do!

I'm sorry to tell him but just about every company runs obsolete software. Mainly cause server upgrades sometimes even just plain windows updates on a server is a pain in the ass. So a lot of companies tend to get to the state of it works how we want it to don't touch it we don't want to break it. So they only upgrade when they have issues.

Back