Rate the "nextgeness" of upcoming titles on a scale from 1 to 10

The end of the clip? Edit: Ah, you meant 19:30. I'll fix that for you, and watch Tchock eat his words. ;)
Ah thanks, a terrible mistake on my behalf :).

Didn't you just prove my point? The city is loaded in-engine, but the amount of buildings rendered in the wireframe only really tend to mid-ground of the scene- the bigger buildings are real and in LOD (the escape scene). Guerilla loves their mattes and projection mapping, and you'd have seen much of it in earlier Killzones.

Moving the goalpost much? First you said much of the city is offline rendered then when you are proven wrong, you shifted to the idea that only mid ground city is 3d even though clearly the dev said the entire city scape is realtime 3d rendered. GG don't do matte painting, everything is 3d model in that level, even though some of them do look low poly but that's because you don't need a million poly mesh to represent a rectangular building.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130627032820/killzone/images/6/62/City_Killzone_003.png
http://d15uu3l1sro2ln.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/killzone_shadow_fall_9.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/5/5/9/1/7/3/3.png
http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2a/2a5f5b87_Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Trailer_Screenshot_04.jpeg

I put everything I have seen so far:

10) Ryse, Star Citizen, Deep Down First Trailer, Dark Sorcer Teck, Quantum Break,
9) The Order (could be a ten I need to see more, but as a trailer QB impress me far more graphic wise) The Division, Battlefield PC reveal,
8) KZ:SF, Forza 5, Titanfall, Second Son, the Witcher 3,
7) Driver Club, Killer Istinct, Resogun, AC,
6) Call of Duty, Deep Down actual game, Crimson Dragon,

This list has to do only with "nextgeness" , i.e. the impact of what my eyes seen.
Titanfall could seems to be too high, but the game in movment and the gameplay, are so nextgen to me.
Also I have seen that there is a big movment behind Resogun, but while the game has some incredible looking light and particles effects, the rest of the graphic is very simple and basic, and in the end it is in good company with KI and AC.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys all rank Ryse very highly, of the games I saw during the MS presentation this one probably looked the least next-gen to me. Maybe there's other footage released now which I haven't seen, but the first shown seemed kinda washed out and cartoony in its lighting tech, and geometry did not strike me as particularly detailed either. Better than a triple-A current gen game perhaps, but not excessively so. Animation was stiff, transitions were jerky and movements looked keyframe animated at times.

...But yeah, this is just my first (and sadly, only) impression. I must be missing something it would seem! :)

Check this high bit rate story trailer KKRT linked in the Ryse thread. Yeah it's mostly cut scenes, but supposedly in engine stuff or comparable to other cut scene footage anyway. I know real time cut scenes always look better than gameplay, but this trailer is looking pretty tasty anyway.

direct download
http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images...VIDOC_1_FINAL_1080p2997_ST_H264_15000kbps.mp4

An interesting poll for this thread:
http://www.spawnfirst.com/articles/next-gen-launch-title-poll-results/

LaunchTitlePieChart-1024x589.jpg

In this SpawnPoll, we asked our readers to choose 3 of their most anticipated launch titles for the PS4 and Xbox One. Participants could only vote if they made 3 choices; no less and no more.

Use the whole scale fools :rolleyes: :D

Haven't seen any 9 or 10s yet though, imo. Only basing this on proven in game/engine footage.

8. Dark Sorcerer, NBA 2K14
7. The Order, Infamous SS, The Division
6. Killzone, Deep Down
5. Ryse,
4. BF4, AC4, Driveclub, Destiny
3. Watch Dogs
2. Forza, Titanfall, Knack
1. CoD, KI

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you just prove my point? The city is loaded in-engine, but the amount of buildings rendered in the wireframe only really tend to mid-ground of the scene- the bigger buildings are real and in LOD (the escape scene). Guerilla loves their mattes and projection mapping, and you'd have seen much of it in earlier Killzones.

I see wireframe buildings very very far into the background

8. Division and Deep Down
Division for it's animation and crisp world textures and I'm really impressed by flame effects in Deep Down, especially that whirlwind spell countering dragon flame.

7. The Order, Infamous SS, NBA 2K14
The Order is way too much still in "is it CGI, in game assests CGI or gameplay but with excellect cinematography" territory, I'd give it lower or higher score when we see more. I don't care about Infamous series at all, but it looks great overall. I care even less about basketball, but compared to EA's game, NBA 2K14 really feels like more then generation ahead.

6. Killzone, Ryse, BF4, AC4, Driveclub, Forza Destiny, Watch Dogs, Titanfall
Good art direction and technical stuff that you'd expect to see in first couple into next gen.

I think KI, Knack and Nintendo's stuff look more or less par with previous gen. Sometimes mostly because art direction that I personally disagree with.

Am I the only one who thinks that on PS4, we won't see true nextgeness until Naughty Dog announces their title? Maybe Quantic Dream too?
Then again, Beyond looks simply amazing and will only feel 'last gen' if whatever game (to use the term loosely) QD comes out with has graphics that approach Dark Sorcerer tech demo.

Am I the only one who thinks that on PS4, we won't see true nextgeness until Naughty Dog announces their title? Maybe Quantic Dream too?
Then again, Beyond looks simply amazing and will only feel 'last gen' if whatever game (to use the term loosely) QD comes out with has graphics that approach Dark Sorcerer tech demo.
You could say that about ND, but QD isn't particularly tech savvy. Beyond looks nice, but other than the character animation, lighting and shaders are pretty bland.

GG, were better than ND last gen,IMO. And had a harder time from being a FPS with closer views.

I think ND's TLOU looked pretty amazing for current gen so whatever they come up with for PS4 should look nextgen without a doubt.

Demon's *cough* *cough*

Beyond 3D. Don't forget "Nextgen" gameplay.

For this I'm only considering in game footage running on actual hardware. I agree with Shifty that we have to leave room to grow.

7: Ryse (amazing character models, particle effects)
6: Forza (1080p, fantastic car models, 60 fps)
5: Dead Rising 3 (huge open world, tons of zombies, really steady framerate)
2: Killer Instinct (super fluid)

I don't know enough about PS4 titles to rate them.

Back