Rainbow Six: Siege

Anyone playing this?

I couldn't be bothered with the beta in the end but did end up picking it up after release. It has a few bugs and issues that the devs have stated they're fixing, but the core gameplay is very compelling despite them, even in PvE.

Only a dozen or so hours in so far but after a massive hiatus from shooter games I think this one might just get me pew pewing again on the regular. It really does offer something that feels different. The majority of my time with it so far has been playing coop vs the AI with a buddy, though we have done a few full multi-player matches.

Nice to see finally see a genuine Rainbow Six game that feels like a modern interpretation of the old classics, such as Raven Shield. As with those games, this can be a very tense and exciting experience as you try to plan out your attack and respond to new dangers as they arise, and winging it when the shit hits the fan.

Well worth looking around for a cheap deal though. The full asking price is a bit steep unless you're very sure you're going to be sinking a good deal of time into the multiplayer. I ended up paying under £30 for it and so far I'd say it's been worth it.

Last edited:
It is extremely quick to earn enough in game currency to unlock everything apart from all the cosmetic options. I've played somewhere between 10-20 hours and have unlocked nearly all the operators and my preferred weapon attachment options. I was certainly jaded when I first loaded it up and saw it had an in game currency system, but after seeing how fast things became available it's seriously a non-issue.

You do need a bit of time to get the hang of each operator, so it's not like you'll be itching for a new one each round on your first few days of playing.

People who buy extras will be those who love the cosmetic bling and perhaps wish to support the game's future development. As this is something I do with Rocket League I don't see a problem with it.

The season pass is fairly devoid of content though. Many who have it are complaining that all it really boils down to is getting new operators a week earlier than anyone else, as the permanent currency income boost is next to pointless as it comes in so fast anyway. Looking at this another way though: as a non-season pass holder you certainly don't feel at any disadvantage.

It's worth noting that in contrast to Battlefield the season pass isn't for new maps. All new R6 Siege maps will be free; not splitting the player base.

Apologies if I come off as a 'proud defender' of this game. I just think it's actually pretty good and the first multi-player shooter that's really grabbed my attention in a very long time, after getting a bit disillusioned with the BF series and the way that headed. I'd like other people to enjoy it too.

Last edited:
This game for sure. This evening myself and my usual shooting partner got in a nice team and ended up making some new buddies. We had an absolute blast with all of us on voice comms.

COD is COD. You know what you're getting and you've played it before. R6 Siege is something different and awesome.

Do shop around though; I bought a Uplay key for roughly half the price of the steam version.

Skip to 15:04 for Total Biscuit's look at why he put R6:Siege in his top 10 games of 2015.

Bought it! Like it! Great feature I didn't know: it has human vs AI game mode...yeah!

Servers are a bit unstable (ps4) with lots of disconnects and laggy.

Looking forwardto playmore tomorrow (2a.m. now...yeah, the game makes fun :)

The only server instability I'm getting is half the time there is a desync after a multiplayer match has completed. Sadly this prevents anyone from gaining the renown (in game currency) for the match they just played. Terrorist Hunt (coop vs AI) seems unaffected by this issue.

While in game it's been perfectly smooth so far, though a friend said he'd been disconnected once. Hit reg and everything else seems spot on to me, though to be fair I only started playing multiplayer after the latest patch, which may not have made it to PS4 yet?

The game is really great...when it works. Constant server issues on PS4, it is not funny...every second match (really!) I get disconnected at various phases...sometimes even losing renown.

But when the game works...it is super great and fun. The intensity in some of the matches reminds me of the good ol' Gears 1 days.

Also, I just realised you can unlock stuff for weapons...lol!!

Are the disconnects happening in between matches or during matches? I'm not sure what good it would do to help the situation but if the game is p2p you have a few more options to get around bad connections than if everything is dedicated

It happens: in the initialisation phase, during loading of map, during the first few seconds of the match, not so much if you are in the middle of the match, but after match before scoring (ouch!) and when trying to proceed to new match.

Played some more...gameplay makes so much fun...still trying to understand the operators and how to use them.

I manage to get about 170-200 renown per match...I need now about 1500 to unlock a new operator...this isn't to bad...so a new operator every 8 matches or so.

Great rounds today! I unlocked two more operators.

I still don't have my favorites! I want to play more with DOC...his self-revive seems quite strong!

Back