Rare keeps franchises

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Ozymandis, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

:evil:

Why are all the threads turning into a fanboy war ?

Either rename the forum FanBoyLand, or stop behaving like children.
    That's really boring, there's no quality thread.

Care about the games (which means gameplay), not the consoles.
    It's all about games people, only about games...

2. Magnum PI

Veteran

perhaps they're working on xbox software for monthes, even years ? who knows...

some ppl left. but the majority of talent ?
    i don't think so.

i don't think MSFT became dumb enough to buy a valueless developper. bizness-wise, MSFT does very rarely commit mistales.

anyway, even in the unprobable case nothing good (software-wise) came for MSFT from this buyout, nintendo at least loose on the psychological level. a lot of nintendo fans did love the work of rare for n64.

3. PC-Engine

Banned

One of the internal emails from an anonymous Rare employee expressed frustration over the fact they have to start from scratch on development for the Xbox hardware. So no they haven't been working on anything yet. They're not even familiar with the Xbox hardware.

4. Qroach

Veteran

Even if he was frustrated, that doesn't mean they hadn't already begun work or had some hardware to play with.

5. CaptainHowdy

Regular

as he just said, and as the words were, that they have to lose everything they were working on and start all over, and they have to learn to work on new hardware, that was straight from one of the coders mouths.

Nothing has been in the works, Rare has not been plotting this, it came as a shock to many of them..

we wont see a Rare Xbox games till 2004 at the least(and that is just SEEING it, at a E3 or such), if you think you will be playing one before 2005/6 , you must be thinking of a different Rare, they could not pull it off when they were at full staff, what makes you think it will change now that they are down to a much smaller staff.

6. zurich

zurich Kendoka
    Veteran

Somehow I think Rare employees are pretty familiar with Visual Studios and DirectX. We're not talking exotic PS2 hardware or anything here...

zurich

7. Qroach

Veteran

Captain you are so full of nonsense. Where are you getting this garbage that they aren't "at full of staff" and other BS. You don't have a clue what they have and youre really trying hard to make the situation sound worse than it is.

As was said earlier this came as a shock that it was microsft purchasing them, but not as a shock that they were up for sale. They don't have to start everything over from scratch. That's quite the exageration. They have to make changes which isn't something not expected with a sale, but considering how small developemtn houses with no consle experience can easily get a grasp on GC and Xbox development, i don't see the talented crew at rare having any real problems.

8. CaptainHowdy

Regular

your the one completely contradicting everything you said to me
    in the past few years now that the shoe is on the other foot.
    back then you were always saying, Rare isnt what they used to be, all the good guys have moved on, they all went to Zoonami and Free Radical Design...

Q, get off your fanboy highhorse, get a clue...and MAKE UP YOUR @#$%ING MIND!!!!!

9. Qroach

Veteran

Captain get you friggin facts straight. You obviously have some sort of problem where you only see what you want to see. I've been saying since last year (before GC was even out) that the only two reasons IMO to own a Nintendo console are :

1. Nintendo games
    2. Rare games

I have NEVER said that!! I don't even know what games zoonami and free radical has made! :evil:

Not ONCE have you seen me say anything bad about Rare. I think you're confusing my arguments with what Teasy and others have been saying about Rare not being the same company. Again, NOT ONCE have I said rare is worse now then it ever has been in the past! I suggest you stop arguing on this, because you really DON'T know what you are talking about! If anyone here is dropping contradictions, it's yourself.

10. MrSingh

Newcomer

Both are PSO Episodes 1 & 2

GC extras
    -GBA games (Nights and Puyo Puyo)
    -4 player on co-op on single machine (no idea if it's available on xbox, maybe)

Xbox extras
    -Voice chat
    -Comes free with 6800 Xbox Live Pack in Japan (inc. 1 year Xbox live fee and communicator)
    -Save to HDD

11. aneep

Newcomer

PSO ep 1 & 2

GC
    -also have card battle

Xbox
    -have extra character (s)

-aneep-

on Rare buyout

if i remember correctly, what happen is Nintendo sell back their shares to Stamper brothers, and they sold 100 percent of the stocks to MS (like Bungie and Take2)

while there must be some of the staffs who felt they wasted their time on GC when this happen, there are also those who look forward to working on something new

full quotes from Rarenet
    http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=32

http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=34

maybe i should just link to the articles, but i'm afarid ppl won't bother to click

-aneep-