Remote desktop broken

Oke since this day I have this really weird problem. For some reason I cant RDP to my media server anymore. I didnt change anything. I did got a virus warning, removed that, started asking for my xp sp2 cd, which I didnt put in but after that it didnt work anymore. So I reinstalled sp2 but that didnt help. Used windows update along with the new RDP client, didnt work either. No sp3 as than the hacked multi user logon wont work anymore and I need that.

The error I get is:

client could not connect to the remote computer.

Possibly the remote computer is not prepared to receive connections or is the computer to busy to accept any new incomming connections. There also could be a network problem.

Thing is, it gets a IP, it can go online and everything, if I RDP from my htpc to my own pc it works fine so RDP isnt broken, the firewall settings are correct and I didnt see anything strange in the event viewer.

I also have no problems taking over with VNC so network stuff is all fine I think.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

I'll ask a possibly dumb question -- what to the event logs say on the server you're attaching to? While diagnosing some RDP issues at the office, I found RDP errors logged under an "Application popup" event as whatever that RDP.DLL file is having problems. The source of my pain urned out to be a bunk video driver if you can believe it; reinstalling the NV video driver did the trick.

I wasn't RDP'ing into a server operating system though, this was a workstation that was being used as a task box burried in our network data center running XPSP2. This probably has nothing to do with your exact error, most of this little side-story was to suggest looking at the event logs :)

Eventview doesnt say anything (it doesnt like me). But I fixed it already. Seemed that for some reason the terminal service .dll was gone with the wind. Maybe because I use a adjusted one for multi user logon. So I set the official one from my pc back and then it worked again.

Weirdly eventview didnt say anything about damaged .dll's or the terminal service service that wasnt able to run.

Heh, go go windows event log! :p

It's usually helpful for me, but not always. But I agree with you, there should've been an error about the service being unable to start -- or errors about how the windows system files protection thingie couldn't retrieve that DLL...

Back