Registry problem, something is deleting stuff from HKCU\...\Windows\Run

Interesting...FYI I also uninstalled...ran CCleaner...rebooted...installed the nvidia 190.38 drivers and I have zero problems.

But you are still on Win7 right? I am on XP32 SP3.

Anyway, I have to reiterate my apology for falsely accusing Creative for doing this. Sorry!

But you are still on Win7 right? I am on XP32 SP3.

Anyway, I have to reiterate my apology for falsely accusing Creative for doing this. Sorry!

Ah I must be brain dead. Yes I forgot about the OS difference.

By the way I think that was a cool bit of investigative work on figuring out that nwiz.exe thing! :)

Hehe, don't give me the credit, thanks to Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell www.sysinternals.com because they made the utility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also opened a ticket at XFX, because my card is an XFX. They should have more clout in reporting the issue to nvidia.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager apparently solves the problem, but the XFX guys didn't tell me this. They couldn't duplicate the issue and wanted me to reinstall my goddamn OS, because it is my fault and not their fault even though I provided a screenshot where nwiz.exe was caught red handed when it deleted the key.

The desktop manager is bundled with the driver, automatically installed and deletes a legit registry key it didn't create on Windows startup. Great stuff.

I've found at least one other person who has this problem too

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=301054

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you think "the XFX guys" can do about it, considering they don't actually MAKE these drivers... Nvidia does.

And if this issue is so rare it only happens to a couple people (or at least so few that only a few post about it on the intertubes) then chances are it's the kind of bug that's produced by a wonky windows install, and a spring cleaning and fresh install will fix your issue. :D

Not sure what you think "the XFX guys" can do about it, considering they don't actually MAKE these drivers... Nvidia does.

And if this issue is so rare it only happens to a couple people (or at least so few that only a few post about it on the intertubes) then chances are it's the kind of bug that's produced by a wonky windows install, and a spring cleaning and fresh install will fix your issue. :D
As I said earlier, they have more clout than me with nvidia. They can escalate this issue and communicate directly with nvidia engineers.

Seems like the 190.62s fix this problem. Haven't experienced it yet with them anyway.

Back