Realistic/Simulator Racing Games: I Always Spin Out! Help Please?

Hrmm - in that case make sure you're turning on ABS. I don't consider ABS a "cheat" or "aid" since you'd be hard-pressed to find a high performance car that didn't have it on.

Not to mention that Forza's idea of lets always block all wheels 100% at 50% braking power is rather idiotic, imho. Not that I still don't always drive without ABS, but that's because I'm just about as big of an idiot. ;)

Actually left-foot-breaking made CMR: Dirt a lot easier for me as the car handled itself much better. Not sure if it works as good on asphalt

Dirt seems more of an arcade game than a sim to me. Personally I brake and accelerate with the one foot.

Not sure what Forza is like as far as sims go, I've never played it. My experience is with rFactor, GTR2 and Race WTCC. They are all based on the same engine so are pretty much of a muchness.

Just to derail the thread a little bit.. Would anyone here who's played both Forza 1/2 and an ISI engine game like to compare the two? I would guess (could well be way off base here) that the driving model is more forgiving on Forza because most people will be playing with a standard controller instead of a wheel.

Not trying to start any arguments here! So don't hurt me! :D

Dirt seems more of an arcade game than a sim to me.

Of course it isn't simulator but in fact the left-foot breaking works really well in real-world too, just ask any rally drivers or my roommate who uses it a lot when taking tight corners ;)

bigsilly:

It sounds like you're still braking too late and too hard, so the car is just carrying all its weight forwards and can't get it turning. First off, it's quite hard getting an appreciation of speed in racing games on a computer I find, 55mph for a tight corner in an Audi TT is about reasonable.
Also, try a different car maybe, you might find a rear-wheel drive car balances itself a little more comfortably for you to drive, especially at that sort of power level again.

PARANOiA:

True about ABS to a level, but hit the real performance cars and very few of them have ABS or at least lack the ability to turn it off. TVR, Marcos and Noble still don't fit it to their cars, Ferrari's pretty much all have the ability to turn it off or at least limit its effects to only recover extreme locks.
Basically ABS is brilliant for 99.5% of drivers as it's very difficult to hit the extreme limit of a tyres grip, but ABS does still tend to kick in marginally earlier and more heavily than a very good driver would, so for absolutely peak performance for an exceptional driver it's still better off... In the context of the game though, yes, ABS. :)

As regards hoho's comment about left-foot breaking, great if you're in a (semi-)automatic, a little difficult in most manuals and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it for the first time in any conditions other than slowly and on clear roads, most people haven't developed the level of dexterity and touch in their left foot that they have in their right so tend to over-brake.

Hi again! Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble now --

Instead of spinning out, I'm sailing aimlessly. :(

Whenever I try to take a turn, I'll let off the gas a good while before, then bring up the brake slow as I come into the turn. But what happens, is I'll pretty much just keep sailing right through, "drifting" almost, until either I slam into a wall or push my E-Brake on.

I'm playing Forza Motor Sport 1 on X-Box, and with my D-Class car, an Audi TT, I can't take turn number 4 of the European Open Silverston Circuit Short at anything above about 55 MPH. Over that, and I sail aimlessly, as I typed above. If I go around that figure or below though, I can take it fairly okay, maybe occassionally slipping out into the grass just a moment or two. What's frustrating is that my computer opponents don't seem to lose nearly as much speed. Is this pretty normal, or what?

Also, should I be playing with ABS and the other "friendly" systems on, or should I turn them off?

Okay, thanks again, bye!

55mph is probably right. You'll find that the maximum speed you can take a turn at is remarkably similar for a wide variety of cars. That's not to say they are the same, but they are generally much closer than their maximum speeds or accelleration, for instance. ;) There are a lot of reasons for that, which I'm not going into now. :D

In the case of the AI, you have to take into account that they may be tuned up in Forza 1. I can't remember 100% anymore what the options are for watching / downloading best laps, but well.

Rear-wheel drive (especially road) cars in Forza are the most difficult (and unrealistic) to drive of all drive trains, so I'd ignore that tip. ;) You're driving the 4WD TT though I think? The 3.2 liter one?

By the way, the apex example above is only valid for high-speed cars and when the turn is followed by a long stretch of track immediately afterwards. If you're driving a slower car, you'll want to make as smooth a line into the turn and keep carrying as much speed as possible to the exit of the turn. And if the turn is followed by another one almost immediately, then your exit speed becomes less important in all cases, except again when you have a slow car of course. ;) The slower your car, the harder it is to get it back to speed, and the longer the stretch of track that follows where you can accellerate to hearts content, the more time you'll lose by coming out of the turn slower.

i do wider hairpin turns with the same method in mind... aim towards the apex, stay in the inner track and accelerate out of the apex. the only time i would use the method as illustrated above, is when it is a very tight hairpin turn... but thats just me of course. :smile:

I hairpin turns by figuring out how to exploit the physics engine so that I can slam off the wall and bounce just right to keep going. And finish fourth. Because I suck at racing games. ;)

Back