Recommend A Cheap ($500~) Notebook

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
Or a place that allows heavy configuration of one. I'm checking out places right now to buy a notebook computer for my wife, it doesnt need power, intergrated graphics are fine. I think my only real requirment is wireless, 512MB of memory, and over an 1:30 battery life. I'm willing to checkout as low as P3 notebooks.

Any help would be great, thanks.

you could prolly get a semi decent refurb PentM for around 550-600 usd, even less if you find a decent rebate. but those are "special" sales you need to look for...
allso Toshiba Sattelites go pretty cheap for the basic(CellronM 1.2-1.4 256mb ram) around 600usd. you could pickup some elcheapo Ram from newegg or somthing(comp USA is selling Notebook 256mb DDR for less then 30usd) and just upgrade to 512. Acer has allso some good AMD Semperon notebooks but they are higher then you`re budget 630-650.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to any major airport, find a guy in a cheap suit with a nice laptop and start buying him a few drinks....when he goes to the bathroom take it and run! :devilish:

digitalwanderer said:
Go to any major airport, find a guy in a cheap suit with a nice laptop and start buying him a few drinks....when he goes to the bathroom take it and run! :devilish:

Tempted!

This is mainly for my wife, so when we go on trips she has something to view images on/work in photoshop. She's a photographer and just recently bought a Canon 20D and some of really nice lenses (wow those things are expensive!) so I wanted to get something this Xmas that she could use. Doesnt need any power really to it, just something basic and we wont be viewing the images out in the field so battery life is not of extreme importance.

You can buy brand new Acer laptops for around $500, but you'll have to wait for a special sale or rebate. I was going to get one awhile back at CompUSA.com so I know they exist.

digitalwanderer said:
Go to any major airport, find a guy in a cheap suit with a nice laptop and start buying him a few drinks....when he goes to the bathroom and take him there and run! :devilish:

hmm... :devilish:

I was JOKING! Please don't steal nice laptops from stupid corporate businessmen, it isn't nice. :(

From all reports though, it ain't real hard....sometimes I really regret this whole "settle down and straighten out" phase of my life. :rolleyes:

(But never for long, I'm not that stupid! ;) )

PC-Engine said:
You can buy brand new Acer laptops for around $500, but you'll have to wait for a special sale or rebate. I was going to get one awhile back at CompUSA.com so I know they exist.

I actually saw a really nice one on Newegg for about $580 recently, but its since gone up.

Just aim for a screen with nice viewing angles, if your wife's going to view images. I got a Tosh Cel-M 15.4" widescreen for around $500-600AR from CUSA last Christmas, and it's great except for the relatively narrow viewing angles of the screen. Try to see the screen in person, and aim for one labelled BriteView or whatever each individual company calls the coating that makes blacks blacker, etc.

FYI, according to a NYTimes article, apparently Walmart's Black Friday sale includes a $380 name-brand (HP? Tosh?) laptop--no rebates. Start queueing now! :)

If I were buying now, I'd aim for one of the new 14" WXGA widescreens. Nicely dense pixels, probably better for viewing large photographs, and reasonably compact size for travel. The Compaq version doesn't go for much, IIRC, but I'm not sure if it's hit $500AR yet. Check CUSA's, CC's, and BB's circulars. You can always install an extra 512MBs yourself.

I got a 20d as well. I find high res screens are a must so consider that when getting a lappie. What lenses did she get btw?I have only a 17-85 lens. Poor student.

suryad said:
I got a 20d as well. I find high res screens are a must so consider that when getting a lappie. What lenses did she get btw?I have only a 17-85 lens. Poor student.

She bought a Canon 35mm wide angle, a Canon 75-300mm telephoto, and some macro lens that I cant think of off hand.

As for the notebook, I've been continuing to search. A found a place, PC Nation Unlimited that actually had some very cheap Gateway's I believed they are refurb's, but that's not an issue, as they did carry a 90 day warranty and I will surely run them through the paces before that period is up. But I'm not so sure if the company is very good, Pricewatch's rating was a 74% positive (rather low to me) and I havent gotten around to checking at other places yet.

Back