Ransomware

zed

Legend
What are yous doing about it?
there's 2 avenues AFAIKS
#1 protection
#2 recovery

now you can't guarantee #1 100%, thus what are you doing for #2, I'm wondering what to do.
buy a thumbdrive, external drive, cloud something else

what would yous recommend?

My top recommendations include: Protection and Backups. Have multiple sets of backups.

I disagree with your point #1. You can guarantee protection via read-only data shares. Mine is served from a different file-server running different OS all via read-only shares, so that knocks out Ransomware and Malware on the WinOS systems from impacting the data.

now you can't guarantee #1 100%
Thats not to say you dont bother with #1

thumbdrive, external drive, cloud something else
depends on how much you need to back up
for me my data fits on a dvd-r
I have disks for my o/s and my games
everything else (eg: browsers/firewall/anti virus) need can be re downloaded

ps: I have a local copy of every file I have ever downloaded from the net (not counting temporary files like a picture I've downloaded to upload to a message board ect)

If you have a Mac, use TimeMachine. This is really good backup software that just runs in the background and keeps versions of files to boot.

Windows Home Server does something similar. Unfortunately Windows Home Server as a platform isn't really a thing anymore. I love my Windows Home Server. :( Unfortunately, I'll have to give it up at some point.

Regards,
SB

I have implemented following for the customers who wanted to listen and invest:
1. Education on how to avoid most common infection points
2. Robust backup systems with daily and weekly backup sets as well as remote backup (or cloud backup)
3. Limit network access to bare minimum for specific users
4. Good and up to date protection

Unfortunately for me, only few customers acted on my recommendations and 2 of them got Lockey ransomware at some point this year. One of them still hasn't changed a thing in their IT system ...

I've had a few customers get crytolocked etc. It's always because they did something stupid.

One of the local hospitals (which is absolutely enormous) got hit with cryptolocker and actually paid ~$17,000 IIRC for the key. The Russians actually gave it to them! In fact I've heard quite a few "success" stories like that.

As for prevention, simply firewalling the entire former Soviet block and China will essentially make you 100% protected from direct attacks like Synolocker.

hats not to say you dont bother with #1
Oh sure but you know the adage "if you are connected to the internet you are compromised no exceptions", The odds of me getting it are low compared to the average user but theres always the chance

depends on how much you need to back up
~200GB sure programs/films/music etc I can reinstall and have no issues getting again (apart from the hassle and timewaste) but I record my own music which tends to take up a lot of disk space. So DVD's are out and plus you dont want to be dealing with heaps of those that are prolly never gonna be used after written.
I was looking online portable USB 1TB drives are cheap as,

whats the best method to do this (eg a piece of software) that will enable me to do the following painlessly

C:\ = SSD 250GB, X:\ = 1TB USB drive

1/ plug in the drive X, backup C: (including windows)
2/ remove drive X
3/ ransomware or something else, thus drives need to be reformatted
4/ plug in drive X, restore C:
5/ reboot and it boots into windows like nothings happened

As for prevention, simply firewalling the entire former Soviet block and China will essentially make you 100% protected from direct attacks like Synolocker.

Most but not all. Some of it also originates out of the SEA region, as well as South and Central America, the Middle East, and some of the poorer and more liberal (those more lax on law enforcement) European countries. There was also the occasional US or Canadian attempt at doing such, but the crackdowns are often quite punishing meaning that most of the people in those countries (as well as the more affluent/strict European countries) that wanted to engage in those activities relocated to countries where it was less likely for them to be caught and if they were caught to suffer little to no punishment.

Regards,
SB

Back